Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 10:20 AM

35 posts, read 96,003 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]We have a backyard of size 30*50 feet in our north dallas home. I would like to convert this to hard surface(concrete slabs or some other material) which makes backyard more usable.

My plan is to leave around 5 feets of grass all around and convert the rest to hard surface. I will be using the hard surface mainly as play area(badminton court/ kids bike area ..etc).

I want to know if anyone has done this and what's the thought on this??.

Will this bring down the property value?.

Will we have to careful about the under ground utility pipes(I am leaving 5 feet all around).

Also what is the best material you suggest to use for this...

Thank You in advance for your response....
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 10:47 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Way, way, way too hot. Not to mention it would be a resale issue for most potential buyers. I wouldn't even consider it unless the yard was huge and the hard surface was say 20% of the total and far away from the house.

Also, hard covering will often kill existing trees nearby and you will create an instant drainage problem for yourself.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:50 AM

645 posts, read 835,087 times
Green > Not Green!

Old 07-02-2013, 10:52 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Way, way, way too hot. Not to mention it would be a resale issue most potential buyers. I wouldn't even consider it unless the yard was huge and the hard surface was say 20% of the total and far away from the house.

Also, hard covering will often kill existing trees nearby and you will create an instant drainage problem for yourself.
Beat me to it...

OP--You would be inviting the radiant heat from the Sun to get trapped in your yard and never disipate. LIke it or not, lawns cool off your home and reduce glare.

Also, remember this..Nothing is maintenance free, so if thats what you are shooting for your in for it when you have to repair or remove concrete.

I would run from any home in DFW that had a concrete backyard.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:02 AM

551 posts, read 1,098,602 times
This makes me cringe just thinking about. A nice green yard converted into a slab? I think it would be terrible for resale.

I think you really need to consider if this is something you really want/need. For example why do you need concrete to play badminton? Other than basketball I can't imagine an activity that would better for children to plan on concrete than grass.

Also you have to think about drainage too. With that much hardscaping you'll need to have a plan for where all the water is going to go.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,864,734 times
When we purchased our home, the sellers had covered 2/3 of the back yard with rock to make it "low maintenance." Despite the beautifully updated and spotlessly clean interior, most potential buyers were totally turned off by the rock-filled back yard, and the house sat on the market for 90 days, and the price was reduced twice. We were able to get the sellers to agree to remove almost all of the rocks for FREE as part of the sale, and we got them to reduce the price even more!

Moral of the story: yes, having a back yard that's hard surface (unless its a pool) will absolutely kill your resale potential.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:52 AM

574 posts, read 1,478,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
Also you have to think about drainage too. With that much hardscaping you'll need to have a plan for where all the water is going to go.

Where I live there are restrictions regarding what percentage of a backyard needs to be available for drainage. We have an oversize pool that takes up a good chunk of the backyard. We looked into extending the patio all the way to pool and were told not possible, even though we would still have grass in certain areas of the backyard and both sideyards.

If you decide to go forward make sure to check restrictions in your area. However I would heed others' advice. Most people who move to North Dallas do so in order to gain more of a backyard. If you were in the Park Cities I would say go for it because a lot of people here know they are not getting much of a yard in the first place. But elsewhere might work against you for resale.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:01 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,744,800 times
1) you will likely need a city permit
2) you will have to abide by the setback requirements
3) you better make darn sure you are NOT creating drainage problems for you neighbors. That could make your backyard an extremely expensive proposition

Old 07-02-2013, 12:22 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,289,720 times
Nooooooo!!!!! Don't do it. If you want to convert part of your backyard to a sport court surface, that would be a better alternative to solid concrete. You are limiting re-sale and de-valuing your home SIGNIFICANTLY by proceeding with your plan, so unless it's your "forever" home, I'd really really re-think this decision.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,093,624 times
I've thought about getting rid of all the grass in our backyard and going with an artificial lawn. We have a two story house, and between that and our fence, large portions of the backyard don't get much direct sunlight, so grass growth is sparse. I could also stop watering the backyard and mowing, obviously.

Resale consideration is the only reason why we haven't moved forward, but since we're about to get a new fence installed, we may go ahead with this at the same time. I definitely would not do concrete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas