Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 09:40 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times

Advertisements

Sorry I made an error earlier. TAMU begins sending out acceptances in a couple of weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 10:28 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
Quote:
Tamu is big in repeat offenders
I think that is the best way I've ever heard anyone describe Aggies. Ever.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:40 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Thanks

Old 08-30-2013, 06:52 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
For UT, sure.

I think TAMU is more ambivalent about it.

On the one hand, they get stuck with some marginal Top 10%ers - although the completely clueless ones are at UT. The ones at TAMU at least had enough sense to realize they'd be over their heads at UT.

On the other hand, a lot of those "academic admits" at TAMU - the ones in the 11th -25th range - are the very students who would have gone to UT in a completely merit-based system.

I'd guess the overall effect is net positive for TAMU.
I can't even imagine sending one of my kids down there who was an auto-admit who also didn't competitively earn a slot outside of the warehouses of auto-admit kids in arts and sciences. UT says that for this fall 75% of its in-state allotment will be taken up buy top 8% auto-admits. Generally speaking the kids in the top half of that cadre are going to be fine and they are auto-admits but almost all them will get into one of their first one or two major selections. The other kids in that group get stuck - excepting the 2/3% who make heroic efforts and marks their freshman years and gain admittance into better majors.

Next year the quota moves to 7%. When it gets to 4 or 5% it'll be manageable for UT.

One of my daughter's friends could not get into either business, geology, engineering or IT nor was she an auto admit at UT. She was a outside the top 10% at Ursuline, really solid test scores (32 ACT IIRC). She ended up with a nice SCHOLARSHIP at one of the schools is listed above. What we are doing to UT is an absolute shame.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:23 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
What we are doing to UT is an absolute shame.
Speaking as a UT grad...I agree, but it's not "we". Put the blame where it belongs: The Lege. We have this asinine rule thanks to HB 588 which was a reaction to Hopwood v. Texas.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:15 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Speaking as a UT grad...I agree, but it's not "we". Put the blame where it belongs: The Lege. We have this asinine rule thanks to HB 588 which was a reaction to Hopwood v. Texas.
Agreed.

You also have to wonder if UT has done any studies on the graduation rate (or even sophomore retention rate) of the auto admits vs the selective admissions group. Considering how many unqualified students I saw at the very beginning of the top 10% era, it can only have gotten worse with more awareness that student #4/50 at South Texas Valley HS or Gun Barrel City HS just has to sign up & show up.

We should be modeling our state schools off what the best ones (UVA, UNC, Michigan, Berkeley) do. I might be wrong, but I don't believe any of those do auto-admitting shenanigans, do they?!

Old 08-30-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Agreed.

You also have to wonder if UT has done any studies on the graduation rate (or even sophomore retention rate) of the auto admits vs the selective admissions group. Considering how many unqualified students I saw at the very beginning of the top 10% era, it can only have gotten worse with more awareness that student #4/50 at South Texas Valley HS or Gun Barrel City HS just has to sign up & show up.

We should be modeling our state schools off what the best ones (UVA, UNC, Michigan, Berkeley) do. I might be wrong, but I don't believe any of those do auto-admitting shenanigans, do they?!
I don't think UT cares about its retention rate except for blacks and Hispanics. When I was a student at UT they did their level best to flunk you out freshman year. Their retention rate back then was abysmal and it's probably no better now. I was admitted to UT pre-HB 588 when UT had more of a reputation for being a lily-white elitist school. I didn't see it that way; almost every black student who applied was admitted and we still had less than 2,000 of them on a campus of almost 50,000 students. Even with racial preferences in place, UT was grossly overcrowded because it was still required to admit any student who met their published admissions criteria. Back then it was a combination of class rank and SAT score; the higher your class rank, the lower your SAT score could be.

Let's put the blame where it belongs, though: THE LEGE. There's so much that The Lege does to embarrass us; let's just add this one to the pile.

I agree that we need to take a long, hard look at higher education in this state. The more people move here, the more of their children they're going to try to pump through our system. The flagships are going to just get more and more competitive and out-of-state schools are going to poach the leftovers because our own systems are underfunded. Why the hell would a Texas kid who didn't get into A&M or UT go to UNT when they could get a scholarship to 'Bama or OU?

Old 08-30-2013, 08:27 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,953 times
Playing devil's advocate:

The 10% rule is less about race, and more about $$$$, and about geographic distribution. The justification of the rule is that UT's student body should reflect the state as a whole.

If UT used nothing but grades and test scores, the kids would be largely middle-class and up, and largely from the Dallas, Houston, Austin, and SA suburban areas. There would be large chunks of the state that would not be served by UT. Specifically, the poor inner cities and the poor rural areas.

And that's why the Top 10% isn't going away. Those directly harmed by it (suburban kids) are concentrated in a handful of districts, while the direct benefit is spread thinly across a majority of districts. Now, UT itself also suffers harm from the rule. But, unfortunately, UT isn't ANYONE's constituent.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:32 AM

149 posts, read 306,971 times
I'd be fine with UT & A&M ending auto-admit, but it's hard to make the case for continuing to support them with the Permanent University Fund and other public funds if they become preserves for affluent students who went through the right school districts.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Playing devil's advocate:

The 10% rule is less about race, and more about $$$$, and about geographic distribution. The justification of the rule is that UT's student body should reflect the state as a whole.

If UT used nothing but grades and test scores, the kids would be largely middle-class and up, and largely from the Dallas, Houston, Austin, and SA suburban areas. There would be large chunks of the state that would not be served by UT. Specifically, the poor inner cities and the poor rural areas.

And that's why the Top 10% isn't going away. Those directly harmed by it (suburban kids) are concentrated in a handful of districts, while the direct benefit is spread thinly across a majority of districts. Now, UT itself also suffers harm from the rule. But, unfortunately, UT isn't ANYONE's constituent.
Affirmative action was a half-assed attempt to "level" the playing field, and I always felt it was too little too late...breadcrumbs thrown on the ground for the kids who managed to run the gauntlet of poverty and crappy inner-city schools and come out decent on the other side. It was insulting.

The top 10% rule is the same, just thinly disguised as something else. It's an embarrassment and to me all it does is highlight the utterly sorry state of public secondary education in this state.

YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas