Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:18 AM

125 posts, read 636,117 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

I'll try to include as much info as possible; and I appreciate any assistance! I am moving to DFW soon - and I'm coming down next week to look into potential areas/neighborhoods.

About Me:
- 30 year old Black female; College educated; great career and owner of small online business; Single; No children; "Mother" to an 8lb dog
- Moving from Atlanta, GA

Why/Where are you moving? Job in Plano, TX (right off of the DNT - Headquarters Drive)
Will you buy or rent? I own a home here in Atlanta area, but I'm looking forward to RENTING in Dallas
What is your budget? Looking for a spacious 1 bedroom apt - $1200 max... possibly $1400 if 'worth' it. I'd like a really nice apt...
What kind of place are you looking for? I like walkable areas - deli, cafe, grocery store.. within short distance... Safety is KEY... would be nice to have a green area nearby (not necc a large park, but some place pet friendly). I also enjoy restaurant options and nightlife (this doesn't necc have to be 'walkable distance' though).
Do you need/want good public schools? Not necc.
Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in - I enjoy areas with 20/30-somethings professionals... diversity is BIG (multi-race; multi-cultural; LGBT accepting)... this doesn't mean everyone has to be a biracial lesbian - lol - but interracial dating shouldn't be frowned upon...

I'm thinking Uptown; Oak Lawn; etc..?? But this is solely based on 3rd hand information... And I'd love to have as many options as possible to check out when I'm in town next week. I assume these areas don't have horrible commutes to Plano b/c of reverse commute on the DNT?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 11:38 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Hello and welcome to the area!

For ethnic diversity, Dallas is a lot like Atlanta in the sense that the most most multicultural areas are suburban as opposed to urban. The most diverse areas of the Dallas area are in Irving, Garland, Plano, Richardson, and Carrollton which are suburbs kind of like the most diverse part of the Atlanta area is Gwinnett. None of the above are very walkable though.

For what youre looking for, Oak Lawn is an excellent suggestion and I would also check out Bishop Arts as well. Its a very quirky area and super gay friendly as well as diverse. Some might say Uptown since it is very walkable, but its very white. Likewise, there are many other areas of Dallas that area walkable but very Mexican or Black. Oak Lawn, Bishop Arts, Lower Greenville, and Deep Ellum are the walkable and more racially mixed areas.

Hope that helps some.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:57 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Welcome! My partner & I are fairly new to Dallas ourselves. Like in any big city, you'll find black, white & brown people pretty well mixed in most areas. If you are looking for a concentration of a certain demographic, then people here can suggest some great areas. But even beyond that, you won't likely feel conspicuous or out of place in most areas.

Bear in mind that especially the Bishop Arts area could be quite the commute to where you'll be working. Most folks suggest looking in areas within a certain distance from your job so you don't spend unreasonable amounts of time commuting.

Good Luck!

Old 09-04-2013, 12:05 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,776 times
Even Oak Lawn sounds like a hike to me. 20+ miles on the tollway. Do you really want to do that every day? Addison might be a good middle ground.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:55 PM

859 posts, read 2,120,300 times
Where do you live now in Atlanta? Based on your criteria what Atlanta neighborhood, would you say would be a plus if you could find in Dallas? Considering your job is in Plano I tend to co-sign CCB's suggestion of Addison. While Uptown/Oak Lawn would have the majority of your wants that commute is not desirable, but considering you are coming from Atlanta you may have a high tolerance for traffic

Old 09-04-2013, 01:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Look into apts at The Shops at Legacy. New area with nightlife. Only caveat is I don't know the price range there. MUCH closer to yoir work.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:40 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,197 times
I'd look at the area around Shops at Legacy - it is right by your work.

The Shops at Legacy

Further out, Austin Ranch or the area around Dr Pepper Park.

Austin Ranch

Dr Pepper Park area - lots of apartments and condos within a mile of it and new ones going up.

The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | MiLB.com Homepage

Some others nearby..but not walkable..

Platinum Castle Hills apartments in Lewisville, TX

http://mustangparkapartment3.reachlo...utm_campaign=1

FWIW, I dated a black doctor for two years and she rented an apartment in the Legacy area. She was from Atlanta and went to an Ivy. We had a blast.

I'd recommend taking a stroll in StoneBriar Mall on a weekend afternoon. You will be stunned by the diversity. I take visitors there to make that point about the northern suburbs.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:41 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
Even Oak Lawn sounds like a hike to me. 20+ miles on the tollway. Do you really want to do that every day? Addison might be a good middle ground.
It's actually not bad. I did it for 5+ years until I got married. It's about 25 min door-to-desk from the Wyliff entrance north to Legacy. Add 5-10 min on the way home. Yea, it's a lot of miles on the car and about $80/mo in tolls, but time-wise, it's the same or less than my coworkers commuting from various neighborhoods in Allen, McKinney, and even Frisco to our Legacy Dr office.

Even though people in my office DO live in North Oak Cliff, personally I think that's too far (about 35-40 min, plus definitely going to get worse now that the 35-30 connector project is about to start).

Old 09-04-2013, 03:41 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
I'd look at the area around Shops at Legacy - it is right by your work.

The Shops at Legacy

Further out, Austin Ranch or the area around Dr Pepper Park.

Austin Ranch

Dr Pepper Park area - lots of apartments and condos within a mile of it and new ones going up.

The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | MiLB.com Homepage

Some others nearby..but not walkable..

Platinum Castle Hills apartments in Lewisville, TX

http://mustangparkapartment3.reachlo...utm_campaign=1

FWIW, I dated a black doctor for two years and she rented an apartment in the Legacy area. She was from Atlanta and went to an Ivy. We had a blast.

I'd recommend taking a stroll in StoneBriar Mall on a weekend afternoon. You will be stunned by the diversity. I take visitors there to make that point about the northern suburbs.
Start with this list for sure. TX75007 saved me a lot of typing time, would have suggested most of these. Heck, at Shops of Legacy and a job on Headquarters, you could almost walk to work.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:16 PM

125 posts, read 636,117 times
Thanks everyone for your input!!! I truly appreciate it!

For those recommending the Shops @ Legacy area in Plano.... from photos it looks great, fresh, etc. - but is it more of a young family vibe or young professional singles vibe? Also, is it diverse? I am reading what folks are saying about StoneBriar Mall which apparently is only a few minutes North; but what about the Shops @ Legacy area specifically? Will myself and TX75007's ex be the only black ladies in the area ?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas