Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 07:20 PM

953 posts, read 1,831,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
The ones arguing that Frisco is the same level are those that are trying to justify sending their students to Frisco rather than Plano. If your student is in the top 10% in Frisco and you know that they would be in the top 50% in Plano, that right there tells you that Plano is better.
Not everybody. "On average" asians will be outliers everywhere. Look at Skaggs elementary. It is 70%+ asians. None in frisco cross 20% except the new lawler park elementary (McSpeeden) when it opens in 2014 is my hypothesis. Having said that, the kid who scored perfect ACT score in frisco this year would have been in top 10% in Plano as well. He is just an example. I have maintained all along having been to a top 10 national university myself that it all comes down to what kids learn at home too. The elementary population in frisco is increasing in asian enrollment by double digits every year. For some more time, enjoy your laurels at Plano.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:24 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,396,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
Stay away from Lawler Park elementary. It is going to be at least 50% asians and will be super competitive. Richwoods and Lawler Park subdivision will feed into it.
Really?

No really?

Everyone doesn't get a trophy or a ribbon. You compete. I assume everyone entering those schools are on an even playing field- so let your child rise to the challenge.

The top kids everywhere will be fine- those are the outliers. Those in the middle are the ones that do bettr by being in a more competitive school where simply more is asked and expected of them.

Last edited by GreyDay; 11-03-2013 at 07:54 PM..

Old 11-03-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
What if the OP WANTS a competitive school?
I was quoting the other poster...

Old 11-03-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Really?

No really?

Everyone doesn't get a trophy or a ribbon. You compete. I assume everyone entering those schools are on an even playing field- so let your child rise to the challenge.

The tops kids everywhere will be fine- those are the outliers. Those in the middle are the ones that do bettr by being in a more competitive school where simply more is asked and expected of them.

FTR- I don't have a kid in Frisco or Plano.
Yes. Really because if u notice I was quoting and telling the poster who went to frisco to stay away from competition.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:48 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,396,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
Yes. Really because if u notice I was quoting and telling the poster who went to frisco to stay away from competition.
Missed it.

I guess the old 'send your kid to the best school that's best for them' adage is appropriate.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Missed it.

I guess the old 'send your kid to the best school that's best for them' adage is appropriate.
Happens to the best of us

I am all for strong competition. I personally think if frisco and Allen become as competitive as Plano, it is best for the area because we will draw a lot of attention to this part of DFW for a long time to come...

Old 11-04-2013, 08:32 AM

794 posts, read 1,671,602 times
FISD is not any where near the elite school district circle of PISD, HPISD, Carroll ISD, or Coppell ISD. That doesn't mean its bad but not nearly as good as our FISD cheerleaders imply.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:10 AM

85 posts, read 144,873 times
NOT EVERYONE CAN attend elite PUBLIC schools. I have only heard good things about schools in FISD. Lots of young people are moving to Frisco, also lots of Asians. Let's see how this unfolds in the coming years.

If your child is in FISD and not in PISD does not mean that they don't have a chance. Parents giving some time/attention to their children after school, stressing on studies helps.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:02 AM

50 posts, read 104,807 times
c john, some more pluses to consider re Plano ISD. First, assuming you are purchasing a home, your school property taxes will be the second lowest in Collin County (only Farmersville ISD has lower property taxes) for a home at the same appraised value which means you will pay less than residents of Frisco, Allen, McKinney, etc. Second, Frisco ISD will continue to adjust its attendance boundaries for its elementaries, middle and high schools for years to come as the population continues to grow. In Plano ISD there are mostly established neighborhoods so school attendance zones are much more likely to be stable so you will know where your kids will be attending right through 12th grade. Also, there is definitely something to be said for the culture of a school system. In October the Superintendent of Plano Schools gave a talk to a civic organization I belong to where he quoted statistics that children going through Plano schools from day 1 have a well over 90 percent chance of passing the state high school graduation exams (and were far superior in passage rates than the state-wide average). (If needed I can try to look up the exact statistics.) If the child started attending Plano schools in the middle school years the percentage of those passing dropped to the mid-80's. If the child started attending Plano schools in high school, then the passage rates dropped to the statewide average (which I don't remember off-hand). The school system culture in major part comes from the seasoned school faculties, many of whom have spent their teaching and/or administrative careers in Plano. Regarding elementary schools in Plano, Mathews elementary in north central Plano is exemplary level as is the middle school Schimelpfenig . If you want a newer, less expensive home still in Plano ISD, consider the town of Murphy on the far east side of Plano ISD. Be sure to visit each elementary school you are seriously interested in and visit with the principal. Intuitively, I like how Frisco ISD has structured its schools so no high school has higher than 4A. As you may know, the three senior high schools in Plano are huge, but these senior highs are only for junior/senior year. The 9th and 10th grade high schools in Plano are similar in size to the four year Frisco high schools. By the way, my wife and I are empty nesters having a home builit in Lawler Park sub-division in Frisco. Our sons graduated from Plano Senior High School and attended the aforementioned Mathews and Schimelpfenig schools. If you are okay with an older home, then I think Plano ISD has the edge as a school system over Frisco ISD. One last by-the-way, for many years Plano ISD has had very forward thinking school boards and administrations. For instance, any school campus that is over 25 years old will get a complete physical renovation and make-over by PISD. PISD over the years has forced itself to have very few portable school buildings even when it was growing in school population by leaps and bounds in the 1980's and '90's. PISD deliberately took the route of building and staffing new schools as fast as possible and going back to the voters for bond issues as needed. This last fact (i.e., very few portables) sold my wife and me on moving to Plano in the late 90's.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:18 AM

794 posts, read 1,671,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekta82 View Post
NOT EVERYONE CAN attend elite PUBLIC schools. I have only heard good things about schools in FISD. Lots of young people are moving to Frisco, also lots of Asians. Let's see how this unfolds in the coming years.

If your child is in FISD and not in PISD does not mean that they don't have a chance. Parents giving some time/attention to their children after school, stressing on studies helps.
Almost every one who can afford a house in Frisco can afford Plano & Coppell homes so it's not true. Its a choice that some put schools on top and others new house on their priority list. Of course every child has a chance to do good in any school district, it's just that title of the thread is PISD vs FISD so you get a comparison. Of course in a decade or two it can be where it is or take a swing for good or bad but we are not fortune tellers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas