Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 05:39 PM

387 posts, read 616,679 times

Advertisements

In a hot market like Dallas people are selling their houses for the top dollars. So Indians are buying it for a pretty penny.

Richwoods is a different story since that community is brand new. In fact most of the ones I know barring one in Avignon at Plano brought brand new. So even if a location does end up becoming a favorite for a particular ethnicity one cant ignore the fact that it was available to everyone at the same time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 06:01 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,219,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
1.) Not all Indians are Hindu. North Indians tend to be Hindu, with some being Muslim or Sikh. People from South India are often Christian (you may notice quite a few with last names like Mathew or James). It won't always be easy to tell at a distance for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayTexan View Post
I don't think that one can generalize that all Indians want to live in little enclaves. That might be happening in Richwoods and some other new Frisco neighborhoods but not everywhere.

For example, on my street, we have 2 Indians, 2 Chinese, 1 Arab, 1 African American, 1 Hispanic and 5 White families. And this is in the Russell Creek area in North Plano (another so called Indian enclave). I am Indian and I sought out a neighborhood like this and bought an older home even though I could have easily afforded a brand new home in Richwoods. If I wanted an Indian majority neighborhood, I should have stayed back in India :-) We are Americans and so are our kids and we want a diverse multi-cultural experience!

And I know several Indian friends like me who have moved or are looking to move and looking for something similar in terms of diversity to what I have.
Hindus still outnumber Christians in South India which is where my husband is from. There is strong contingent of Indians who want to stick with just Indians just like a lot of expat Americans in Africa and Asia stay in American enclaves. Not all Indians such as my husband and our Indian friends are like that. The private school my kids attend is becoming more and more popular with expats and ethnic minorities because they like the diversity and inclusiveness that the school encourages.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:27 AM

140 posts, read 178,873 times
Indians are one of the most non-diverse peoples on the planet. They hire their own, they shop at their own indian stores, eat at their own indian restaurants. This place is turning into India 2.0. Other Asian peoples dont like indians for the most part at all (they wont tell you that). India is a 3rd world cr@phole that can barely keep the power on and for the most part keeps children and women as second class citizens/slaves. The idiot liberals on this board are brainwashed to think diversity is a good thing ... you think indians moving here are just going to adapt to US culture? I dont think so - they bring their 3rd world with them and dont change a damn thing....

Old 12-31-2016, 02:38 AM

990 posts, read 2,304,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminate7 View Post
Indians are one of the most non-diverse peoples on the planet. They hire their own, they shop at their own indian stores, eat at their own indian restaurants. This place is turning into India 2.0. Other Asian peoples dont like indians for the most part at all (they wont tell you that). India is a 3rd world cr@phole that can barely keep the power on and for the most part keeps children and women as second class citizens/slaves. The idiot liberals on this board are brainwashed to think diversity is a good thing ... you think indians moving here are just going to adapt to US culture? I dont think so - they bring their 3rd world with them and dont change a damn thing....

LOL, do you really think there is one Indian culture? A huge place with over 1 billion people, with super diverse customs, languages, religions and lifestyles within the modern country of India alone?

Old 12-31-2016, 12:50 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
Ever been to India? I have many times. If you think there is a such thing as one Indian culture, you must also think Boston and Mississippi have the exact same culture.

Also, India is a pretty impoverished place. Indians in the Dallas area tend to do well for themselves on the whole so no I don't think they want it exactly as it was where they grew up.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:10 PM

422 posts, read 524,555 times
Quote:
The idiot liberals on this board are brainwashed to think diversity is a good thing ... you think indians moving here are just going to adapt to US culture? I dont think so - they bring their 3rd world with them and dont change a damn thing....
It is pretty obvious from your post that you know virtually nothing about how higher education (especially graduate education) works in the U.S. A great many of the Indians (AND Chinese, AND Korean, AND Malaysian, AND Russian, AND British, AND German, AND Swiss, AND Nigerian, etc.) that come here do so primarily to get their graduate (Master's, PhD) degrees. They represent the cream of the educational crop in their respective countries. And when you are talking about India or China, that's a pretty darn fine layer of cream. Our children and our schools benefit enormously from exposure to such smart, hard-working people.

Old 12-31-2016, 03:08 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,179,512 times
Let's stop stereotyping, not all Indians are smart or dumb, forward thinkers or backward, impoverished or rich, hate Pakistan or wish to solve Kashmir issue,Hindi speaking or Tamil, Hindu or Muslim, wanting to assimilate or limit to enclaves, short or tall.

There are millions of them and we can't box them in together. Probably a Tamil speaking, low cast, poor guy has nothing more in common with a well educated, wealthy, Brahmin from north India than Kim Kardashian has with an African American Walmart worker in Alabama.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:00 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Let's stop stereotyping, not all Indians are smart or dumb, forward thinkers or backward, impoverished or rich, hate Pakistan or wish to solve Kashmir issue,Hindi speaking or Tamil, Hindu or Muslim, wanting to assimilate or limit to enclaves, short or tall.

There are millions of them and we can't box them in together. Probably a Tamil speaking, low cast, poor guy has nothing more in common with a well educated, wealthy, Brahmin from north India than Kim Kardashian has with an African American Walmart worker in Alabama.
True, although those who manage to immigrate to the US and buy homes in expensive neighborhoods are more likely to have a lot in common. He may be Tamil and he'll have more in common with that Brahmin than with the average American...they will know exactly how to interact with one another, and there will be a sense of comfort in that for both of them.

I've worked with a great many Indians over the last 17 years (in some cases, I was the only American on some IT teams). I don't have a problem working with them, but, yes, they do tend to enclave in the first generation.

But like every other immigrant group, by the second or third generation, that has dissipated. I've talked to more than one Indian parent of teenagers who was anguished that he had lost hope in being able to control his children's futures in the Indian manner.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:00 PM

422 posts, read 524,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
But like every other immigrant group, by the second or third generation, that has dissipated. I've talked to more than one Indian parent of teenagers who was anguished that he had lost hope in being able to control his children's futures in the Indian manner.
Well put. It's important to remember that, unless you are Native American Indian, your families emigrated here from somewhere. Once upon a time, they may have been socially disadvantaged and discriminated against by those who came before. There but for fortune...
Happy and safe new year, all.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:11 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,219,204 times
Quote:
You're selectively choosing. For every Indian who doesn't assimilate there's plenty like my husband and our Indian friends who assimilate and if you spoke to them on the phone without learning their name first you'd have no idea that they're Indian. When I worked at Northlake College there were tons of young Asian students who assimilated to varying degrees. There were the very traditionally dressed young brides who shyly hung back behind their husbands and didn't speak despite my salwar kameez; there were Muslim girls who wore long sleeve shirts under their trendy outfits but no headscarf; and there were youth whose outfits probably were copied from the latest issue of Lucky and were more interested in hanging out with their friends than studying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas