Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 08:11 PM

129 posts, read 237,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prumio View Post
Well put. It's important to remember that, unless you are Native American Indian, your families emigrated here from somewhere. Once upon a time, they may have been socially disadvantaged and discriminated against by those who came before. There but for fortune...
Happy and safe new year, all.
Your post made me think of this link I found today

How America’s Source of Immigrants Has Changed Over Time

» How America’s Source of Immigrants Has Changed Over Time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 07:29 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
Chinese communities came before Indians and took over most of North Plano within Plano ISD. They are the primary reason why Scaggs/Rice/Plano West are so much better that everyone here brags about. I am not sure what people want - predominantly white neighborhood with highly rated schools without Asian students? If so, please push your kids the same way Chinese and Indians do. It's not the school buildings or teachers or administration that makes those schools great, that's for sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Some people think there's more to life than getting good grades and collecting credentials, and understandably they'd like their children to go to school with children from like-minded backgrounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Why are we assuming that academically competitive people don't value other things in life? That's a very grapes are higher so let's assume they are sour sort of thought to comfort yourself.
I find this exchange pretty funny, since it's always recommended to folks who are looking for "good schools", to buy into the schools that Asian/Indians are clearly carrying the ratings lol. For christ sake you have one guy on another thread who's willing to overextend himself just to get into W.Plano schools.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:13 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,489,659 times
I think most cities will get more diverse.
If you talk to the school admins in the big districts they'll often have something like 80 different languages spoken.
To me that is pretty diverse.
I would think many newcomers will stick to the bigger cities, but not always.
In rural areas you will probably see more Hispanics...but heck we are 50% Hispanic now in Texas so diversity is here.
You'll probably see more international doctors in small towns as their visa may require it or they are willing to take the opportunity. Just had an ER doc friend take a position for something like $250,000/yr in Ft. Worth and could have taken $550,000/yr to go to rural hospital.
If you are in a neighborhood with Asian Indians you may see the "holiday" lights go up early. I saw several neighborhoods in Frisco and Coppell with what I'm guessing are Diwali or Deepavali lights.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:21 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,489,659 times
By the way there are Christian Indians, Christian Pakistanis, Christian Arabs....and if you look at the very basis of most major religions they do have the same values....don't lie, don't cheat, don't steal, honor your elders, work hard, etc. Now all too often in every religion the message can get corrupted and not everyone practices and implements the lessons they have learned. Saw a so called Christian preacher last night in North Texas with 3 big body guards. Now I don't know what he is preaching, but not sure to me if it is the right message if you need body guard protection IMHO.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:56 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post
Saw a so called Christian preacher last night in North Texas with 3 big body guards. Now I don't know what he is preaching, but not sure to me if it is the right message if you need body guard protection IMHO.
It was probably hate speech giving, political tool of the far right "Pastor" Jeffress.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:51 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
Chinese communities came before Indians and took over most of North Plano within Plano ISD. They are the primary reason why Scaggs/Rice/Plano West are so much better that everyone here brags about. I am not sure what people want - predominantly white neighborhood with highly rated schools without Asian students? If so, please push your kids the same way Chinese and Indians do. It's not the school buildings or teachers or administration that makes those schools great, that's for sure
Preach!

Old 01-02-2017, 08:27 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisco19542 View Post
I am sick and tired of people like you. You claim everyone is racist or a bigot. The post your referring to actually explains a lot. For some reason you think I am racist if I think the same way as South Asians.

I get why they want would want to move to an area where there other like them I applaud them for doing so. But if there moving here because they want to socialize with other Indian families then what makes you think I am racist for thinking the same thing.

I have no issue with them as neighbors but when you BBQ steak in your backyard and then your neighbors complains it makes him sick you have wonder especially when you live in Texas. I also agree it hard to relate to someone if they have a different religion, eat different things and watch different sports and different values on how family should live in the same household.

My kids have same problem in school and actually have been the ones to bring up why there are not more people like them. My daughter was told only Christmas was made up and she is a gullible Christian. I would think that most people would agree that is an issue. These are kids so you have to expect this sort of thing. But it a makes me think that area is changing. This after all is the Bible belt and 20 years ago that kid would have had a talking too by the school for saying anything like that and possibly expelled.

There is nothing wrong with this type of thing but at certain point you have to ask yourself is the the same place I moved to. I believe it a big reason you are seeing such an increase in certain areas. There is a lot areas I can move to they can't. The bigger question is to move somewhere that makes sense for me.
This never happened. If it did, we would have heard about it in your first post. Nice try.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:02 PM

371 posts, read 553,998 times
No worries and no apologies necessary. India is a large diverse country and we have all kinds there :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBungo View Post
I did not mean to generalize, I apologize. I meant that the Indians who are all moving into my area of McKinney all seem to be living in Indian enclaves. Not that I'm complaining. I have been to India a few times and have always loved it, and being in IT work with and appreciate my Indian colleagues. The Indians moving into my neighborhood seem to be 1st or maybe 2nd generation Indians, so I can understand that they would want to live in Indian communities since they may not be too familiar with this area. I have often considered moving to an American ex-pat community in Vietnam since I work remotely, so I see the issue from both sides.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:59 AM

242 posts, read 360,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
This never happened. If it did, we would have heard about it in your first post. Nice try.
Look a few years ago they started with saying that you can not have a christmas party in schools. So now they call it winter party. You don't even live in the area so you do not have a clue on what I am talking about.

I didn't bring it up a first because so many politically correct people would focus on it. I am trying to figure out if it's better to stay or move elsewhere. It's very hard to talk about this subject without being labeled a racist.

Have heard stories from many neighbors around here about what the kids say. Not worth repeating. But the schools in frisco are changing a bit. This is the way I feel the teachers are starting to think and it has an effect. If you Indian you are supposed to be a strait A student and if you white you better be into sports and the kids should be spoiled and really don't deserve to get strait A's. Those Kids that don't fit the bill or challenge they system are ignored. It's why I believe you are going to start to see a lot more private schools pop up soon around here.

I moved here and do not care to be a minority in my neighborhood. I have nothing wrong with south asians moving into the neighborhood and I get that they have different backgrounds and expect challenges from it.

From what I can see is the DFW area has a very large presence of south asian population. At some point I would expect this to be a big voting block and that will change how cities and schools are run. I worked in IT so I worked along side these same people and have experienced both really good people from india but have also experienced extreme racism in the workplace from some.

This is no different then if you were in Miami in the 60's and started to see cubans move into the city. The change in the DFW area is not as dramatic as that but never less the area will change a lot from it.

From what I can tell census estimates are old and off by at least 50%. I lived in areas where I was a minority before and it is not fun. People are nice but you are never really included in the same way. so for me it a quality of life issue.

For me I think I am now leaning to sell and move somewhere else. Most likely will not stay in the DFW area because it seems the reason to live here has changed for me. Plus I can take my equity and buy elsewhere now.

Moving to prosper wylie, celina and so forth does not really help solve the problem. Those cities are just extensions of Frisco/Plano.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:54 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,176,660 times
I don't know what you are talking about. I sent three kids to Plano and they had plenty of White/AA/Latino friends who were getting straight A's and plenty of Indians/Chinese who were barely passing and vice versa. No white kid is pushed behind or no brown kid is pulled ahead for academics unless they are work for it. In fact smart Asians and Indians are so common that they have to perform twice as good a white kid and many many times better than an AA kid for top college admissions. Colleges don't want to fill up their classes with one race, they want diversity on their campuses.

Typically Asian/Indians are good in academics and do hard work due to personal inclination/family influence. They are not as involved into ball sports due to family influence. Their parents help them practice for spelling bee and math quiz or science bowl same way white or AA parents help their kids practice for tournaments and tryouts and cheer/dance competitions.

As long as calling a party Christmas or Winter or Funfrst, it just matters to parents, kids don't care. They want to have fun with their friends regardless of their backgrounds. Minority students do feel left out too so schools try to make it all inclusive, which hurts bigot folks.

I think it's about time Americans beat India and China and Norway in math and science and technology and new Americans with high IQ and good work ethics are the best people to get competitive/creative juices going on among rest of the Americans. We can't keep our edge in world with every kid dreaming of playing football, act in Hollywood or dance with JZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas