Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 08:29 AM

387 posts, read 615,534 times

Advertisements

I wanted to write a separate thread for the point you made regarding H1Bs. The main culprit is L visa. I have elaborated below

The myth needs to be busted and only American citizens can bust it. Because politicians on both sides of the house and American industry leaders are feeding lies. Period

The number of H1b's issued are about 60k to employees + 20K to students completing MS in USA Per year on a 'National Basis' thats about 80k jobs a year out of 145 million US jobs!!! (US Employment and Jobs | Department of Numbers) thats a very very small percentage.

The real culprit is the visa no one is talking about which leads to jobs being outsourced or people being shipped (flown probably!!??) to America is the L Visa. The L visa alone explains the rise of Indian population - indiscriminately I may add is due to the L Visa.

So lets drill down a bit - To avail a H1b visa the KEY CONDITION is one has to get labor approval. It has a provision that eventually leads to Green Card and also citizenship down the line - Typical time taken to move from H1b to Citizenship is about 13/14 years! They are certainly not handed out at the airport the moment someone lands as one is lead to believe. I digress the real rub is H1b visa holders stay invested in America - Since they see a future then spend, invest in our housing and economy and contribute to our dwindling Social Security reserves

Now the L visa on the other hand is strictly 6 year term visa with no provision to Green Card let alone citizenship. But the key LOOPHOLE is NO LABOR APPROVAL!!!! This migrant worker is under paid by his Indian company to work in an American company taking away an American job. Since he/she knows they are on a six year term they tend to save like crazy without much contribution to the economy. The only one who profits out of this whole arrangement is the likes of Microsoft, IBM, Google, Apple, Facebooks, Intel and their counterparts in India TCS, Infosys, Wipro, Cognizant etc. The L visa is what should be collectively opposed. If you care a hoot or two then instead of listening to crap doled out during election season write to your representatives, industry leaders and demand they eliminate the L visa or enforce Labor Approval.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
If you are going to make such an insulting comment, CITE YOUR SOURCE. Since you are saying DNA, then it should be from a scientific journal. Can't? Then I consider that a bigoted statement.
If you read my post in totality you will realize the point I am trying to make which is its uppermost on their mind or their top priority. Does that mean each and every one of them? possibly not but the empirical evidence of them being more successful or wealth accumulators might lend credence to that observation

Old 12-29-2016, 09:24 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingon View Post
If you read my post in totality you will realize the point I am trying to make which is its uppermost on their mind or their top priority. Does that mean each and every one of them? possibly not but the empirical evidence of them being more successful or wealth accumulators might lend credence to that observation
I read your post in total and stand by my opinion that you are making bigoted statements.

If there is "empirical evidence" then show it. Cite sources. Anything else is your opinion.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:53 AM

445 posts, read 413,223 times
@Rollingon Your statement about L1 is correct, but that group does not usually buy homes since they are only here for 6 years.
I know a few Indian families where the husband works for a consulting firm with clients in the east and west coasts. They bought home in Plano or Frisco for schools and fly out every week Mon-Fri to their client sites when their families live here - so the even the job doesn't have to be here.
Most Indians also want new constructions so Frisco is more attractive for them. If you add a gated community (for perceived security, because there were targeted robberies in the past), it is guaranteed to be popular among them. Richwoods is a prime example of this.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
I read your post in total and stand by my opinion that you are making bigoted statements.

If there is "empirical evidence" then show it. Cite sources. Anything else is your opinion.
Here's Median Income In The US By Race - Business Insider

https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/rac...5/pdf/home.pdf

https://www.americanbazaaronline.com...ome-of-100547/

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...ian-americans/

http://qz.com/285610/indians-in-the-...died-the-most/

There are other links embedded within the article from Department of Labor

Last edited by Rollingon; 12-29-2016 at 10:08 AM..

Old 12-29-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
@Rollingon Your statement about L1 is correct, but that group does not usually buy homes since they are only here for 6 years.
I know a few Indian families where the husband works for a consulting firm with clients in the east and west coasts. They bought home in Plano or Frisco for schools and fly out every week Mon-Fri to their client sites when their families live here - so the even the job doesn't have to be here.
Most Indians also want new constructions so Frisco is more attractive for them. If you add a gated community (for perceived security, because there were targeted robberies in the past), it is guaranteed to be popular among them. Richwoods is a prime example of this.
We are both in agreement. Thus L visa does not help the American economy to the same extent and in the same way as a H1B migrant. Thus my point that I don't hold the migrants responsible as I know they are the only ones worst off in the bargain while companies at both ends are the beneficiaries.

But the L visa fact was to second my statement why we see a rise in numbers for workers from a particular country.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
We are both in agreement. Thus L visa does not help the American economy to the same extent and in the same way as a H1B migrant. Thus my point that I don't hold the migrants responsible as I know they are the only ones worst off in the bargain while companies at both ends are the beneficiaries.

But the L visa fact was to second my statement why we see a rise in numbers for workers from a particular country.
I agree in general about total number of L1 holders and their temporary nature not helping US economy, but the point of this thread was why so may Indians are moving into Frisco neighborhoods. Unless there are rental properties in those neighborhoods that are leased to L1 visa holders, it's unlikely that the L1 visa holders are the occupants there. It is also hard, if not impossible for an L1 holder to get a mortgage.

H1 holders can get loans and can migrate to another state, in theory. But most H1 holders are also in the process of getting green card and the process may reset if they move to a different state, I doubt they will want to do so. I'd guess it's green card holders and citizens that are coming from the coast after selling their homes and bringing their equities here.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:59 AM

Bp25

I was attempting to cover both points about why so many Indians in 'here' and the other question about particularly in Frisco.

So yes Dallas growth is not a net gain but rather a growth achieved at the expense of other cities. All those inquiring on City data are moving from the coasts and yes they are bringing that equity to Dallas due to the obvious advantages and some not so obvious reasons.

Obvious advantages are 1. Weather 2. Great Schools 3. Newer Stock of houses + bigger houses 4. Safety
Not so obvious reasons: L1 visa holders impacting contracting rates and jobs in other established markets on both the coasts. The astronomical prices on West Coast. The not so favorable weather on the east coast.

I have some insight into Richwoods since I have friends who are Indians living there. One moved from Minneapolis to escape weather, another from Boston because he got laid off as his job was off shored + weather, third moved in from Dubai for a better future.

Here is another input (definitely one off but true). I have a colleague (no marks for guessing his nationality) working with me in NYC who wants to relocate to Dallas in about 2 years since his kids will be ready for middle school by then. He invested in a property and rented it out to his friend (again no marks for guessing his friends nationality either and no marks for guessing what Visa he is on)

Last edited by Rollingon; 12-29-2016 at 11:12 AM..

Old 12-29-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Bp25

Not so obvious reasons: L1 visa holders impacting contracting rates and jobs in other established markets on both the coasts.
Ah, I missed that point. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:36 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Indians come from a country that's largely warm/hot for most part of the year, Dallas checks that box

They feel comfortable with people from their region, Dallas checks...you get the drift

Rightly or wrongly they tend to hang around their own - For the fresh of the boat Indian he/she struggles to strike common ground with Americans outside of professional setting. Eg cant make much small talk about religion because its different, sports same case, Television, movies same issue....look closely and you will see their kids are less in Orchestra, Sports but at the same time are taking piano, tennis classes ....Plus the bigger disadvantage or what holds them back is their accent which acts as a main barrier to communication. Thus being self conscious they are hesitant. On the other hand if you ever had a conversation with a colleague at work you will realize they are eager to share their thoughts.

Another bigger issue is the constant need to succeed and accumulate wealth. Its ingrained in their DNA. So all the activities that American consider as necessary to live a full life seem frivolous pursuits to Indians - their favored pursuit is money. As a social experiment try talking to an Indian or group of Indians about a business idea you have and want to them in as partners!!!! Boy o boy you will get them excited like you have never seen them before.

Lastly the region Indian's come from (The diversity is same as in America)....Indians in America are migrating from other American cities, Indian mega cities, smaller cities and downright Hicksville India, those from Hicksville India are even shunned by Indians. There come from all kinds of economic backgrounds which explains the presence of Indians in areas beyond Valley Ranch, Coppell and Frisco

A word to all Indians reading this post - integrate with your neighbors, they are worried when you don't communicate or just stare at them. And they are posting it on City Data

But the bright side is their second generation coming out of American School and social system will be 100% dyed in Red and Blue Americans - without the accent. Have you read of any of them involved in anti American activities? Well sleep easy then
Your post is offensive and RIFE with stereotypes and condescending statements. You're just as bad as the OP, who doesn't seem to want neighbors living next door or across the street from him just because they are Indian and look different and have a different culture than he does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas