Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 07:13 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,268,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
this is only my 3rd summer here. This is obviously but meh, it's not feeling much more constricting. It's just...hotter.

I still rode my bike around lower greenville. I still went to the pool. Our AC had no problem keeping up and wasn't even running all day. It was cycling on normal intervals (good insulation and a south-facing apartment). I still read outside in the shade and hung out on bar/restaurant patios in the shade. IOW, it's been hot but nothing to drive me away. It just feels like summer to me.

Now, to anyone who has to WORK all day outside, I feel bad for them right now.
I spent about 20 min in a boiler room today at one of my clients. might have been the worst 20 min of my life. Prob about 130 in there with 80% ish humidity. lol

Old 07-23-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Southwest is garbage these days. They are (almost) always more expensive than the competitors. Need to go back to being competitively priced.
Amen. I currently use their credit card for points, but I'll prob switch to American.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:26 PM

80 posts, read 73,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
It's genuinely depressing how many people litter here.

I'm about as conservitarian as they come, but I always grew up not littering and when camping (or even like...ever?) I mean come on, try to not ruin the place for the next guest. I see people trash Texas every day and it annoys me to no end. I gave my roommate (Native Texan 5th generation) a lecture about not littering last week, I don't think he appreciated it, but I simply don't care.
I've never seen anything like it. I seriously regret my decision, but want to make the most of my time here. Yet everytime I venture out, it's depressing.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
I like mountains and don't mind cold weather, but I do need plants and trees. I've found that I get most down in brown, desert-like places.
Different strokes for different folks i guess. I think you get plenty of plants with the pines and aspens in the mountains.

This is a picture of about 30 min from where I grew up. Most locals would consider it pretty ok, maybe a nice day hike, but unremarkable, not "really" into the mountains, just the foothills. In Texas it would be a major tourist site.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7520...7i10240!8i5120

These summers make me homesick more than anything. I miss those cool upper 60s low 70s nights where you sleep with the windows open and fresh air with the hot dry days that are just perfect for tubing or laying in the shade.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:38 PM

80 posts, read 73,461 times
Quote:
Different strokes for different folks i guess. I think you get plenty of plants with the pines and aspens in the mountains.

This is a picture of about 30 min from where I grew up. Most locals would consider it pretty ok, maybe a nice day hike, but unremarkable, not "really" into the mountains, just the foothills. In Texas it would be a major tourist site.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7520...7i10240!8i5120

These summers make me homesick more than anything. I miss those cool upper 60s low 70s nights where you sleep with the windows open and fresh air with the hot dry days that are just perfect for tubing or laying in the shade.

Idaho!!!!

Old 07-23-2018, 07:54 PM

937 posts, read 744,342 times
Quote:
These summers make me homesick more than anything.
I think you are homesick in general here in TX. I felt a terrible existential angst at times all the way out in Colorado like a stranger in a strange, remote land far removed from my people. Part of why I like TX more is because it puts me closer to home back East and the terrain here looks more like what I am used to.

Colorado is way more like what you are used to and it is closer to where you are from. Makes sense that you would strongly prefer living there if you had the opportunity.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:00 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
I think you are homesick in general here in TX. I felt a terrible existential angst at times all the way out in Colorado like a stranger in a strange, remote land far removed from my people. Part of why I like TX more is because it puts me closer to home back East and the terrain here looks more like what I am used to.

Colorado is way more like what you are used to and it is closer to where you are from. Makes sense that you would strongly prefer living there if you had the opportunity.
I feel that way outside of Texas. Not for vacation, but extended stays. People don't act the same is a big part. Not wrong or bad, just different.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:05 PM

937 posts, read 744,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I feel that way outside of Texas. Not for vacation, but extended stays. People don't act the same is a big part. Not wrong or bad, just different.
I find the people here are more what I am used to than what I found in CO. Like you say, not worse or bad but just different and I'm glad to be back in a place that feels more familiar. In my case, familiar is my preference but that's not always the case with people. Sometimes obviously they want a total change from what they are used to for varying reasons and that's fine too.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:16 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeliza View Post
To each their own. Texas is depressing to me. This heat isn't helping. Give me rain, give me evergreens, give me mountains, oceans, and lakes. I moved here for work two weeks ago and have never been so miserable in my life. I am committed to a year here and for me the countdown has begun. There is zero geographical appeal here. No real environmental concern. So sad.
Sucks to be you. Based on your zip it looks like you're from Washington state.

Personally, I would probably have to shoot myself if I lived in WA. Yes the summer is nice but it's only July through September, even June is overcast and foggy sometimes (this year was an exception). The rainy season there is horrible but here it's nice and sunny and mild when you're getting dumped on and have endless cloudy and pitter patter rain days.

Also if you're from WA and used to mountains and oceans then I feel like maybe you didn't research things properly.

My advice is the following:

* Try to explore Texas culture. Go to some BBQ, some TexMex, maybe a Rangers game (they are at night this time of year and if you drink lots of beer and water, for every two beers drink a bottle of water - you'll be okay), in the Fall go to a Cowboys game and visit the State Fair.
* Learn about the history, visit the Stockyards, the Perot Museum, the 6th Floor Museum.
* Learn how to 2 Step and visit an old time "barn"
* Find a lake in the Dallas area to hang out in, maybe take a trip down to Austin and visit Hippie Hollow, a nude beach, that's something you may not have where you are.

I've been in places I didn't necessarily like and it's a struggle but try to find the best you can and after you've "done your time" then go back where you want...

In a way it's good you moved during the heatwave because if you can manage to semi-handle this heat the rest of the summer will not be this hot unless we get another heatwave.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:

Probably, I just find Texas or at least the big cities, too eastern for what I'm used to, I mean I prefer it to further back east, but still, it's different. I feel the most home sick during the summer, fall and ski season. (lol yikes that's alot of the year lol) But I can understand someone might feel the opposite as well.

Right now we need to just survive this heat wave and i'll be happy lol Thankfully it's down to 91 right now??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas