Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 08:52 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,268,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Sucks to be you. Based on your zip it looks like you're from Washington state.

Personally, I would probably have to shoot myself if I lived in WA. Yes the summer is nice but it's only July through September, even June is overcast and foggy sometimes (this year was an exception). The rainy season there is horrible but here it's nice and sunny and mild when you're getting dumped on and have endless cloudy and pitter patter rain days.

Also if you're from WA and used to mountains and oceans then I feel like maybe you didn't research things properly.

My advice is the following:

* Try to explore Texas culture. Go to some BBQ, some TexMex, maybe a Rangers game (they are at night this time of year and if you drink lots of beer and water, for every two beers drink a bottle of water - you'll be okay), in the Fall go to a Cowboys game and visit the State Fair.
* Learn about the history, visit the Stockyards, the Perot Museum, the 6th Floor Museum.
* Learn how to 2 Step and visit an old time "barn"
* Find a lake in the Dallas area to hang out in, maybe take a trip down to Austin and visit Hippie Hollow, a nude beach, that's something you may not have where you are.

I've been in places I didn't necessarily like and it's a struggle but try to find the best you can and after you've "done your time" then go back where you want...

In a way it's good you moved during the heatwave because if you can manage to semi-handle this heat the rest of the summer will not be this hot unless we get another heatwave.
Hey, they might not have had alot of choice in the matter, might not be lack of research.

I think you have some good ideas!

I would recommend visiting the Alamo and the other Missions. I actually thought the other missions were cooler personally.

Read the Texian Iliad by Hardin, its fun, easy to read and informative.

Watch Giant? I mean it's a classic.

I like all the museums in DFW, they all are pretty decent.

Billybobs and the Stockyards are worth a visit. I mean they are kinda tourst traps, but at least you can say you did it. The Stockyards are better during the week IMO.

State Fair is hot, pretty much everything is over priced, and crowded, but it's worth doing. Not my favorite State Fair, but it's huge and I go every year.

Don't go to Hippy Hollow unless you like seeing old fat men naked. You have been warned.

BBQ, Mexican, and TexMex are a given, but give the Indian food a shot, it's one of the best parts of living here IMHO.

If you don't like the heat don't go to a Rangers game. Not only are the rangers terrible, but it is hotter than hell in there. Seriously. I've been to 15-20 rangers games over the years, and the only way you will get me to go in July or August is if it's in the company box with AC. Last year I went and was miserable in late August with no shade for an afternoon game. I mean, maybeeee go if Big Sexy is pitching....but other than that? Naw.

Do go to a Cowboys game.

Do go to a TCU game.

Do make the drive and go to a OU game.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:34 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
To get back to the topic, it was far better this evening than it has been for several in a row. I felt completely comfortable to walk the dog and stand outside chatting. The a/c is not struggling after midnight like it was. I'll take what I can get. Praise Be!

Old 07-24-2018, 07:25 AM

6,697 posts, read 9,952,165 times
A “cold front” came through the area yesterday. Today, the high temp will be 98 degrees (a brief relief)...but you know it’s summertime in Texas. After today, high temps will range from 100 to 104 until Sunday. After Sunday, there’s a possibility of a stronger “cold front” with a chance of rain. High temps will be in the mid 90s, that’s below normal for August.

Last edited by Dallaz; 07-24-2018 at 07:34 AM..

Old 07-24-2018, 03:41 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
A “cold front” came through the area yesterday. Today, the high temp will be 98 degrees (a brief relief)...but you know it’s summertime in Texas. After today, high temps will range from 100 to 104 until Sunday. After Sunday, there’s a possibility of a stronger “cold front” with a chance of rain. High temps will be in the mid 90s, that’s below normal for August.
Yay! Hey, I am down with any sort of cold front. Rain would be lovely.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:49 PM

80 posts, read 73,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Hey, they might not have had alot of choice in the matter, might not be lack of research.

I think you have some good ideas!

I would recommend visiting the Alamo and the other Missions. I actually thought the other missions were cooler personally.

Read the Texian Iliad by Hardin, its fun, easy to read and informative.

Watch Giant? I mean it's a classic.

I like all the museums in DFW, they all are pretty decent.

Billybobs and the Stockyards are worth a visit. I mean they are kinda tourst traps, but at least you can say you did it. The Stockyards are better during the week IMO.

State Fair is hot, pretty much everything is over priced, and crowded, but it's worth doing. Not my favorite State Fair, but it's huge and I go every year.

Don't go to Hippy Hollow unless you like seeing old fat men naked. You have been warned.

BBQ, Mexican, and TexMex are a given, but give the Indian food a shot, it's one of the best parts of living here IMHO.

If you don't like the heat don't go to a Rangers game. Not only are the rangers terrible, but it is hotter than hell in there. Seriously. I've been to 15-20 rangers games over the years, and the only way you will get me to go in July or August is if it's in the company box with AC. Last year I went and was miserable in late August with no shade for an afternoon game. I mean, maybeeee go if Big Sexy is pitching....but other than that? Naw.

Do go to a Cowboys game.

Do go to a TCU game.

Do make the drive and go to a OU game.

Not due to lack of research. Texas provided an opportunity I didn't have in Washington. For that I am grateful, but doesn't change the fact that it's hard. Especially when Dallas was as hot as it was when I arrived. That said, I thank you both for the suggestions. Have a great night!

Old 07-24-2018, 07:57 PM

6,697 posts, read 9,952,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeliza View Post
Not due to lack of research. Texas provided an opportunity I didn't have in Washington. For that I am grateful, but doesn't change the fact that it's hard. Especially when Dallas was as hot as it was when I arrived. That said, I thank you both for the suggestions. Have a great night!
It’s summer. It isn’t going to last all year. Trust me, there’s a lot of variation in the weather. It’s just naturally hot and dry this time of year. Once fall and winter gets here...you won’t even be thinking about the heat.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:40 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,268,151 times
Question: if this heat wave is actually from the Sahara, when it finally rains, can we bless the rains in Africa in Dallas? Asking for a friend.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:09 PM

989 posts, read 2,442,578 times
Quote:
Question: if this heat wave is actually from the Sahara, when it finally rains, can we bless the rains in Africa in Dallas? Asking for a friend.
Toto, is that you?

Old 07-25-2018, 05:24 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,560,569 times
As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti

Old 07-25-2018, 06:22 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times
Quote:

You can do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgL3puDfuRg

But until then you can do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpSdePGgVyQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas