Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 08:03 AM

19,804 posts, read 18,099,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It feels great outside again this morning too! I was watering my plants and got my legs wet and thought "Brrr!" I LOVE IT.

It will be hotter than Hades again this afternoon but here it shouldn't get over 93 - considering last week, I'd say we're catching a cold spell! Humidity is higher though, but still not as high as it often is, so that's good. Maybe the worst is over.

It's been so hot this summer that my husband, a native Texan who loves this state, is actually talking about moving to some place like the Appalachian foothills of NC, TN or GA when he retires. Like others have said, it's not just the heat, and it's not just the humidity (I know the southeastern states have both), it's also the sheer length of summer.

I love Halloween but it's no fun to have to think about "But will I be too hot in this wig?" on OCTOBER 31. SHEEZE, by September I'm already sick to death of the heat, and by October, I want to cry.
With respect I think you've demonstrated part of the problem. People who become preoccupied with the heat often fall into this trap of thinking the weather is worse than it really is. I just looked it up. Over the last 20 years on Halloween the avg. high temp at DFW has been 73F with avg. lows around 57F. The hottest day happened to be two years ago at 87F. Last year the high was 61F.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
With respect I think you've demonstrated part of the problem. People who become preoccupied with the heat often fall into this trap of thinking the weather is worse than it really is. I just looked it up. Over the last 20 years on Halloween the avg. high temp at DFW has been 73F with avg. lows around 57F. The hottest day happened to be two years ago at 87F. Last year the high was 61F.
My point is that I have to WONDER about it because it's hot often enough to have to worry whether or not it will be hot.

No, it's not hot every year but it's hot often enough for it always to be something I have to consider.

Also, just to continue to grouse, I don't like Christmas to be in the 60s. And I want to wear a sweater on Thanksgiving, dadgummit. Last year if I recall correctly, Thanksgiving was pretty crisp, but then on Christmas morning, my husband and grandson were standing around on our patio wearing robes but barefoot. Dang it!

Old 08-02-2018, 08:40 AM

937 posts, read 744,342 times
Quote:
Also, just to continue to grouse, I don't like Christmas to be in the 60s. And I want to wear a sweater on Thanksgiving, dadgummit. Last year if I recall correctly, Thanksgiving was pretty crisp, but then on Christmas morning, my husband and grandson were standing around on our patio wearing robes but barefoot. Dang it!
We can only hope. The average Christmas Day temp here is mid 50's with a low in the upper 30's. I don't want to eat my figgy pudding in the 60's either, darn it!

Old 08-02-2018, 08:44 AM

6,697 posts, read 9,952,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
I've done the paradigm shift (aka DFW weather Stockholm Syndrome ) so I'm okay with an October in the 80's. At least its relief, and the mornings and evenings will be nice. Now if it's still pushing those temps when I'm serving up my Thanksgiving turkey, then BOOOO! That's not festive at all!!!
Summer will be over before your know it. (Trust me, I hate it too) We’ll be happy when fall weather starts and we have days when it’s chilly.

During the Fall and Winter months, you’ll start to hear people call the weather bipolar. Mainly, because the weather will literally change from day to day. Dallas being on a prairie, there’s nothing to stop cold fronts from sweeping in and dramatically changing the temps.

Here’s forecast videos of last year, so you’ll get a feel of what the weather can be like during the fall.

Late summer approaching fall (Sept. 20, 2017)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t9qT8X...ature=youtu.be

Early October forecast (Oct. 10, 2017)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=D6xicn7lUl0

Late October approaching Halloween (Oct. 27, 2017)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0LvZHs...ature=youtu.be

The Thanksgiving forecast (Nov. 22, 2017)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=48FNZOM0Bhw

Old 08-02-2018, 08:51 AM

937 posts, read 744,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Summer will be over before your know it. (Trust me, I hate it too) We’ll be happy when fall weather starts and we have days when it’s chilly.

During the Fall and Winter months, you’ll start to hear people call the weather bipolar. Mainly, because the weather will literally change from day to day. Dallas being on a prairie, there’s nothing to stop cold fronts from sweeping in and dramatically changing the temps.
All of this looks very promising to me I honestly think DFW gets a bad rap for weather when the truth is that while summer here is very extreme, the rest of the months are actually enjoyable. It's going to be nice to have the temps go up and down a bit from October-April getting cooler/colder some days and then some warmth versus being stuck with extremely cold winter weather for months on end like in many other places.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:04 AM

6,697 posts, read 9,952,165 times
Quote:
All of this looks very promising to me I honestly think DFW gets a bad rap for weather when the truth is that while summer here is very extreme, the rest of the months are actually enjoyable. It's going to be nice to have the temps go up and down a bit from October-April getting cooler/colder some days and then some warmth versus being stuck with extremely cold winter weather for months on end like in many other places.
Yeah, it just depends on the preference of the person. I know the most strange thing is to rake leaves with a t-shirt, shorts, and sneakers. Some people like it and some don’t. Unfortunately, the mosquitoes and other bugs will be out in full force. Last year, I got ate up by those freaking mosquitoes. So, I look forward to freezing weather so those damn things can die.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:27 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,409,031 times
Plus if there is no shade and bright direct sun and no breeze, 70F+ can still feel 'hot'. 50s-60s is the temp to be outside all day in the direct sun with no breeze and not be sweating.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:44 AM

19,804 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:
My point is that I have to WONDER about it because it's hot often enough to have to worry whether or not it will be hot.

No, it's not hot every year but it's hot often enough for it always to be something I have to consider.

It's hot, 85 or over, about one year in ten on Halloween.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:57 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,268,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Yeah, it just depends on the preference of the person. I know the most strange thing is to rake leaves with a t-shirt, shorts, and sneakers. Some people like it and some don’t. Unfortunately, the mosquitoes and other bugs will be out in full force. Last year, I got ate up by those freaking mosquitoes. So, I look forward to freezing weather so those damn things can die.
The strangest thing is my magnolia is still dropping leaves and it's 100 outside. lol who wants to rake leaves in the summer?

You get bugs about 10 months out of the year, I get bitten in November and February at my fire pit.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
We can only hope. The average Christmas Day temp here is mid 50's with a low in the upper 30's. I don't want to eat my figgy pudding in the 60's either, darn it!
LOL right on. Or wear Christmas popper hat thingies while we sweat around the dining room table!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas