Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 11:20 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,507 times

Advertisements

Can anyone explain the "Indian thing?"

This is odd for me to ask because I graduated from UTD and had quite a few Indian friends. About half were born there (Gujarati's, Mallus and Punjabi's mostly) and the other half were born here. 9 out of 10 went to high school here so I'd say fairly 'Americanized' in terms of interests.

People have hinted at a general discomfort but what specifically are the issues when there's a significant influx of South Asians? Not here to pass judgement but just genuinely curious.

Old 11-25-2019, 11:27 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post

This is odd for me to ask because I graduated from UTD and had quite a few Indian friends. About half were born there (Gujarati's, Mallus and Punjabi's mostly) and the other half were born here. 9 out of 10 went to high school here so I'd say fairly 'Americanized' in terms of interests.

People have hinted at a general discomfort but what specifically are the issues when there's a significant influx of South Asians? Not here to pass judgement but just genuinely curious.
I'll bite.

1.) Noisy parties with very fragrant food smells for certain festivals
2.) They do not care for their homes properly (obviously there are exceptions)
3.) They do not seem to want to integrate/assimilate
4.) Indians attract more Indians, and I don't want to live in a neighborhood that's 50%, 60%, 70% south Asian
5.) I consider them to be pushy, arrogant, and rude (by and large)
6.) I'm surrounded by them all day at work and I need a break when I'm at home

Old 11-25-2019, 01:54 PM

10 posts, read 12,442 times
What I've gathered from this thread..

Frisco- South Asians
East Richardson- Chinese
East Plano- Hispanics

What about other suburbs in DFW?

Old 11-25-2019, 02:26 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,171,571 times
Quote:

This is odd for me to ask because I graduated from UTD and had quite a few Indian friends. About half were born there (Gujarati's, Mallus and Punjabi's mostly) and the other half were born here.
UTD is commonly known as UT Desi in Collin County. “Desi” indicates high number of Indian students and prevalence of Indian culture.

2018-2019 statistics counts them as a majority there.

Asian-American (35%), Anglo (30%), Hispanic (18%), African-American (5%), International (4%), Two or More Races (4%), Unknown/Other (2%), Native American (0.1%), Native Hawaiian (0.2%)

Last edited by UnfairPark; 11-25-2019 at 02:34 PM..

Old 11-25-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyham View Post
What I've gathered from this thread..

Frisco- South Asians
East Richardson- Chinese
East Plano- Hispanics

What about other suburbs in DFW?
Irving and Coppell has a very high number of Indians.

Old 11-25-2019, 03:41 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,438,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Irving and Coppell has a very high number of Indians.
Oh yeah a lot more
Valley Ranch
Coppell
Castle Hills
Frisco
PLANO
Murphy
Sunnyvale
Flower Mound

Places like Allen and McKinney also have significant Indian populations just not to the extent of the ones above

Old 11-26-2019, 07:10 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,035 times
Quote:

It really just depends.

Our last home we bought was built new by an Indian couple. However, they never actually lived in the home, they lived in New York, but they bought the home because their parents, brothers, and extended family all had homes in the neighborhood. (So, they tend to congregate in a neighborhood and all live close to each other.)

My own experience, they like nice, new things, and they paid for significant upgrades to the home. All windows were triple pane fiberglass. They had a vent system installed in the kitchen hood to vent to outside (Indians cook with a lot of curry, and over years, that smell if allowed to permeate the home will NEVER come out.) So they were aware of that and took steps to ensure the kitchen was thoroughly vented. They paid extra to have radiant barrier AND thermal sheathing, which significantly reduces attic temps. As far as maintenance goes, a lot of them don't maintain their homes, but some do, so you just don't know. A strong HOA goes a long way to ensuring they keep up their home and yard.

As BigD said, they do not assimilate into a neighborhood or American culture. They live as they would in India.

In daily life they are generally fine to interact with, but I'll also second what BigD said... in a professional capacity, they tend to be very demanding and pushy. I have a couple Indian clients who are fairly small potatoes... but they act like they are multi million dollar business for me and are always demanding things. I do not enjoy dealing with them at all, and try to limit my interactions as much as possible.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:33 AM

15,525 posts, read 10,491,591 times
Quote:

When I lived in or near the heart of Dallas, I did not understand it either. My daughter has an Indian friend (born in London) and he is a lovely very Americanized person. Now that I moved out to the burbs I get it. They have no desire to even try to fit into our culture, plus they think they are better than everybody else. They are extremely rude, it's sad because our area has always been friendly.

Old 11-26-2019, 12:32 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Indians cook with a lot of curry, and over years, that smell if allowed to permeate the home will NEVER come out.
Tell me about it. I sold a house to an Indian guy a few years ago. He called me a week after he moved in and said he had sat aside some mail of mine that was still being delivered to my old address. When I walked into my poor, beloved house, not only had this guy moved like FIVE other adult Indian males in with him, but my poor, former home smelled like straight CURRY!!! If I had closed my eyes, I would have thought I was in streets of India instead of in my old home...and this was just after ONE WEEK!!!

I also want to second that while a lot of Indians LOVE to buy newer homes, many of them do NOT keep them up. Drove past my old house less than a year later, and this Indian guy had NOT done any upkeep; Five or six able-bodied Indian men living in a 3 and 2 and the lawn and flower bed had weeds so high it looked like a jungle, paint was chipping off the house, there was some wood decay that was not taken care of, and the mailbox was literally falling on the ground. Very sad.

Old 11-26-2019, 03:08 PM

Part of this thread is fair criticism and part pure racism but several complaints are just laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas