Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 03:30 PM

29 posts, read 33,815 times

Advertisements

Surprised at so many racist generalizations. For every rude, pushy Indian, there are equally rude, pushy people of other races/nationalities from all over the world! And for every "Lovely Americanized Person", there are a lot of "Unlovely Americanized" people as well. Anyone different from you does not automatically deserve derision for their food, culture or habits. And to people complaining about rudeness, I realized a while back that for a lot of non-native speakers, translation to English often makes the sentence seem rude/abrupt, as the nuances used in native language to show respect/courtesy cannot be literally translated to English. And as far as upkeep of homes, I am sure if you looked at percentage of unkempt homes by demographics, it would align closely to rest of the population.

Old 11-26-2019, 05:24 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,212,124 times
My husband is Indian and we have many friends in the DFW area who are. While I'm not negating that this does occur, I do find the implication that an entire group of people is as described. Our family friends who are Indian are some of the kindest and most generous people I've met and that includes those who are directly from India. The food they cook is delicious too. I'm hungry just thinking about it. As for the parties, go if you're invited because you will have a blast.

Old 11-26-2019, 05:32 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
My husband is Indian and we have many friends in the DFW area who are. While I'm not negating that this does occur, I do find the implication that an entire group of people is as described. Our family friends who are Indian are some of the kindest and most generous people I've met and that includes those who are directly from India. The food they cook is delicious too. I'm hungry just thinking about it. As for the parties, go if you're invited because you will have a blast.
I have had similar experiences with Indian people. They are some of the most kind, caring, and hospitable people I have ever encountered.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:43 PM

371 posts, read 553,678 times
I see Big D is back with her racist generalizations and drivel - all she needs is an opening to rehash her anti-Indian talking points. And that brings others out of the woodwork!

In terms of fragrant smells I wonder how I would classify the daily summer barbecues my Caucasian neighbor has with burnt charcoal and God knows what was grilled - or my lovely Asian (Chinese) neighbors with their variety of daily seafood smells wafting into my yard.

And upkeep of homes - way to generalize. Tell that to the two homes in our neighborhood (owned by Caucasians incidentally) that are eyesores with unkempt lawns and gutters, fences, and other items that are falling apart (with a gazillion HOA notices and even a lien on their homes)

Rudeness and pushiness - not unique to just Indians and can be found in all races

Not wanting to assimilate - so what about Little Italy, Koreatown, Chinatown. And it's perfectly to have neighborhoods that are 95% white with the token immigrant?

Are there Indians who fit these criteria - absolutely.

Is it fair to generalize and stereotype an entire race/ethnicity - absolutely NOT!

And I am Indian BTW - and don't fit any of these stereotypes (except cooking 'curry' (there is no such thing BTW) - I do have my house well aired out though!).

Thanks to those who chimed in supporting Indians!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas