Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:27 PM

521 posts, read 1,314,133 times

Advertisements

hmm seems like the CA transplants, at least some who have chimed in here, are happiest if they're conservative. I suppose that self-selection works itself out, even across state boundaries and time zones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 05:52 PM

58 posts, read 142,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a75206 View Post
hmm seems like the CA transplants, at least some who have chimed in here, are happiest if they're conservative. I suppose that self-selection works itself out, even across state boundaries and time zones.
That may be why a lot of conservative Californians are leaving. The liberals of this state (we still live here for now) have absolutely ruined a fine state. We are tired of our voices being stomped and mocked, by media and entertainment.

As a NRA member and proud gun owner, I will finally tell the CA nanny state to stick it up their collective arse. We are travelling to TX next week for a scouting trip and for my wife to interview at some schools. We are also looking houses and meeting with an agent to hopefully make an offer.

Honestly we can't wait to leave.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:12 PM

983 posts, read 4,442,537 times
Moved here from Southern CA and was there for 23 years. Only been in DFW for 1.5 years. I would say overall I like it and have been pretty content. I guess the worst for me are the bugs in the summer and the winters that are supposed to be mild and haven't been so far. So those would be minor issues in the big scheme of things.

I also made the move for home affordability but due to economy have had some setbacks but I am sticking it out. I know exactly what you mean about the issues with the state of CA. I worked for city of L.A. and considered going back for the income and stability. Well, my former coworkers are facing layoffs, furloughs and it's just a mess. The state agencies are no better.

I don't have kids but I would say it's a good move for families. I think your wife will find that the people here are more neighbor friendly, and she will connect with other moms. There is more a sense of community and she will find a bond in that way. For the most part the people are nice here from my experiences. In all my years in CA my neighbors never brought me dessert over for the holidays, invited me over for homemade soup on cold winter days, know me by name. Coming from CA it was kind of strange at first...like okay why is she being so nice hmmmmm.

Funny story...a friend that I wasn't too close to at the time called me out of the blue and said her mom cooked and I could come get a plate if I wanted. So I called her back and asked did she mean to leave me that message or was it a mistake. Her and her mom was cracking up. Needless to say we are closer now.

Overall on a scale of one to ten I give DFW an eight. Of course there are big differences and likes and dislikes. I miss the beaches and allergies are killing me right now. I wear contacts and I am about to rub my eyeballs out. So that's my little two cents.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:15 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Also, Texas school children pledge allegiance to the Texas flag immediately following the Pledge of Allegiance. Does anyone know if any other state have a state pledge that is said in every classroom?

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Heh. So do the Texas Freemasons, at a business meeting.

Last edited by Yac; 01-16-2014 at 08:16 AM..

Old 04-08-2010, 11:22 AM

105 posts, read 290,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBeach View Post
As our five year old said, "we traded our trampoline for a swimming pool."

-- Classic!!

All I know is I've never seen any other state display the state flag more than Texans. The Lone Star is regularly used as part of the home decor. Does any other state use their state symbol as home decor?

-- I noticed that too =)

We like it here and will stay until the good Lord moves us somewhere else.

-- Glad to hear that
Thanks for sharing!

Old 04-08-2010, 11:29 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Heh. So do the Texas Freemasons, at a business meeting.
Have they always? I know when I was a kid we didn't do the Texas pledge at school. That came up sometime when dd was in elementary school. I still have the hardest time with it, probably because I've only recited it a couple of times a year. It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Then they added the "under God" part and really screwed me up!

Old 04-08-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
I grew up in California so I can tell you that you learn CA State history in one of your grades of elementary school (like 4th or 5th), but that's it.

-- Ahh okay, I only attended majority of high school in CA, makes sense. I think I remember taking TX state history AT LEAST 2 times though between 1st - 8th grade in TX.

When I say that, what I mean is that although I am here and could be here to stay, when people learn I moved from CA in November they put on a sell job for the metro as if I was simply considering moving here and not already here. I even get that from people at work who have seen me day in and day out since November.

-- That's actually sort of funny. It may be one of those things where they want you to really feel like you made the right decision, not really for their own benefit of selling, but just to make you feel more comfortable. And they just don't realize that it actually does the opposite haha.

Maybe people are trying to brainwash me before the ridiculous heat and humidity comes through, I dunno.

-- Very possible...it does get pretty hot. The humidity isn't that bad though relative to other places.

P.S. As to the State Fair, there is a huge CA State Fair in Sacramento. Also county fairs during the summer too which are big. In the Bay Area at least (public school), we'd have field trips to Yosemite, Columbia State Historic Park (an old style gold mining town in the Sierra foothills), etc, etc. And I had the pledge of allegiance in my elementary schools in CA. You must have not lucked out whenever you went to school in CA.

-- Sorry, that's part of my ignorance. I think I missed a lot of those opportunities since I didn't attend elementary or junior high in CA, and there are probably a lot of states that stop saying the Pledge of Allegience in high school, so not a fair comparison by me. But I will say, though I've lived in the Bay Area for about 18 years now, I am being completely honest that I've never actually heard of the CA State Fair in Sacramento, or of anyone even going to it. The State Fair of Texas is a HUGE HUGE HUGE deal in DFW... meaning the ISDs literally gave us days off from school to go there, as if it were a holiday. I'm talking about almost mandatory visits to it LoL. But I'm not complaining, I loved it. You can't beat the enormous Turkey Legs you get there!!
Thanks for sharing!

Old 04-08-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
Moved here from Southern CA and was there for 23 years. Only been in DFW for 1.5 years. I would say overall I like it and have been pretty content. I guess the worst for me are the bugs in the summer and the winters that are supposed to be mild and haven't been so far. So those would be minor issues in the big scheme of things.

-- The lack of bugs in CA (at least in the Bay Area) is one thing I will sorely miss.

I also made the move for home affordability but due to economy have had some setbacks but I am sticking it out. I know exactly what you mean about the issues with the state of CA. I worked for city of L.A. and considered going back for the income and stability. Well, my former coworkers are facing layoffs, furloughs and it's just a mess. The state agencies are no better.

-- There are just too many negative things going on here with the economy, goverment, and politics that are dragging such a beautiful state down.

I don't have kids but I would say it's a good move for families. I think your wife will find that the people here are more neighbor friendly, and she will connect with other moms. There is more a sense of community and she will find a bond in that way. For the most part the people are nice here from my experiences.

-- I really hope this is true. Making friends, and making them quickly, is one way to ease the shock of moving to a new place.

In all my years in CA my neighbors never brought me dessert over for the holidays, invited me over for homemade soup on cold winter days, know me by name. Coming from CA it was kind of strange at first...like okay why is she being so nice hmmmmm.

-- This is one thing that I don't understand when people complain about people from TX being mean (in other threads). Are they saying they're nice every where else? I mean, people in CA are nice, but that's only if you get the chance to actually meet them. I'm the type of person that if I pass a complete stranger on the street or in a hallway, I actually try to make eye contact and say hello. No one really does that in CA though, and I'm not sure how it is in TX these days. We've moved several times to different parts of the Bay Area, and not once for any of the moves had a neighbor come by to introduce themselves. I always had to be the one to go up and introduce myself and try to befriend them. And even after that, I can honestly say that in each of our neighborhoods, we didnt' really know any of our neighbors. Because of these experiences, I don't think it's really fair to say that people in TX are more mean or rude than people from other states because honestly you can get that same type of treatment anywhere you go. And yes, I'd be completely surprised as well if a neighbor tried to bring me dessert.

Overall on a scale of one to ten I give DFW an eight. Of course there are big differences and likes and dislikes. I miss the beaches and allergies are killing me right now. I wear contacts and I am about to rub my eyeballs out. So that's my little two cents.

-- My allergies were horrendous in DFW. Now that I've found "NasalCrom" (Try it, it really works!), hopefully that will no longer be the case if we move there. And 8 out of 10 is really high IMO, so I'm glad you're enjoying it!
Thanks for sharing!

Old 04-08-2010, 01:46 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,313,003 times
You can see all those things you miss in California in Texas.
Hills and Mountains in Austin and West texas, beaches in Corpus, South padre, Galveston, Wine vinyards- johnson City & fredricksburg. Natural parks and lakes in east texas, swamps and alligators in beaumont-houston area. NASA.....I mean you can do everything you want to do, you just might have to travel to do it.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:33 PM

871 posts, read 2,690,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texafornian View Post
I grew up in California so I can tell you that you learn CA State history in one of your grades of elementary school (like 4th or 5th), but that's it.

-- Ahh okay, I only attended majority of high school in CA, makes sense. I think I remember taking TX state history AT LEAST 2 times though between 1st - 8th grade in TX.

When I say that, what I mean is that although I am here and could be here to stay, when people learn I moved from CA in November they put on a sell job for the metro as if I was simply considering moving here and not already here. I even get that from people at work who have seen me day in and day out since November.

-- That's actually sort of funny. It may be one of those things where they want you to really feel like you made the right decision, not really for their own benefit of selling, but just to make you feel more comfortable. And they just don't realize that it actually does the opposite haha.

Maybe people are trying to brainwash me before the ridiculous heat and humidity comes through, I dunno.

-- Very possible...it does get pretty hot. The humidity isn't that bad though relative to other places.

P.S. As to the State Fair, there is a huge CA State Fair in Sacramento. Also county fairs during the summer too which are big. In the Bay Area at least (public school), we'd have field trips to Yosemite, Columbia State Historic Park (an old style gold mining town in the Sierra foothills), etc, etc. And I had the pledge of allegiance in my elementary schools in CA. You must have not lucked out whenever you went to school in CA.

-- Sorry, that's part of my ignorance. I think I missed a lot of those opportunities since I didn't attend elementary or junior high in CA, and there are probably a lot of states that stop saying the Pledge of Allegience in high school, so not a fair comparison by me. But I will say, though I've lived in the Bay Area for about 18 years now, I am being completely honest that I've never actually heard of the CA State Fair in Sacramento, or of anyone even going to it. The State Fair of Texas is a HUGE HUGE HUGE deal in DFW... meaning the ISDs literally gave us days off from school to go there, as if it were a holiday. I'm talking about almost mandatory visits to it LoL. But I'm not complaining, I loved it. You can't beat the enormous Turkey Legs you get there!!

Thanks for sharing!
The State Fair isn't a fair comparison. After all, the TX State Fair is actually IN DFW metro. The CA State Fair is in Sacramento so of course Bay Area people don't generally go to it. Somehow I doubt the TX State Fair would be as big a deal to DFW'ers if it was in Austin, you certainly wouldn't get days off to attend something in Austin. I think you said you live in Walnut Creek, CA. I'd be surprised if in your 18 years in the Bay Area you never heard of anyone going to the Contra Costa County Fair in Antioch or Alameda County Fair in Pleasanton. That's a more fair comparison IMHO.

As to the field trips and stuff, you are right in HS in CA you don't do many field trips. I remember many field trips in elementary school and junior high, but then it stops (or slows down to a crawl to be more accurate) in high school.

----

I'd be curious to see if COL wasn't an issue, would someone born and raised in CA prefer to live in DFW or their home area in CA?

And likewise, assuming COL isn't an issue, would someone born and raised in TX (DFW) prefer to live in CA or their home area in TX?

So far correct me if I am wrong, but the CA transplants to TX like me want to go back if COL isn't an issue, and the TX transplants to CA likewise miss home and want to go back to TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas