Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 09:48 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
For just plain old donuts, Mustang Donuts if my favorite(right by SMU).

But for anyone that hasn't tried Hypnotic Donuts...YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO. They make the craziest donuts that are delicious. Also their chicken sandwiches are to die for. CHECK them out.

Hypnotic Donuts/Donuts and Biscuits/ Dallas and Denton TX
A friend of mine here recommended them to me, saying they were somewhat analogous to Voodoo Donuts in Portland, OR (which, if anyone ever goes there, you HAVE to stop there).

I will make it to Hypnotic at some point, but count me as also amused by the number of "Donuts" stores around. There's a Dunkin' at the SE corner of Davis and Southlake, and just a little further south on Davis there's a "Donuts".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 07:00 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,461,007 times
It really is worth the trip. Also if it is going to be a one time thing, order one or two of their crazy donuts and also one of the Chicken breakfast sandwiches. You're not going to finish it all(I usually only eat half the sandwich), but you'll get to try so many delicious items.

I mean look at this thing:
http://www.topthisplace.com/images/e...en_biscuit.jpg

Old 06-04-2014, 07:58 AM

117 posts, read 193,583 times
Quote:
It really is worth the trip. Also if it is going to be a one time thing, order one or two of their crazy donuts and also one of the Chicken breakfast sandwiches. You're not going to finish it all(I usually only eat half the sandwich), but you'll get to try so many delicious items.

I mean look at this thing:
http://www.topthisplace.com/images/e...en_biscuit.jpg
I second this! We went there a few weeks ago before a trip the Arboretum and gorged ourselves on donuts and a chicken sandwich, awesome for sure.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:41 AM

237 posts, read 499,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
They're around. I much prefer Krispy Kreme. I think Dunkin Donuts has gone downhill the last few years.
No kidding, once they stopped making their own donuts and began shipping them to stores instead, the quality dropped fast.
Who ever heard of a donut shop that doesnt make their own donuts?

Old 06-04-2014, 03:28 PM

290 posts, read 387,805 times
Quote:
It's worth it. Get there a little early because the good stuff sometimes goes quick and the line can get a little long. Also consider yourself lucky if you find an open seat inside. You might be eating in the car.
I mentioned to a few people in the office yesterday, and told them to check out their website/passed on your reviews here in the forum ...... today I came in and they have all decided to make a carpool trip there so we can try them lol

Old 06-04-2014, 03:48 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,612,395 times
I wonder how many "Donut Palace" shops there are in the DFW area. And if they are affiliated. The recent trend is to drop the S, I've noticed. Now, the signs just say "DONUT".

Old 06-05-2014, 08:43 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,461,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara0914 View Post
I mentioned to a few people in the office yesterday, and told them to check out their website/passed on your reviews here in the forum ...... today I came in and they have all decided to make a carpool trip there so we can try them lol
Awesome! You all shouldn't be disappointed!

Old 06-05-2014, 09:10 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,555,635 times
jarams1

Had them for a work event today. Very good.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:14 AM

178 posts, read 398,843 times
Most of the generic donut shops throughout town are owned and operated by immigrant Korean families (most as in more than 50%, I'd go as far as to say 80-85%). By my experience, they are universally nice, welcoming and consistent with their product. Along with gas stations and import businesses, they are popular with Korean immigrants because they are relatively easy to operate, have family/church friendly hours and are easy to resell. Korean immigrants tend to have more startup capital than other groups because of past careers in South Korea or family helping, so the hurdle of scraping enough money to buy or start a shop isn't as high.

It isn't much of a secret as to why Korean-owned donut shops are so prevalent here, they're basically filling a need that chains have not met. Dunkin is almost exclusively in N. Dallas currently, they used to have many more locations in the mid-cities and Tarrant County that closed down in the early 90s. Krispy Kreme used to have several times more locations until they filed for bankruptcy after the subprime crisis - they only have two locations in all of Tarrant County, IIRC. The self-serve, drive-thru business model was a failure, KK is now relying a lot more on reselling its products in grocery stores and other businesses.

I remember reports last year that Troy Aikman signed on with Dunkin Donuts as a new franchisee in the DFW area and they plan on rolling out several dozen new stores in the coming years. We'll see what happens.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:15 AM

390 posts, read 715,025 times
Hypnotic Donuts even has a 5k Donut Dash
Hypnotic Donut Dash - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas