Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2010, 10:47 PM

5 posts, read 12,480 times

Advertisements

It's due to the Texas distribution center and the higher truck speed limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 10:50 AM

871 posts, read 2,689,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berol View Post
If they ever had a 500-mile rule, they don't anymore. It's dependent on how far they have to drive on California's roads due to the 55mph speed limit there. Going up I-5, I don't know if they can even make 600 miles. It's 560 to their Redding store. They're about to break the 700 mile barrier in Utah, but that's as far as they say they can expand in that direction. It'll be 750+ miles from Texas, but it could take a few years to go beyond 50 miles. The slower they expand in Texas, the better word-of-mouth will be. I expect they'll be well into New Mexico, quite aways up the Mississippi and along the gulf after 20 or 30 years.
My understanding is that it was not a mile rule, but rather a "one day's drive" rule. Every store had to be within a day's drive for a truck from the distro center in Baldwin Park, CA. I expect the same rule to apply for a Dallas distro center.

And PS, freeways in california (most of them now) are not 55mph, but rather 65mph and in the open country, 70mph (that's the CA max). But yeah back when it was 55mph, In N Out wasn't even in the Bay Area.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:54 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,530,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
My understanding is that it was not a mile rule, but rather a "one day's drive" rule. Every store had to be within a day's drive for a truck from the distro center in Baldwin Park, CA. I expect the same rule to apply for a Dallas distro center.

And PS, freeways in california (most of them now) are not 55mph, but rather 65mph and in the open country, 70mph (that's the CA max). But yeah back when it was 55mph, In N Out wasn't even in the Bay Area.

You are very correct pappy!

Old 10-18-2010, 02:14 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,224,151 times
Truck/towing speed on many highways in CA is 55mph.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:23 PM

871 posts, read 2,689,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
Truck/towing speed on many highways in CA is 55mph.
Forgot about that, but I'd be surprised if the truck speed for I-5 through central valley is 55mph. Through any mountains (like the grapevine), yeah, but I don't think it is the case for those flat portions of I-5 in the middle of nowhere CA.

But I do wonder if In N Out really gets stuff out from Baldwin Park to Redding in one day. Maybe one day as in 24 hours, but 12 hours might not cut it.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:45 PM

It's even 55 for trucks on desert interstates. I tow a fifth wheel around its interstates occasionally and have to adhere, tho I sneak my way to 62mph sometimes. I love crossing that Colorado River.

Truck drivers have to stop for 10 hours after driving 14 hours, plus something about taking short breaks during the 14 hours. I bet LA drivers only go as far up I-5 as their Lathrop/Stockton warehouse. Then they divide the meat onto local delivery trucks for norcal. I hadn't thought about that before. This may blow a theory of mine.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:48 PM

Back on topic, restaurants are supposed to open next year at these locations, maybe an eighth. http://bit.ly/dtMggX

Old 12-17-2010, 07:01 PM

554 posts, read 1,196,494 times
I heard that IN-N-OUT had plans for a Frisco location about 2 months ago. I went to the city's website to browse through building permits and learned that the location was at Preston/Stonecrest Rd (basically Preston/121 as Stonecrest Rd is a minor side street) between the Olive Garden and Great Wall Super Buffet. However, the city was pretty hush hush and would neither confirm nor deny that the deal was a go.

I drove by a few days ago and saw that the ground on that lot was broken and construction equipment was all around.

I am happy to report that I drove by today and sure enough, there is now a sign that reads, "IN-N-OUT Burger Coming Soon"!!! I think it might have said something about "HIRING" as well but I was driving and didn't have time to see the other details.

Has anyone else noticed as much activity at some of the other proposed locations around the metro?

Last edited by TowerGuy; 12-17-2010 at 07:50 PM..

Old 12-18-2010, 02:15 PM

554 posts, read 1,196,494 times
Photos of the Frisco location taken from my phone this morning:
In-N-Out burger?-n-out-here-soon.jpg
In-N-Out burger?-n-out-construction.jpg

Sorry about the size but as you can see it is under construction.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:38 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,539,997 times
My friend just saw a sign go up at the old Steak N Shake off of 75 and Caruth Haven for In-N-Out!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas