Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 06:08 PM

41 posts, read 62,683 times

Advertisements

Was in Dayton to intern brother-in -law, 07/09/12, my my how the inter city has changed since I escaped in 1957. Salem AVE. has almost left the city. Some good, some bad. Do not look forward to return. J.Price

Old 08-02-2012, 07:24 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,754,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. PRICE View Post
Was in Dayton to intern brother-in -law, 07/09/12, my my how the inter city has changed since I escaped in 1957. Salem AVE. has almost left the city. Some good, some bad. Do not look forward to return. J.Price
Yours or that of Salem Avenue?

Old 08-03-2012, 05:35 AM

4,485 posts, read 6,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Yours or that of Salem Avenue?
Salem Ave's business districts have gone vacant in sections.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:34 AM

41 posts, read 62,683 times
Unhappy Salem Ave.

You are not kidding Salem Ave. went down in sections, the business has gone, NOW THE RESIDENT SECTION IS IN SHAMBLES.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:50 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,218,274 times
OK what in the world was the point of this thread just to talk negative about dayton. i live in ciny but i feel like dayton is just an extended part of cincy so i am always sticking up for both cities.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:01 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,851,361 times
Hi all--

I think J.PRICE is talking about the Salem Mall and surrounding area which was pretty well evacuated long before I ever moved here. If you want to hear why, just look at the Dayton Daily News or some other local news outlet every time RTA tries to expand into Beavercreek - just look at the comments section.

All of the money (and business) has moved to Beavercreek - or Washington Township.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:17 AM

4,485 posts, read 6,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
OK what in the world was the point of this thread just to talk negative about dayton. i live in ciny but i feel like dayton is just an extended part of cincy so i am always sticking up for both cities.
Have you been to Dayton, or know much about Dayton proper? It's in really bad shape and talking about the current state of things is hardly being negative.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:57 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,538,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi all--

I think J.PRICE is talking about the Salem Mall and surrounding area which was pretty well evacuated long before I ever moved here. If you want to hear why, just look at the Dayton Daily News or some other local news outlet every time RTA tries to expand into Beavercreek - just look at the comments section.

All of the money (and business) has moved to Beavercreek - or Washington Township.
Excellent point, Hensleya1! How come the 30-something Liberal in me says we need public transport for everyone to go everywhere. And the 50-ish homeowner in me who lives in a nice neighborhood and knows that not everyone who rides in on public transportation will be well-behaved...

Old 09-14-2012, 12:19 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,851,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Excellent point, Hensleya1! How come the 30-something Liberal in me says we need public transport for everyone to go everywhere. And the 50-ish homeowner in me who lives in a nice neighborhood and knows that not everyone who rides in on public transportation will be well-behaved...
Hi Crew Chief--

Just to humor the audience, I dug up some of the posts. Courtesy of esrati who saved some of them.

Quote:
Salem Mall closed because no whites would go there. An F-16 pilot did and got cold ****** in the eye, now he can’t fly, after $1M to teach him how. bring money, don’t take the money from us lawabiders!

What “killed” the Salem mall was declining patronage. This was caused by an infusion of youth related crime, and the perception of lawlessness. As a result, people left. With the Dayton Mall, Bus stops in front of the mall entrances created a bundling of young people, who, like at the SM, acted in a discourteous and disruptive manner. When the bus stops were removed from in front of the mall to where they are now, distributed evenly throughout the Mall area, the rowdy gps. were removed

Years ago my wife & I went to the Salem Mall. We were greeted by a very nice security guard who in the nicest way possible told us to leave as it wasn’t safe for two nice white folks to be in the mall. When questioned why, he said the black gangs were beating on people, especially whites. BUSING was the demise of the Salem Mall. Same started to happen to the Dayton Mall till they moved the stops. RTA offers project mobility for those who can’t make the walk from the stop. Leave it where it is!

Thats the problem w the Dayton Mallall the bus stops that bring in crime. Sorry, just open your eyes its a fact not an opinion. Of these 18 churches I wonder how many have a 50/50 mix of attenders? Most who ride the bus to the DM are not for the sake of a JOB. Its to shop or in some cases to steal or just plain cause trouble. Just listen to all the language of some around the bus stop, its F this and F that. Go help the economy and buy a car, pay for your own gas, then if its important u will go

We do not want to see what happened to the Salem Mall happen to the Fairfield and Dayton Malls. Busing in all sorts of people destroyed the security people felt at the Salem Mall.
Just a few of the more coherent ones I was able to assemble, but, well.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:56 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,754,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi all--

Possibly. Lower Salem, from the river to maybe a mile and a half north used to have some well known businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton