Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 10:24 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Yes, our well could run dry. There are reports of it all over but I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping everyone is conserving like they should be. It has to end sometime, i just hope it's in my lifetime.

Then there's next year.....and it starts all over again.
On Monday we went to level 2 watering restrictions. I can water on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 1 a.m. to 10 a.m. and from 6:00 p.m. until midnight. The wildfire just west of here is eating up thousands of acres and many homes. Everything is a tinderbox in Texas.

The shrubs are dying now and the trees are screaming for water.

I know how Camper1 feels. I feel guilty for complaining about 100° days for 3 months and no rain for the same period of time. There are so many folks trying to get their lives back on track after Irene, fires and tornados. This has been one heck of a year for bad weather.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:01 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,996,362 times
I can't remember the last time we were NOT in stage two. Here stage two limits us to once a week with the odd hours. Stage three has hovered a few times and we staring at it again now.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:18 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times
I didn't realize it was so bad. I just thought it had been a little longer than usual without rain. You know in parts of Australia where there is a water shortage, they use these rain storage tanks....but geeze....you aren't getting any rain in the first place to even fill something like that.

And sure....there are people who are going through a variety of calamities, but yours is feeling endless.

I guess I'll quit complaining about our daily rain.

Oh gosh, just realized it was time to start getting ready for work. Some weeks are good, but this one sure has been slow and ANNOYING. I'm tempted to call in sick, but probably half of the other people will and then I'll feel guilty. I have used all my vacation days....quite FRIVOLOUSLY....I may add.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:01 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,652,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
The crocheting I do is along the lines of blankets and afghans and baby stuff. I have not done that for a while but I do have quite a stock of yarn waiting for a hook.
This is true for me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Yes, our well could run dry. There are reports of it all over but I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping everyone is conserving like they should be. It has to end sometime, i just hope it's in my lifetime.

Then there's next year.....and it starts all over again.
My fingers are crossed for you too. We had a drought here that lasted over 3 years, and it was rough. Course, this year, we're heading to the opposite side of the scale. Luckily, I love the rain. and it's been good for our lawns, etc.

It's hard to watch all the flooding up North. Glad to say that my Mom & Sister live in the mountains, so less worries of flooding there. They lost their electricity for a whole day,though.
Yes, the Berkshire mntns are beautiful and I miss them! don't miss the snow & the cold, though.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:36 PM

I don't know Starr, our droughts are more like the water tables are low but nothing is really dying. We go though times when it is raining less than usual and our lakes are down. But what I read today online about the condition of Texas is scary. To actually have wildlife dying due to a lack of water is really sad. I mean, I know it is more of a deser type terrain, but for some reason, I never think of parts of America actually going dry.

That's it Texas girls, you'll have to come to Florida and live here with Starr and I!

Old 09-01-2011, 11:18 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I don't know Starr, our droughts are more like the water tables are low but nothing is really dying. We go though times when it is raining less than usual and our lakes are down. But what I read today online about the condition of Texas is scary. To actually have wildlife dying due to a lack of water is really sad. I mean, I know it is more of a deser type terrain, but for some reason, I never think of parts of America actually going dry.

That's it Texas girls, you'll have to come to Florida and live here with Starr and I!
As the little girl said to Bette Midler in "Beaches".....
"Can I bring my cat(s)?"

Old 09-02-2011, 05:11 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
My area has had 10 minutes of rain since January.

And, out of the past 30 days, Houston has had 27 days where the temperature hit triple-digits. This past week my outdoor thermometer registered 107 two days in a row. Weather records are being broken every day.

I have a 1,200 sq ft paver patio that looks like it's gone through an 8.0 earthquake. All the ground underneath the entire patio has opened up due to the drought and heat. Some pavers have moved away from each other (some are 4-5 inches apart) and other pavers are on top of each other. If this drought ever ends (and it's predicted to last through next year), I'm going to have to have the entire patio dug up and re-laid.

And, to make things worse, all the weather predictions have been for 50% chance of rain the coming 4-5 days due to a depression in the Gulf. Now the depression is headed for Louisiana instead and we're left high and DRY once again.

My only good news is that my foundation hasnt cracked...yet. My mother was a realtor and always warned me to water my foundation in dry weather because of the type of soil here in Houston. However, I cant water most of the foundation because the darned patio covers 3/4 of it (all along the back and sides of the house). Many of my neighbors' houses have frighteningly large cracks down the brick-lines that werent there last year. I'd hate to think of what their walls look like on the inside. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my luck holds out in that regard.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:01 AM

Well....I guess the only thing we could all do is get us some feathers and moccasins and learn how to do an American Indian rain dance. (I really love the colors of these particular feathers!)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/ZootHouse/Vacation2007018.jpg (broken link)

Does the government help by declaring a state of emergency or something to help the expenses of serious drought repairs? See, I think this long term thing is much worse than a passing hurricane. They come and go....but months of no rain is just an ongoing disaster with no end in site.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:43 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,996,362 times
Morning peeps!!

Old 09-02-2011, 08:15 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
I think the government has bigger fish to fry, Glory. I feel bad for the farmers and ranchers here -- I hope the feds are helping them.

I love the colors of those feathers. My next-door neighbor is part Indian and is traveling to Oklahoma this weekend for the Choctaw Nation Labor Day Festival. They go every few years and werent going to attend this year but decided to go and dance for rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff