Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 09:44 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,420,754 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much, Ketabcha and Flamingo. I wish I could say more but am not up to talking about it right now. I'm trying to distract myself by learning to use a new computer browser.

When I got my first computer in 1996, I used Opera as my browser. For some reason (cant remember why) I switched to Firefox in 2000. I've both praised and cursed Firefox all these years. It can be buggy but I stayed with it mainly because I was used to it and also because I like certain features. But the other night a bug popped up for no reason and I spent hours trying to fix it. Couldnt do it so I switched to Opera. After all these years it's changed a lot, but I think that, once I get used to it, I'm going to like it even better than Firefox.

When I switched, though, a problem popped up -- I couldnt open links from emails. It took me almost 6 hours to figure out a fix -- and the fix was one that I never thought I (who am terminally ignorant about computers) could do. But what a sense of satisfaction to fix it myself and not have to call a computer guy.

What browser do youall use?

Old 02-21-2018, 04:38 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
I use IE (Internet Explorer). I'm pretty sure that is my browser. I mean have it and I guess it's my browser. It's the only one I have ever had. Duh. I'm not too swift with computers. I thought I was "Uptown Saturday Night" when I got a portable typewriter to take to college. ROFL

Old 02-21-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I use IE (Internet Explorer). I'm pretty sure that is my browser. I mean have it and I guess it's my browser. It's the only one I have ever had. Duh. I'm not too swift with computers. I thought I was "Uptown Saturday Night" when I got a portable typewriter to take to college. ROFL

Yes, if that's the only browser on your computer, that's the one you have.

I'm very ignorant about computers, but I've muddled through so many issues and changes that I've had to learn a little. I guess I'm getting Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder in my old age -- because. once I run into a problem, even a very small one about which most people might not even care, I cant leave it until I fix it. I've sat up all night a few times, figuring out how to fix something on this desktop computer.

My daughters tease me all the time about not having a cell phone. Well, I do have one but it's turned off all the time. It just makes calls -- no photos, no texting, no nothing else. It's for emergencies only, like calling Comcast when my internet, cable and house phone go out all at once -- and in case I have car trouble on the road. My outgoing message still refers to Hurricane Ike (back in 2008). But nobody ever calls me on it so there's no sense in updating the message.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:53 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
I use FF - I did use Opera yrs. ago (and don't actually recall why I stopped) - I don't like the latest versions of FF though, having an issue w/add ons, etc. (I was golden a couple versions ago - I had it set up to ask me about certain things, I had I.E. Lite that I could use for certain reward programs, etc.) - I can't really figure out anymore how to not only block ads, etc. but limit places that use cookies.......... I now have to use I.E. for one grocery store to get my coupons, other sites just don't work - ACK.

As to phone, I have a Tracfone, LOL - same here, it's for when I travel, emergencies, etc. I could text but I don't know how - the only calls I get on it are endless telemarketers (which I don't answer of course). I'm pretty convinced that Tracfone sells the number and it ticks me off that I get calls on it. Tracfone also sends texts (which REALLY annoys me) trying to sell more crap and using up my minutes.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:41 PM

Flamingo, I'm starting to get used to Opera and liking it a lot. It was very different back in 1996-2000, very plain vanilla and now it's very neapolitan vanilla/chocolate/strawberry.

I probably wouldnt have switched (at least not now) if Firefox hadnt, all of a sudden, stopped letting me access my bookmarks. I googled the error message I kept getting and saw that many others have had the same problem over the past few years. Thank goodness I had saved all my bookmarks a week or so ago (as an html file -- but dont ask me what that is) so I was able to transfer them to Opera.

I dont know how texting works. Does every text take away from the total minutes you're allowed each month? I have a Consumer Cellular program where I pay $15/month for 250 minutes. I could pay $20/month for unlimited minutes, but I've probably used 45 minutes total in the past 10 years.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:43 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
I have a flip top phone. ahahahahaha. No lie. It's a tiny little thing and drives my family and friends crazy. They want me to have all the bells and whistles like they do. I also still have a landline. I rarely use it but it is there if I need it.....like when I can't find my tiny flip top....I just call it on my landline and follow the ring.

I'm just not a gadget person. I spend my money on books and DVDs. Life is good.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:19 PM

TFW - I hope you're okay w/all the flooding in TX - stay safe!

Old 02-22-2018, 05:30 PM

Thanks, Flamingo. Very little rain and no flooding at all in my area. I havent been following the news the past couple of days so I wasnt even aware that there was flooding down here.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:43 AM

Glad it's not your area - initially, the news reports here were just saying Texas (not specifically where)

Old 02-24-2018, 01:43 PM

I just read that the Central US area is supposed to get a lot of rain tonight and tomorrow. Ketabcha's area is predicted to get lot more rain than my area.

So, Ketabcha, please check on with up tomorrow and let us know that you're ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff