Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2018, 05:09 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times

Advertisements

Flamingo, I'm sorry you were disappointed about the freebies. And I know Bob would be too. It takes a lot of time and work to post those freebies and Bob did it for a long time, even when he was feeling really bad.

I once posted the reason that I think some freebies dont arrive: because the marketing groups that are in charge of sending the freebies are targeting certain zip codes. My zip code is filled with a lot of starter-homes and lower-income apartments, so I know not to expect a lot of response to my requests. I never let it bother me, though. And, of course, the freebies from Target and Walmart ALWAYS arrive.

I hope your roofing guys will cut the tree limb. I doubt any in my area would do that, both for safety and liability reasons. If I were in your situation, I'd call a yard maintenance company. They're usually cheaper than tree removal companies but they'll often do tree limb removal if it's not too dangerous. Just make sure that whoever you hire has adequate insurance coverage.

I did read that another storm is on its way up there -- but it's not supposed to be anywhere near as bad as last week's storm.

Life is full of ups and downs. We may not be able to control the downs but we CAN control how we react to them. I have a lot of negatives going on in my life too but I still go to bed every night and find 3 things for which to be thankful for that day. It really does make me feel more content and upbeat. Some days it's very hard to find 3 things, even little ones, but those are the times that I need to find them the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I do as well, but I don't come across any (I honestly don't think there are that many out there anymore, sadly - I honestly don't know how to weed out the legitimate sites from the ones that are fake (remember those bath things? went on for yrs., never sent...) and are just looking for email addresses. I seldom (if every) got any of the tea bags either (and I'm a tea drinker). Magazines were the only ones I found to come through (other than a teeny sample of a skin care or something).

Since this is the chat thread as well - I have a roofing company that is going to try to come out on Friday (they are dealing w/the more serious emergencies first) - I tried a couple handyman type places but they either don't do roofs at all, rule out mine because it's so steep (Cape Cod), don't have shingles to replace, etc. - just hoping that the roofing company will be willing to whack off that portion of the tree that's overhanging and I don't also have to have a tree company. I don't know for sure (but hoping) that the news story was correct that since this storm is considered catastrophic it won't raise your rates. I was scared to even call my ins. co. to ask but I did today - she hedged about rates but said let her know how it goes Fri. and see how much - depending on how much over (hope not) deductible, if I also need a tree company, time, etc. - to let her know.

We were in a drought for quite a long time but now, of course, they are calling for crap weather the next couple days as well as next week.......... Always something

I too hope we will all continue to catch up with each other!

Old 03-11-2018, 03:02 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times
I'm here!!! I swear, between my arm and having a puppy life is like herding cats here lately. Laughs all the time but some frustration throw in to spice things up.

I use to help GloryB from time to time with the postings and know how hard and frustrating it can be. My hats off to anyone that helps.

I agree this site has been so much fun and I also have met some fantastic people here. I just don't order anymore becasue I try to keep the clutter down. Every now and then I run across something that I got here and still use.

I think about you guys all the time!!!!!

Old 03-11-2018, 05:20 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Nice to hear from you - hoping your arm is healing well. (I do miss GloryB - I assume she's gone?)

As to news here - a roofing company guy is supposed to come by Tue. a.m. - keeping fingers crossed as I'm worried about the missing shingles and can't tell if there is damage under as it's such a steep pitch roof.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:23 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
It's the Ides of March. "Et tu, Brute?" and all that jazz.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
It's the Ides of March. "Et tu, Brute?" and all that jazz.

Yes, and how ironic (or maybe appropriate) that Stephen Hawking died on Pi Day: March 14 aka 3.14

Old 03-15-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
...As to news here - a roofing company guy is supposed to come by Tue. a.m. - keeping fingers crossed as I'm worried about the missing shingles and can't tell if there is damage under as it's such a steep pitch roof.

Flamingo, what happened with your roofing guy? Hoping the damage, if any, was minor. Also hoping he was able to deal with the tree branches.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:51 PM

Thanks for asking - the estimator came by Tue. a.m. and said they would probably be able to repair this week. The next day @ 11:30 two guys showed up and took care of it (they also picked up the little pile I had on the deck of the pieces I'd found) - they trimmed that tree back and replaced the damaged shingles! I'm a happy camper, LOL (camper reference). It was only $25 over my deductible so I'm not going to file a claim.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks for asking - the estimator came by Tue. a.m. and said they would probably be able to repair this week. The next day @ 11:30 two guys showed up and took care of it (they also picked up the little pile I had on the deck of the pieces I'd found) - they trimmed that tree back and replaced the damaged shingles! I'm a happy camper, LOL (camper reference). It was only $25 over my deductible so I'm not going to file a claim.

Awesome news! I'm so glad it worked out ok for you, especially after all the trouble you had with contractors when remodeling your house.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:15 AM

YES - nice to have found an honest, good company.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
YES - nice to have found an honest, good company.

I'm so glad for you, Flamingo.

On another note, I've been on a modified fast for the past 4.5 days. I'd been eating way too much salt lately and had been retaining way too much fluid. Since Monday I've lost 10 pounds. That's a lot of fluid but I'm already feeling less draggy.

Strange thing is that I'm not hungry at all. I'm drinking a fair amount of water (whenever I feel thirsty) and what I do eat is the Keto Diet (basically, very limited sugars and carbs -- there's more to it than that but I'm a bottom-line kind of person).

My daughter has been on the Keto Diet for 2 months and has lost 25 pounds. She says she's never hungry and never feels deprived. I dont know if I could stay on it forever because I love potatoes and bread so much -- and I'm sure the minute I indulge in some carbs the water weight will come right back. But it still feels good to see those low numbers on the scale for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff