Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 09:37 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~seasoul~ View Post
I don't eat McDonalds food, but I do enjoy some alcohol now and then, so tavern it is! Thanks for the tip.

That video and commentary were very informative for me. "Hill billies without the hills" yikes! It is making more sense to me now why people have steered me more toward the northernmost county. Like I described in my original post, I want country but not COUNTRY. More like suburb-rural border.

The trouble is, housing / property is so much more affordable in the lower 2 counties it seems. But it is looking like I'll really love the feel of New Castle County, so I'll have to be patient and wait for the right place at the right price I guess.

So that video depicted Sussex County mainly? Is Kent County the same?

It was also super interesting for me to listen to the subtle DE accent. I've been wondering about how you all talk there.

Its Penciltucky without the Hills. Eastern Sussex ( Beaches) is nothing like Western Sussex, like Laurel, or Seaford.

I'm sure there are vidoes of Wilmington, DE and Chester, PA that would make you never want to live in middle of them which is North Wilmington.

Last edited by James420; 06-12-2011 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: fix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 09:38 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,012 times
^^^ seasoul - Actually there is a lot of charm downstate. Each part of the state (well, the world in fact) has its share of poverty and decay. It's just as easy to post pictures of New Castle County's housing projects which would also be a turnoff, but we haven't done that. In truth, Kent and Sussex Counties are experiencing double digit growth compared with 7.6% in New Castle County (with most of that in the area adjacent to Kent County): Delaware's southern counties feed state's growth - USATODAY.com. That's why these guys are working construction.

Here is a video from just outside of Seaford which happens to be one of my favorite spots in all Delaware, north or south:

[IMG]Share[/IMG]

YouTube - ‪Old Woodland Ferry - Last Day‬‏

I think this not only captures some of the subtle beauty of the countryside, but also the pride local folks take in their culture and history. The ferry's had mechanical prblems lately, but hoepfuly will be up and running soon.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:08 AM

45 posts, read 103,114 times
That video is lovely.

You guys are right of course, there are surely better and worse areas in each of the 3 counties. This is why I'm so looking forward to visiting the state next month! I think I need to explore and figure out where would be the best fit for me.

Although it will always come down to work location in the end..

Old 06-12-2011, 10:37 AM

9,719 posts, read 14,256,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
^^^ seasoul - Actually there is a lot of charm downstate. Each part of the state (well, the world in fact) has its share of poverty and decay. It's just as easy to post pictures of New Castle County's housing projects which would also be a turnoff, but we haven't done that. In truth, Kent and Sussex Counties are experiencing double digit growth compared with 7.6% in New Castle County (with most of that in the area adjacent to Kent County): Delaware's southern counties feed state's growth - USATODAY.com. That's why these guys are working construction.
Here is a video from just outside of Seaford which happens to be one of my favorite spots in all Delaware, north or south:

YouTube - ‪Old Woodland Ferry - Last Day‬‏
I think this not only captures some of the subtle beauty of the countryside, but also the pride local folks take in their culture and history. The ferry's had mechanical prblems lately, but hoepfuly will be up and running soon.
What a great post, and said with much eloquence! I started to respond, but I would have come off as being defensive. Kent & Sussex take a beating sometimes, and it's usually from those who don't, or who've never, lived here. Might be a good thing, though. Maybe it will slow down the caravans of new people.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:00 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,975,473 times
Seasoul, I'd say that in general you are probably better staying in the more easterly areas of Kent and Sussex, as opposed to the more deeply rural and isolated western parts of those counties -- that is if you want a compromise between urban and rural or outskirts suburban. One nice little town in Sussex that is affordable and might fit that description is Milton, just a little west of Rt 1, a little north of Lewes, and home to the Dogfish Head Craft Brewery. Other places in Kent and Sussex that I would look to meet your description of preferred niche would be the little towns of Camden-and-Wyoming just a little way from Dover, and the medium sized town of Milford that straddles the dividing line of Kent and Sussex counties.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:10 AM

Along the lines of Slower Lower Delaware (it's not Lower Slower as some folks call it) -

Peter Marconi sure got it right - a Wilmington transplant who took much bashing because he moved from Wilmington to Millsboro. As this article says, he turned the negative comments he received from his friends/cohorts into a fashion statement, creating the Slower Lower Delaware Tee Shirt Company (patented). It's a nice story mostly about Millsboro, but also about Pete, and I hope some enjoy it.

By the way, Pete is moving from his long time business address on Main St. in the Town of Millsboro, to Long Neck. Don't know if the move is complete or not.

Millsboro: A country village is growing up | The News Journal | delawareonline.com

Old 06-12-2011, 02:06 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Kent & Sussex take a beating sometimes, and it's usually from those who don't, or who've never, lived here. Might be a good thing, though. Maybe it will slow down the caravans of new people.
As someone who has lived both above and below the canal, I see the positives of each, including the rural areas the OP is being coached to avoid by some. Most of those who visit enjoy southern Delaware, as is evidenced by those who are moving there in droves. As you say, it is usually those who know little about it who make the more disparaging remarks, be it backhand or outright.

Although western Sussex may not everyone's cup of tea, I think it is a very charming area. Here are a few scenes:

All sizes | Laurel, Delaware | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/29295318@N08/3966335294/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | ross mansion seaford 1892 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54180089@N02/5396266850/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | St. Luke's Episcopal Church | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/51036863@N00/3642592646/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mapleleafs/5694258137/sizes/z/in/photostream/ (broken link)

All sizes | nanticoke river, seaford, delaware | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nogoodnik/290878944/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | Laurel, Delaware | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/29295318@N08/3968348555/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/little_larry/2043642272/sizes/z/in/photostream/ (broken link)

All sizes | Woodland Ferry Terminal | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/auvet/5627385959/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 06-12-2011 at 02:24 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 02:15 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
As you say, it is usually those who know little about it who make the more disparaging remarks, be it backhand or outright.
Very well said - and I enjoy seeing the pictures you posted. Thanks for sharing them.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:15 PM

45 posts, read 103,114 times
Beautiful photos!!!

I can't wait to see all of this stuff in person. Delaware looks gorgeous.

My hotels are booked. 2 nights in Lewes, 1 night in Dover, 2 nights in Wilmington. We are planning to stop by the visitor center in Dover 1st thing, on our way to hotel #1 in Lewes.

I have a feeling I'm going to fall in love with DE. I'm going to feel guilty when I decide to move there. I know you guys already have enough newcomers invading

Old 06-12-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~seasoul~ View Post
Beautiful photos!!!
I have a feeling I'm going to fall in love with DE. I'm going to feel guilty when I decide to move there. I know you guys already have enough newcomers invading
Nah! The first caravans I remember coming were in the early 40's. That's when there was no SR 1, of course, and Rt. 13 was only one dual lane. So we built these roads to make it easier for everybody to get here.
Now, you can help us pay for the road maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware