Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 06:04 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times

Advertisements

Oh dear, I don't know what you are going to find in and around Wilmington in the 100K range! The problem isn't fixing the place up. Rather, the problem is the likelihood of being in a very sketchy location. You may be able to find something that isn't in an unsafe area, but I think it may be difficult. You'd definitely need to consult with a realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 08:01 PM

69 posts, read 162,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Oh dear, I don't know what you are going to find in and around Wilmington in the 100K range! The problem isn't fixing the place up. Rather, the problem is the likelihood of being in a very sketchy location. You may be able to find something that isn't in an unsafe area, but I think it may be difficult. You'd definitely need to consult with a realtor.

I am open to other areas of the state. Have a lot of flexibility - but Wilmington sounded interesting. A lot will be in visiting and finding "good" areas. What other city/ town/ area might be better for looking into?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:07 PM

Definitely farther south, especially in one of the smaller towns, though not in the beach towns. Folks on this forum who live in Kent and Sussex counties can give you more informed info on what towns would be most feasible. I wouldn't entirely rule-out northern New Castle County, but you really will need guidance in where you can find low priced houses that are in safe neighborhoods. A real estate agent would be in the best position to help you on that, I think.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 20,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineappleMSW View Post
This thread is very helpful...I am mid 50s and currently a 24/7 caregiver for my mother with advanced dementia. Because I have time, I have been researching places to move to when I no longer have any responsibilities here. Delaware has been a recent find for me. I am not into going out a lot, but enjoy dining out, movies, basics. The idea of close to a university for classes would be great. And the proximity and ease of getting to a big city like Philly wonderful. But, of course, I should say I currently live in Kansas. I spent two years in St Louis in grad school and with all that there is to offer there, the traffic, pace, etc are not my "cup of tea." After reading this thread, I am looking more at Wilmington - any other areas with a more affordable housing market (prefer under100k as another "hobby" is home improvement so something liveable but needing work is wonderful) and pet friendly - Delialah the 7 year old cat and Clancy a 3 year old challenge child (border collie /husky mix) are my "family" moving with me.
I lived in northern Delaware for many years, although I've been away for 15 years. I was very happy in an area called "Pike Creek". It was very safe, a short drive to the University of Delaware in Newark, and close to shopping and restaurants. Unlike most of Delaware, Pike Creek is hilly and a great place for walkers. There are townhouses, condos, and single family homes. I haven't been back there in some time, but maybe someone who has will join in to let us know if it's changed.

I've been thinking hard about returning to Delaware, as my parents are getting on in years and may soon need help. They live in north Dover and won't budge although the crime that has moved into the Dover area is a concern. Dover used to be such a safe place but that has changed. We used to walk through old Dover all of the time, but we wouldn't do that nowadays.

Last edited by Cinlar; 10-20-2011 at 12:22 PM..

Old 10-20-2011, 02:28 PM

I wouldn't think you'd want to walk through old Dover at 2.00 a.m., but I don't see why you'd be reluctant to walk around the area during more normal times for people to be out. Doesn't seem scary or dangerous to me.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:03 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,764 times
i think it depends on what your looking for im moving to magnolia - reason being i found a place 4 miles from the beach yet the community seems to contain quite a few farms - im looking for a place that i can walk on the beach which i find very enjoyable and having fresh produce from the local farms is certainly high on my list - if you pull up www.theguide.com they list local events - i spent a year looking for a place to hang my hat traveling up and down the east coast but the funniest thing of all is that i never thought of delaware - i can upon delaware completely by accident by taking another route home - even though my immediate first impression was this is it - i returned to delaware a couple of times to be sure and found my first impression was correct - im by no means ready for a rocking chair but i find the beach seafood restaurants and local events very enjoyable - i do like to visit museums with exhibits im interested in and what luck that philly has the franklin institue - if your looking for city entertainment 24/7 you should live in a city and not southern delaware

Old 10-23-2011, 12:54 PM

69 posts, read 162,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinlar View Post
I lived in northern Delaware for many years, although I've been away for 15 years. I was very happy in an area called "Pike Creek". It was very safe, a short drive to the University of Delaware in Newark, and close to shopping and restaurants. Unlike most of Delaware, Pike Creek is hilly and a great place for walkers. There are townhouses, condos, and single family homes. I haven't been back there in some time, but maybe someone who has will join in to let us know if it's changed.

I've been thinking hard about returning to Delaware, as my parents are getting on in years and may soon need help. They live in north Dover and won't budge although the crime that has moved into the Dover area is a concern. Dover used to be such a safe place but that has changed. We used to walk through old Dover all of the time, but we wouldn't do that nowadays.
I have been doing the care for parent for 3 1/2 years and will be glad to help with any ideas/ info for you. It's not easy to do, but I have learned a lot.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:26 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinlar View Post

Looks like prices in Newark proper are ~ 200K median, or thereabouts. What would a 3/2/2 go for in Pike Creek? Is it far enough from the University to somewhat escape the local inflation factor?

Old 10-24-2011, 05:25 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Northern Delawareans aren't all traveling to Wilmington or Philadelphia to work. Some are going across the bridge to NJ or over to Delaware City or maybe to Christiana Hospital. That means that the housing sprawl and prices don't stop ten minutes from the Pennsylvania state line. My husband grew up just south of Newark and his father commuted daily to New Jersey.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:19 PM

32 posts, read 115,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post

We hicks are not worthy. Please move to California.
That's funny! Oh well these comments just show. What is one person's "cup of tea" is not necessarily the same for others.

People need to do their research and visit, if possible, the location you are thinking of moving to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware