Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 07:37 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times

Advertisements

I just came from a meeting with the director of Emergency management and his descriptions of the damage was quite sobering. He asked that if you have a primary residence and your home sustained damage, that you contact the below number to report the damage. It will not get money for you but quite possibly will get federal money for the future disaster response.

Sussex County requests storm damage reports

Georgetown, Del. (6:30 p.m. Mon., Jan. 25, 2016): Sussex County emergency managers are asking property owners and residents affected by this weekend’s historic coastal storm to submit information on any damage to homes and businesses so officials can map the reports and gain a clearer sense of what issues the winter nor’easter left in its wake.

Members of the public who experienced any storm-related damage to their properties can report incidents to the Sussex County Emergency Operations Center by calling the EOC at (302) 856-7366 beginning at 9 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 26. Property owners and residents should be prepared to provide details about the type of damage suffered, what caused it, the location, and whether they have insurance.

Damage must be a result of the storm between Friday, Jan. 22, and Sunday, Jan. 24. Only businesses and primary residences, not seasonal homes, are eligible.

“First-hand reports from property owners are critical for us, as emergency managers, to assess the amount of damage that follows an event like this major winter storm,” EOC Director Joseph L. Thomas said. “We know there is the potential for serious flooding damage, particularly along the Inland Bays and other low-lying areas. So it’s important to get that information in hand quickly to get a clearer sense of the storm’s effects.”

Information collected by the Sussex County EOC will be used for assessment reports that are shared with the Delaware Emergency Management Agency for consideration toward any future federal disaster assistance application.

###

Media calls should be directed to EOC spokeswoman Debra Jones at (302) 855-7801.

Media Contact
Debra Jones, EOC spokeswoman
(302) 855-7801
debjones@sussexcountyde.gov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 07:17 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,260,591 times
Meanwhile, in Kent County our own Bowers Beach had their blizzard problems.
Photo
http://delawarefreenews.org/2016/01/...end-at-10-a-m/

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-30-2016 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: Sorry, but you cannot post pictures that are not your own, even when you attribute them correctly. Give link instead.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:06 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,035 times
Did not appear to be boardwalk damage after the storm now they are saying could be $400K damage at the north end of Boardwalk. Looks like one of the hiking trails has been closed also.
Rehoboth Boardwalk repair estimate: $150,000 -$400,000

Old 02-05-2016, 02:10 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
We were there on Surf and Lake at 5:15 Saturday night and I was stunned that they said there was little to no damage. The road was closed and the waves crashing on to the road. With every crash the beating it was taking was incredible and down on Rehoboth Ave and the boardwalk you saw the degree of erosion that pulled the sand away from the boardwalk. To say I am not surprised is an understatement. After doing emergency work on L.I. during and after Sandy, I can say it isn't pretty for sure but I have seen worse.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:58 AM

With sand, the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away - By Dennis Forney - CapeGazette.com - Covering Delaware's Cape Region - Inland Bays, Atlantic Ocean, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Milton, Dewey Beach, USA

That pipe sticking up several feet used to be under the sand.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:36 AM

Carper tours Oak Orchard to honor IRVFC rescuers - By Steven Billups - CapeGazette.com - Covering Delaware's Cape Region - Inland Bays, Atlantic Ocean, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Milton, Dewey Beach, USA
Not just the beach areas get flooded. Sen Carper is thankin Indian River Fire Company for their help evacuating Oak Orchard which is on a back bay. (Indian River Bay)

Old 03-04-2016, 11:40 AM

Sussex Tech Band to Participate in NY St. Patrick’s Day Parade | WGMD
Sussex Tech which serves all of Sussex County is locally known for it's sports teams. Looks like it's band is getting national attention. They will be participating in the NY St Patty's Day Parade which will be shown not only on US TV but European TV as well.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:06 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,639 times
Let me start by saying I love dogs, pretty much all dogs but Pitbulls filling the SPCA's in Delaware, the shelters and rescues plus seeing them for $ 100 on Delaware craiglist makes me nuts.

Yes we have a dog fighting problem in the state and its not just Wilmington, but at what point is enough enough? It makes me wonder how many families needed to give up their dog only to be turned away because of the hundreds of irresponsible Pitbull owners in this state and around the country.

I'm not for breed discrimination in any part of the state, but maybe the sellers of these puppies, especially back yard breeders should be forced to spay or neuter these dogs before they are sold.

Just a rant....

Old 03-19-2016, 09:54 AM

No sense starting a new thread as it has been thoroughly discussed here. Obama has approved Federal Funding for storm damage in Delaware.
President Obama Signs Delaware Disaster Declaration | WGMD

Old 03-30-2016, 10:24 AM

Delaware taxpayers urged to be on guard against IRS phone scams - CapeGazette.com - Covering Delaware's Cape Region - Inland Bays, Atlantic Ocean, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Milton, Dewey Beach, USA

Just a reminder the bad guys calling and claiming to be IRS are frauds. Hang up. IRS first contact will not be by phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware