Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 11:50 PM

174 posts, read 940,762 times

Advertisements

My children, pets and I recently moved here from Montana. I had the job secured and seemed as if I had a house. Well the house wasn't ready and isn't still, three weeks later and the landlord just raised the rent. We were approved for it but some things had me questioning the situation so we are looking elsewhere.

While I see plenty of places allowing pets there seems to be a harsh limit on how many and even in the country!

Who knows what about pet limits in certain cities? I have seen that Aurora has a law about free-roaming cats. I had one landlord tell me she wouldn't allow pets outside because coyotes would eat them. We lived in Montana and I know the risks shouldn't that be my choice? Another person told me cats should NOT be allowed outside due to risks to their life and that of wildlife. He had no answer to a neutered cat who sprays that I don't want inside.

I am used to living in the country and haven't had great town experiences. What I am seeing here is the country places are expensive and no more lenient with pets. What areas would be best with dogs and cats? Any thoughts? I am looking at Lakewood and do like Parker and Littleton. Evergreen and Conifer are possibilities as well. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 08:47 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Where is work an how much are you looking to spend in rent?

How can your landlord raise your rent with a signed lease?

Old 07-10-2010, 09:39 AM

357 posts, read 1,286,695 times
really, the wildlife will eat your pets here. you see very few cats outside and that's because they're eaten once they go outside. they're easy pickins. no matter where you are here in co they're going to be a tasty appetizer for something. I'm here in close suburbs of denver and I have a fox that hangs out in my backyard, coyotes that wander thru, etc. and this is while my neighbors all have dogs. those wild animals fear very little in the way of domesticated beasts.

what we did is tell the landlord that we stand by our pets and offered a large deposit to secure against any damage. we trusted our animals and said they wouldn't do any damage (they didn't). I think the deposit we offered was something like $1500, but the landlord only took 500 or something. we had three cats and two indoor rabbits.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:33 PM

174 posts, read 940,762 times
Default rentals

We hadn't signed the lease yet on the house we were looking at. As I have looked at places over the past couples weeks I see she has increased the rent by $100/month and it was barely worth the initial price. I work in Littleton. My relatives in Littleton tell me about the foxes eating the cats there. We have lived in the country in Oregon and Montana and have lost a few cats but not tons. Two did disappear last summer in MT, probably coyotes. One wasn't outside savvy enough and I should have gotten him in that night but I had become complacent since our outdoor cats survive well. But they must have outside senses. One cat who sprays simply cannot come inside my house but I don't want to give him away or have him euthanized either. There has to be a happy medium. I am considering giving away my chocolate lab though. I did that one other time and he ended up back with us. I think the time has come again.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:18 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
It may make more sense to buy, if renting is that difficult.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:09 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,979 times
If orygun is still reading this thread, there is an inexpensive medication for neutered indoor cats who spray. It is fluoxetine (if not sp correctly, it is close); it is the generic of prozac. Most cats will need only 1/4- possiblly 1/2 tablet per day. They will likely take it most readily in a "Greenies Pill Pocket", especially the duck version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver