Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Denver a Beautiful City?
Yes, though it's not the MOST beautiful. 47 57.32%
No, it's flat out fugly. 8 9.76%
It's so-so. 19 23.17%
If there's a job there for me, it's freaking beautiful. 8 9.76%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 03:36 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,891,633 times

Advertisements

I cant say its top 10, but its certainly better looking than a lot of larger cities. I think the lack of water keeps its beauty down as almost every city on the most beautiful list has water prominently factoring in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 03:50 PM

792 posts, read 2,875,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The view from the Nature and Science museum over the city to the mountains is beautiful no matter what time of the year.
I always see these same - completely unrepresentative - photos of Denver. I voted so-so. There are quite a few green, hilly, leafy, architecturally awesome cities. Denver has great quality of life, but for me it's too cement-y and to be beautiful. I say something like "very pleasant" is more accurate.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:17 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,219,591 times
Beautiful city. I even like the tan color of winter, particular when covered in snow.

The look of some of our houses have something to be desired, though.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:18 PM

654 posts, read 1,910,908 times
Beauty is so subjective. What one finds beautiful, another may not. I think Denver is beautiful. One of the things I find most appealing is the contrast. Mountains to the west, plains to the east, some parts have lots of trees, others not many. The strong differences in season also show contrast between the dead browns of winter and lively greens of spring and summer. I find all the variety beautiful but realize not everyone will.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,035,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The view from the Nature and Science museum over the city to the mountains is beautiful no matter what time of the year.

I think the parks and historic neighborhoods in Denver are very nice looking.

The most beautiful city in the US is San Francisco...hands down.

I agree. You can't compare Denver to San Francisco or to Seattle. Denver just doesn't have the hills, water, bridges, etc. to compete. But Denver could probably tie with a handful other cities for #3. That view from city park to Downtown and the mountains is awesome.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:24 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,316,428 times
IMHO, Denver as a whole is NOT a beautiful city. It ranges from downright ugly in parts (and at certain times of the year) to just ok, tolerable but kinda bland. And that goes for the suburbs too. One of the few areas that I would consider "beautiful," is the so-called "Lo Hi" (I hate that name) part of the Highlands neighborhood with its hilly views of downtown and nice mix of historic and modern architecture.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:35 PM

85 posts, read 179,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
IMHO, Denver as a whole is NOT a beautiful city. It ranges from downright ugly in parts (and at certain times of the year) to just ok, tolerable but kinda bland. And that goes for the suburbs too. One of the few areas that I would consider "beautiful," is the so-called "Lo Hi" (I hate that name) part of the Highlands neighborhood with its hilly views of downtown and nice mix of historic and modern architecture.
Yes, but it's so close to spectacularly pretty areas... like Georgetown or Idaho Springs (and, of course, near to many others further into the mountains). And I think that's what gives Denver such a clear leg up over some very obvious losers like Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, OK City, etc. Denver may be bland, but it experiences four real seasons, gets lots of sunshine, has fairly nice mountain views (in places), and is convenient to some of the prettiest places in the United States.

Take a Houston as a comparative example -- what does it have? Well... a very active ship channel, if you're into watching big ships sail by (I am, most are not)...

No mountains...

No hills...

Hot (and frequently humid) weather...

Even its ocean is pretty poor, since the outflow of the Mississippi sends most of the silt towards Houston, turning the water on the beaches an eternal brown.

But that's probably a step up over Dallas, which has all over the above flaws and NO beach. Or San Antonio which, outside of the city center, more resembles a South American slum than any competing U.S. city.

So, yeah, maybe Denver itself isn't the most spectacularly beautiful city in its own right. But its location makes it a hub or starting point for numerous potential day trip adventures in the Rockies, which few cities can claim.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:47 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,504,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
I always see these same - completely unrepresentative - photos of Denver. I voted so-so. There are quite a few green, hilly, leafy, architecturally awesome cities. Denver has great quality of life, but for me it's too cement-y and to be beautiful. I say something like "very pleasant" is more accurate.
Completely unrepresentative? Those are pictures of Denver with the mountain backdrop..I'd say that is exactly what people think of about Denver.

I don't get why "green" cities = beautiful...to me unique beauty can come in many different colors. But I like desert cities...Joshua Tree, CA is a dry beaut to me.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 PM

152 posts, read 392,475 times
Denver is ugly as hell. Brown, brown, brown everywhere! It's not the type of brown that is enjoyable, such as in a desert. It is the type of brown that just gives off a feeling of lifelessness, decay, and quite frankly, death. The "city" is green only for a short time each year (May-October), so the majority of time dormant lawns and trees dominate the landscape. The buildings, especially in the suburbs, are unbelievably hideous (plain and ordinary). When it snows here enough to cover the ground, the place looks much better. However, that snow just melts off in a day or two, once again revealing the depressing prairie that Denver is situtated on! Denver is honestly the ugliest city I have ever been to. There is nothing endearing about its natural or manmade landscape. In fact, I had to recently take a trip to Albuquerque to get some flavor back in my life! There, they have nice regional architecture (pueblo and stucco buildings). This city is just terrible! Maybe you'll like it though.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:29 AM

85 posts, read 179,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Transplant View Post
Denver is ugly as hell. Brown, brown, brown everywhere! It's not the type of brown that is enjoyable, such as in a desert. It is the type of brown that just gives off a feeling of lifelessness, decay, and quite frankly, death. The "city" is green only for a short time each year (May-October), so the majority of time dormant lawns and trees dominate the landscape. The buildings, especially in the suburbs, are unbelievably hideous (plain and ordinary). When it snows here enough to cover the ground, the place looks much better. However, that snow just melts off in a day or two, once again revealing the depressing prairie that Denver is situtated on! Denver is honestly the ugliest city I have ever been to. There is nothing endearing about its natural or manmade landscape. In fact, I had to recently take a trip to Albuquerque to get some flavor back in my life! There, they have nice regional architecture (pueblo and stucco buildings). This city is just terrible! Maybe you'll like it though.
Dude... everywhere that experiences seasons gets brown in the winter. The only reason Denver seems more brown is because there's a lot more grass and a lot fewer trees. And, FYI, grass tends to get brown pretty much every place that experiences frost. Circle of life, blah blah, it's green again the following spring.

My impression of Denver has never been brown, but rather of it being a city built on the steppes. But that's not even accurate because there are plenty of natural woodland areas around (have you ever been to the Black Forest to the south?).

Denver doesn't have water. Okay, we get it. Neither do a lot of great cities. That's going to bother some people... others, not really. But to label Denver as looking more dead than a desert is just utter silliness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver