Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:32 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,121 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently rent in the Golden Triangle but have been looking at possibly buying a house in central Denver with a child on the way. Wash Park is at the top of our list, but also at the top of our price range ($500K) for a 2 or 3 bedroom. My question for those that live there is do you enjoy it and was it worth the high price? We are also looking in Platte Park, University and Rosedale. I work downtown and would likely use the light rail at Louisiana, and my wife works by DU.

Does anyone know more about:
- Gyms or workout groups/boot camps in the area
- Crime in the neighborhood
- Good coffee shops (similar to our neighborhood place Rooster & Moon)
- Street parking (lots of people seem to park on the street visiting Gaylord and the park, do residents get a permit or is it first come first serve?)
- Daycare for infants in the area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 09:11 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Washington Park is the premier neighborhood in Denver. There is all that you are looking for an more there. If you want to stretch your housing dollars then look at the other neighborhoods. There is also Cap Hill, Bonnie Brae, Hilltop....

Old 01-15-2013, 10:43 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Some data

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthXSW View Post
Does anyone know more about:
- Crime in the neighborhood
- Good coffee shops (similar to our neighborhood place Rooster & Moon)
- Street parking (lots of people seem to park on the street visiting Gaylord and the park, do residents get a permit or is it first come first serve?)
I lived in Bonnie Brae for 24 years (1987-2011).

Crime - Crime Statistics and Maps | Denver Police Department by neighborhood and police districts (Wash Park is District 3)

Coffee - Wash Perk Wash Perk Coffee | Washington Park, CO

The blocks near the South Gaylord shopping area are restricted. Nothing else in Wash Park to my knowledge.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:46 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
I am biased, but it is totally worth it.

My wife and I originally bought a 2 bedroom here in 2004, but our family has since grown and we have outgrown the house. We were determined to stay in the neighborhood and bought a lot to scrape back in 2007. We are finally getting around to our dream house build project and will be moving in this fall. Can't really see being anywhere else at this point.

Yes prices are higher here, but there is some security in that. How many other people in this country bought a house in 2004 and are either even or ahead right now? Wash Park will never experience the swings that the rest of the real estate market does because the supply is so limited.

Platte Park is also great.

Wash Perk coffee is outstanding if you are on the West Side of the park. East Side is more about South Gaylord shops.

As for gyms, there are several around. Powerhouse on Logan & Alameda is not bad. We used to belong there. I recently switched over to the Coors fitness Center at DU for the pool. There are also several CrossFit gyms nearby if that's your thing.

If you live within a block of South Gaylord you get a street permit, otherwise it's first come, first serve, which really has never been a big problem for me.

Not sure on daycare, but we have found several great option for preschool.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:44 AM

112 posts, read 168,142 times
Just sent you a PM about preschools in the area as I'm starting to look.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:32 PM

One other thing that kind of goes overlooked about Wash Park and particularly West Wash Park is the ease of Highway access. I am 8 blocks from an on-ramp to I-25. I can be in Golden in 15-20 minutes if there is not traffic. Castle Rock in 20-25 minutes, LODO in 10 minutes.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:45 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,121 times
Thanks for the replies. It really seems like a great neighborhood, one I really enjoy just walking around either down the tree-lined streets or to the park or to Gaylord. I like that it's close to DU for their events and I'll have to check out their workout facility. Is it open to the public or just students/faculty?

What about restaurants in the area? I've been to Devils Food (one of my favorites for breakfast), Il Vicino and Japon but haven't really tried any others as we usually stick to downtown and Highland. I love Sushi Den on Pearl, and Jerusalem by DU.

The house we like is in the SE part of the neighborhood. SW seems to be the best value with proximity to the park, light rail and also near Pearl St. but the nicest streets seem to be the ones around the park and near Old Gaylord.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:03 AM

DU's gym is open to the public. It's really nice.

East side's streets are a bit nicer. That's where we are building, but I will miss the proximity to Wash Perk, Whole Foods and the highway access on the West Side when we move.

The restaurant scene is basically south Pearl, South Gaylord, Bonnie Brae (great ice cream!), Alameda, Evans by DU and then of course Cherry Creek is only a few minutes away. Plenty of places to eat.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:06 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,604 times
Wash Park real estate is absurd for anyone without a trust fund.

Come on up to the Northeast side--City Park, Cole, Whittier, etc. Best real estate deals in town right now, and will be the next section of town to 'blow up' in 5-10 years.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:20 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Come on up to the Northeast side--City Park, Cole, Whittier, etc. Best real estate deals in town right now, and will be the next section of town to 'blow up' in 5-10 years.
Maybe yes or maybe no.

1. The OP said "work near DU" and "family".

2. 15+ years ago I thought that Baker was the next up-and-coming neighborhood. It had a lot of the signs. Still not there yet. Trajectories are very hard to predict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver