Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 02:28 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Phoenix is absolutely filthy. Every person who came to visit us would comment on how dirty the freeways were and how much garbage was flying around everywhere. Maybe it's because people don't take pride in where they live because they claim another state as their own. Who knows...but you will notice the trash right away.

100% incorrect. I just got back from a visit there and it is absolutely SPOTLESS. I was very surprised to see how clean freeways, streets, sidewalks, etc were there. Coming back to Detroit made it seem like I went back into a landfill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 03:25 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
100% incorrect. I just got back from a visit there and it is absolutely SPOTLESS. I was very surprised to see how clean freeways, streets, sidewalks, etc were there. Coming back to Detroit made it seem like I went back into a landfill.
After having read the post by 3Ds, I think it was Phoenix that he said was so dirty, not Denver.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:32 PM

6 posts, read 33,175 times
Yikes! I live in Denver (have only been here a month but....) and was raised in Gilbert, AZ a middle to upper middle-class sub of Phx and as soon as I graduated high school I got out of there. AZ is a vacation spot - not for real living. The weather is fine - hot, but fine. What I can't stand is the unnaturalness of it all. It isn't real by any stretch of the imagination! If you like malls and strip-malls and chain restaurants and playing the "keeping up with the Jones' " game then you will be very happy in Phx or any of its surrounding areas.

Once out of Maricopa Co it is wonderful. Beautiful and full of culture and history.

The valley does have a bunch of good Mexican food restaurants, a lot of scrapbooking stores and an expanding job market. Go for Denver. I have lived in several other cities that I have loved and I really do think we will be very happy here.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:47 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
After having read the post by 3Ds, I think it was Phoenix that he said was so dirty, not Denver.
I was referring to Phoenix....

Old 12-05-2007, 05:25 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,735 times
Default Sorry...But Phoenix IS Filthy

Sorry...I stand by my previous post. We just returned from a trip to visit family in Phoenix and on the way back from the airport, we nearly hit a ladder that was sitting horizontally in the fast lane.

On the way to the mall, there was insulation blowing all over the freeway.

On the way to a restaurant, we counted 2 mattresses, numerous bags of garbage and more cigarette butts than I could count.

By the way, this was in Chandler...around a "nice neighborhood". The problem is that there are laws that prohibit people from cleaning in the freeway medians. Don't know why, but it just adds to the problem.

I guarantee you that you will be hard pressed to find someone who claims that Phoenix is as clean as you do. Not trying to be hostile...just stating the facts.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:19 PM

259 posts, read 823,264 times
Thanks a lot for all the posts as this is one I am struggling on.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:29 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Sorry...I stand by my previous post. We just returned from a trip to visit family in Phoenix and on the way back from the airport, we nearly hit a ladder that was sitting horizontally in the fast lane.

On the way to the mall, there was insulation blowing all over the freeway.

On the way to a restaurant, we counted 2 mattresses, numerous bags of garbage and more cigarette butts than I could count.

By the way, this was in Chandler...around a "nice neighborhood". The problem is that there are laws that prohibit people from cleaning in the freeway medians. Don't know why, but it just adds to the problem.

I guarantee you that you will be hard pressed to find someone who claims that Phoenix is as clean as you do. Not trying to be hostile...just stating the facts.
I do have to say, having lived in the Phoenix Metro area for about 14 years, that I never found it particularly dirty, just not particularly clean. Some parts of town better than others, of course, but for the most part so much of the "city" (or sprawl) is "new" that it hasn't really had time to get that dirty. Of course, I've been living in Los Angeles for a couple years now which probably jades my perspective even further. A freeway without paper plates, fast food wrappers, plastic drink bottles and diapers strewn along the shoulder isn't a real Angelino freeway! Nevermind the regular streets...

That said, I haven't been in Denver in a very long time, so it's possible that it's cleaner than Phoenix, but that just makes it even more appealing since I didn't think Phoenix was that bad.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:24 PM

24 posts, read 69,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2544 View Post
Schools and wages suck in Arizona. Phoenix can be 116 F, in mid-October.
That's never happend. I will have to assume you've never been here. In October it can get up to 95, but that's it.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:45 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brood Of Vipers View Post
That's never happend. I will have to assume you've never been here. In October it can get up to 95, but that's it.
Actually, it can get up to low 100s and it has in the last 2 years I have been here.
However, it does cool down quite a bit after Sun down which is a huge plus.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:05 PM

24 posts, read 69,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Actually, it can get up to low 100s and it has in the last 2 years I have been here.
However, it does cool down quite a bit after Sun down which is a huge plus.
Mabey, but it's def. not typical. It certainly doesn't get up to 116
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver