Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 03:29 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times

Advertisements

Gertie, since you're moving to Denver, I merged your "clothing" thread into your moving to Denver thread so we can have all your advice in one place.

Clothing for Fall and Winter in the Denver Metro Area is a piece of cake. I lived in the Baltimore - DC area for 57 years and except for a few extreme days and nights the rest of the time it's less rigorous here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 03:29 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I live in Denver.
I wear shorts and a golf shirt 300+ days a year.
I wear blue jeans and a golf shirt 65 days a year.
I wear a fleece 60 days a year. I wear Crocs every month.
I don't own boots or a coat.
I walk 2+ miles 5 days a week.

FYI - state law requires that each person in the household own at least one item from The North Face.
Dave, you have to keep up on the legislature. The law was amended. The Patagucci lobby has overtaken the North Face.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:42 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Democrats and their control

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Dave, you have to keep up on the legislature. The law was amended. The Patagucci lobby has overtaken the North Face.
I knew that nothing good would come of civil unions.
When are you going to tell Gertie about the Subaru requirement?

Old 09-01-2013, 04:05 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
They are moving from Florida. People from Florida will find it cold. People from Alaska or Montana will be running around in shorts and t-shirts. They will need ski type jackets, gloves and hats. The kids will need snow pants and boots as they will want to go sledding. No need to buy them in advance you can pick them up cheap here at Ross or Marshall's.

I love my waterproof snow boots because I want to walk every day. I love my stadium coat for the same reason and my scarf, super warm hat and gloves. I only need these items a handful of times a year but I do try to get outside every single day. If one just goes into the car and back then a lighter jacket plus some gloves are all you need although it is always good to carry some heavy duty stuff (proper boots, hat, jacket) in the car when you go out in a snow storm in case you get stuck.

Oops forgot to answer the wildlife question. On hiking trails you don't want to let the 6 yr old run ahead. The mountain lions love an unattended running screaming 6 yr old. You want to teach the kids not to stick their hand behind rocks so they don't find a rattle snake. You want to teach them to stay on the trail and near you, not climbing off trail and on the rocks for the same reason. You want to teach them what to do if they encounter wildlife. Backing away slowly appearing bigger, not running and screaming. You want to teach them to haze coyotes and not try to pet them, feed them or approach them. In the metro populated areas you should have no problems. In a more suburban/rural area the coyotes can be a bit bold.

Great advice all around.

I'd just add if you like fall/winter clothes (nice sweaters, etc.) take advantage of being able to wear them here.
And dress in layers. Mornings will be chilly, afternoons not so much, as long as the sun is shining.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Great advice all around.

I'd just add if you like fall/winter clothes (nice sweaters, etc.) take advantage of being able to wear them here.
And dress in layers. Mornings will be chilly, afternoons not so much, as long as the sun is shining.
Yeah, this is the kind of place where you'll wear a sweater or light jacket to work, and leave it at the office when you leave b/c it's warmed up and you forgot your wore it!

Old 09-02-2013, 11:21 AM

371 posts, read 494,233 times
I have 4 coats, but I'm also a bit obsessed with them.

1) Hoodie -- for slightly chilly days, around 45-60 degrees
2) Leather -- most often worn one, for sunny days/nights between 25-45 degrees.
3) Middleweight regular coat -- for snowy/rainy days when I don't want to take the leather out, between 20-45 degrees.
4) Big heavy coat -- for the super cold snaps we get every once in a while. Under 20 degrees.

#2 gets worn the most, followed by #1. #3 and #4 only get pulled out when necessary. Provided you're not spending tons of time in the mountains or waiting for buses on cold snowy nights, you can probably get by with just one middle-weight coat and a few sweaters or sweatshirts. I don't even own a pair of boots, though they're good to have for kids especially. One good pair of gloves, one good hat that covers the ears, and you'll be set. They shouldn't be expensive.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:13 PM

19 posts, read 26,634 times
Okay so wow! For some reason I totally assumed the North Face and Subaru thing...I have not purchased either BUT just today I passed a Subaru Outback and thought 'hmmm...seems like it would be a great car for Denver!' I s*** you not! Sorry I have been MIA we moved in with my in-laws to get our house ready for moving...cleaning, packing and throwing TONS of stuff away! I have been contemplating the Goodwill, Thrift Stores for everything we need. I have a feeling they are going to be much nicer than the ones here! I haven't done any shopping for clothes yet because I am still house/apt. hunting!! Starting to panic, our one really good prospect was snatched up from underneath us!

Old 09-04-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmet View Post
I have 4 coats, but I'm also a bit obsessed with them.

1) Hoodie -- for slightly chilly days, around 45-60 degrees
2) Leather -- most often worn one, for sunny days/nights between 25-45 degrees.
3) Middleweight regular coat -- for snowy/rainy days when I don't want to take the leather out, between 20-45 degrees.
4) Big heavy coat -- for the super cold snaps we get every once in a while. Under 20 degrees.

#2 gets worn the most, followed by #1. #3 and #4 only get pulled out when necessary. Provided you're not spending tons of time in the mountains or waiting for buses on cold snowy nights, you can probably get by with just one middle-weight coat and a few sweaters or sweatshirts. I don't even own a pair of boots, though they're good to have for kids especially. One good pair of gloves, one good hat that covers the ears, and you'll be set. They shouldn't be expensive.
I love it!

I honestly feel like my most versatile coat for around Denver is a down sweater/micro puff type jacket. I wear it fall through spring. I have a really puffy down for the super cold days, but don't need it too often.

You can never go wrong with Patagucci:

Patagonia Men's Down Sweater

Old 09-07-2013, 04:41 PM

13 posts, read 14,301 times
I'm also a mom moving to Denver, coincidentally on the same date for the same reason. WHERE did you see the information on bed bugs and roaches??!! I did a little scream when I read that!! Denverites, please say it ain't so!!

Old 09-07-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerLady View Post
I'm also a mom moving to Denver, coincidentally on the same date for the same reason. WHERE did you see the information on bed bugs and roaches??!! I did a little scream when I read that!! Denverites, please say it ain't so!!
Roaches are very rare here. You have to be extraordinarily filthy in most cases to see roaches.

Bed bugs are not climate dependent since they live indoors. They are everywhere in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver