Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 03:36 PM

6 posts, read 9,887 times

Advertisements

Currently my boyfriend and I are planning a move to the Denver Area. He will have finished his culinary degree and I will have just finished my event planning degree. We are looking to escape from hot, humid, conservative, congested Austin and are looking for a new start in Denver.

Q #1 What are some great neighborhoods? We aren't looking to be downtown but we aren't sure what the "suburb" seen is there... Suggestions?

Q#2 Our budget is about 1600 for a 2 bedroom, how realistic is that?

Q#3 On a scale of 1-10 how friendly are landlords about dogs? We have a lab mix and simply wont go anywhere without her!

Thanks!!

Last edited by renatadelena; 10-28-2014 at 04:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 04:03 PM

384 posts, read 508,011 times
If I were you, I'd head for Capitol Hill, the Highlands, RiNo, Wash Park, etc. Now, not sure $1600 will get it done there, but its in the ballpark. The suburbs are great (I live there), but I think you'd want to start out a little closer to the action and the people in your age group.

And not all landlords are dog friendly, but it seems EVERYONE here has a dog (or three).

Old 10-28-2014, 04:53 PM

52 posts, read 696,628 times
Denver is turning into a red state.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:04 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliSpaghetti View Post
Well, Denver is a city and solidly blue. Colorado is a purple state that is seeming content to stay purple for now.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:16 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,727,785 times
Did you say Austin was conservative????

Old 10-28-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by step33 View Post
If I were you, I'd head for Capitol Hill, the Highlands, RiNo, Wash Park, etc. Now, not sure $1600 will get it done there, but its in the ballpark. The suburbs are great (I live there), but I think you'd want to start out a little closer to the action and the people in your age group.

And not all landlords are dog friendly, but it seems EVERYONE here has a dog (or three).
Thanks for the advice I will look into the area!!

Old 10-28-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Did you say Austin was conservative????
The city of Austin is the itty bitty bit of blue in Texas. But we have this thing called gerrymandering that happens pretty often so none of our elections turn out blue.
Although my neighbors might agree with my politics not actually being represented in a place I pay taxes is too much to handle.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:12 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,125,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliSpaghetti View Post
Not sure where you are from (if I had to guess from the user name, I'd say Cincinnati), but if you are from Colorado, you haven't been paying attention to politics.

Voters in Colorado are split into thirds: 1/3 are Republican, 1/3 are Democrat, and 1/3 are Independent. It has been this way for decades. A politician cannot win a statewide election without gaining the support of Independents.

Of the governors in the past 30 years, four have been Democrats (22 years) and one has been a Republican (8 years). The state legislature is usually split as well with one branch being controlled by Republicans and the other controlled by Democrats. Even our senators are usually split with one Republican and one Democrat, and currently the Representatives from Colorado are split with three Democrats and four Republicans.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:16 PM

529 posts, read 1,548,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatadelena View Post
The city of Austin is the itty bitty bit of blue in Texas. But we have this thing called gerrymandering that happens pretty often so none of our elections turn out blue.
Although my neighbors might agree with my politics not actually being represented in a place I pay taxes is too much to handle.
Austin is more conservative when compared to San Francisco, Boston, New York, or Seattle, but just about every place in the U.S. is though.

Denver might be comparable to Austin in terms of the conservative/liberal ratio but both cities are pretty darn "liberal". Tell someone in Dallas or Houston that Austin is conservative and they'll laugh at you!

I would say that both Austin and El Paso are the two main majority liberal cities in Texas, with San Antonio being a distant third. Dallas and Houston are really only liberal in the very core parts of each city, Trust me even Dallas has plenty of very liberal people!

Remember though basing a move only on the reputation of the political leaning of a city or state might not be a good overall choice. Definitely do tons of research about a city for more than just basic politics and decide if it fits your values and liking.

Good Luck!

Old 10-28-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
Austin is more conservative when compared to San Francisco, Boston, New York, or Seattle, but just about every place in the U.S. is though.

Denver might be comparable to Austin in terms of the conservative/liberal ratio but both cities are pretty darn "liberal". Tell someone in Dallas or Houston that Austin is conservative and they'll laugh at you!

I would say that both Austin and El Paso are the two main majority liberal cities in Texas, with San Antonio being a distant third. Dallas and Houston are really only liberal in the very core parts of each city, Trust me even Dallas has plenty of very liberal people!

Remember though basing a move only on the reputation of the political leaning of a city or state might not be a good overall choice. Definitely do tons of research about a city for more than just basic politics and decide if it fits your values and liking.

Good Luck!
I believe this forum ended up very political in nature, which was not my intent. I'm not moving based on politics. A more liberal city just happens to be a plus!!

Thanks guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver