Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 03:29 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,417,618 times

Advertisements

Livability Magazine is named as number 5 of 10 as one of the Best City to Retire in 2014.

Best Places to Retire > January, 2014 | Livability

I have been saying for a long time that Wheat Ridge will be one of the best places to live in the Denver Metro area.

It it is near to the desirous area of North Denver and to Downtown with all the Amenities.

Lutheran Hospital has an extensive campus in the middle of the city and good close medical care is important in retirement.

It has one of the best trails and parks along Clear Creek with the Wheat Ridge Greenbelt.

It has good public transit.

It has many many type of eclectic housing that are fast going up in price. As North Denver neighborhoods of Berkeley and West Highlands have been redeveloped and rejuvenated, so has the contiguous suburbs Wheat Ridge and the city is becoming more desired by the public.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 07:42 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,886,734 times
Default One minor problem

Here is the problem with retiring in Wheat Ridge.

No houses for sale.
Inventory is stupidly low.

And, Buick drivers over the age of 80.

Other than that, I really like Wheat Ridge. Especially between Sheridan and Wads.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:18 PM

67 posts, read 136,599 times
Nice pic of I70! You'd think they could have found a more appealing photo.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovin2movin View Post
Nice pic of I70! You'd think they could have found a more appealing photo.
What are you talking about? I only see one picture with a girl on a bike on the Wheat Ridge Green Belt trail.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:57 PM

67 posts, read 136,599 times
I saw it from this article:

Gallery: America's best 10 places to retire - Denver Business Journal

But now they have changed it to a couple having a picnic. Originally, they had the photo of I70. At least someone fixed it!

Old 11-12-2014, 11:05 PM

194 posts, read 273,763 times
Default Thank you

And thank you for that advice! Bought in Wheat Ridge over the summer and am very happy. A few years to retire but I think I would agree it will be great at that time as well.

Clear Creek is awesome. Who knew that was there.......!?

And I'm two to three miles to a rail station that will go online in 2016. Very happy about that! I'm excited about the line to the airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Livability Magazine is named as number 5 of 10 as one of the Best City to Retire in 2014.

Best Places to Retire > January, 2014 | Livability

I have been saying for a long time that Wheat Ridge will be one of the best places to live in the Denver Metro area.

It it is near to the desirous area of North Denver and to Downtown with all the Amenities.

Lutheran Hospital has an extensive campus in the middle of the city and good close medical care is important in retirement.

It has one of the best trails and parks along Clear Creek with the Wheat Ridge Greenbelt.

It has good public transit.

It has many many type of eclectic housing that are fast going up in price. As North Denver neighborhoods of Berkeley and West Highlands have been redeveloped and rejuvenated, so has the contiguous suburbs Wheat Ridge and the city is becoming more desired by the public.

Livecontent

Old 11-13-2014, 10:47 AM

694 posts, read 1,041,414 times
Mama Sanninos restaurant and Italian Market just adjacent to the restaurant:

5800 W 38th Ave, Wheat Ridge

Great food!

Old 11-13-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
Mama Sanninos restaurant and Italian Market just adjacent to the restaurant:

5800 W 38th Ave, Wheat Ridge

Great food!
Thank You for this information. Now, that know that you grew up in NYC, your opinion matters much to me about Italian Food. I believe this restaurant was in the old Arvada plaza and was displaced with the property being redeveloped for a Walmart. I wanted to try it but everytime I went, there were lines waiting.

Wheat Ridge is home to many small independent restaurants and many Italian. North Denver was were many Italians settled. As it happens, as immigrants prosperity improves, they and subsequent generations move to the suburbs. What initially happens. they tend to move in a direct line out to the contiguous suburbs. Consequently, many ethnic Italians found a home in Wheat Ridge; so much so that the Sons of Italy Hall that was built in the 1950s is in Wheat Ridge on West 32nd. Just a little bit of knowledge for newcomers!

Livecontent

Old 11-13-2014, 12:37 PM

110 posts, read 188,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Here is the problem with retiring in Wheat Ridge.

No houses for sale.
Inventory is stupidly low.
This was what I found in my six months of home-shopping earlier this year. The couple of times that anything decent came up, it was gone that day.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:03 PM

I know many of you who are looking for housing in Wheat Ridge are looking for single family homes and there just is not the availability. However, many people in retirement are not looking necessarily for a single house but other type of housing.

Low Income seniors also retire and can find a place in Wheat Ridge. I want to point out a very new development of lower income senior housing at 44th and Wadworth. One part of the project has been completed, Wheat Ridg Town Center Apartments and a new addition of the Wheat Ridge Town Center North is soon coming.
Wheat Ridge

These are absolutely a beautiful looking apartments. The location is good for seniors as there are near essential services. Note that there are age and income eligibility qualifications.

There are also many other condos and apartments that will serve seniors well. Many of them are located very close to Lutheran Hospital on West 38th. Healthcare is very important for seniors and consequently over the years housing near a hospital are build. What is good about this location, other than the hospital, there is good public transit and shopping nearby. Seniors do not and cannot always drive and those services are essential.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver