Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 11:12 PM

40 posts, read 120,619 times

Advertisements

Hey Denverites,

After much deliberation and some false starts, my wife and I are moving to Denver in a couple weeks. We've looked at a lot of different areas and have settled on the Highlands as the place where we'd like to settle (at least initially).

We'll be living near 32nd and Vallejo, which seems to be a very nice area. I know there's a lot to walk to in terms of restaurants, but what's the grocery sitch out there? My wife made a trip out yesterday to scout places and drove by the Safeway on Federal, but it seems that's about the only grocery store close by. Can any locals offer some insight into this store? Is this where most of the Highlanders get their greens, or do you find that you generally drive somewhere else to grocery shop? If you do go elsewhere, where do you head? I'm hoping we don't have to drive 20 minutes to get to a good grocery!

Although we really like the area, I've also read there are some safety concerns - particularly burglary/break ins. Can anyone comment on this? Are there any areas we should avoid or anything else we should know?

Thanks very much for your help and any insight you can provide! Look forward to being a part of the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 11:34 PM

170 posts, read 246,292 times
I don't live in the Highlands, but I can comment on it as I have been through there quite a few times.
The other grocery store in the area is Sprouts which is at 38th and Tennyson. I like this grocery store better as it has the best produce selection and is usually quite busy.
There is also a King Soopers at 38th and Sheridan.
Any neighborhood can have the risk of car break-ins especially if you leave your car parked out on the street consistently.
The other thing I can comment on is that parking on the street, if your place doesn't have parking is a big hassle as the Highlands gets very busy because of all the restaurants and shops in the area.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:17 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Very pleasant Safeway at 44th and Lowell.
Whole Foods in Cherry Creek is 5 miles.

Be at home by 2200 and you will avoid most crimes against persons.
1/3 of all crime is theft of and theft from motor vehicles.

I do not live in Highland, but I do live at 39th and Vrain.
We love our neighborhood.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:24 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
There is a Natural Grocers very close. Google map shows it as a 4 min trip with the bus or a 9 min (half mile) walk on foot.
Natural Grocers

2375 15th St
Denver, CO 80202

I find the area safe. Parking is a pain so hope you get that with your housing.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:47 AM

459 posts, read 807,780 times
Don't live in Highlands, have some friends that do, they mostly go to that Safeway for the basics and make a few runs a year to specialty grocers further out.

In addition to what's been mentioned there's a more upscale version of King Soopers (Fresh Fare?) going in at 20th and Chestnut that will be closer to where you are in the Highlands than that Safeway on 26th and Federal. Last I heard the King Soopers was supposed to open this summer, although I am a little skeptical based on when I last walked by there a few days ago. They are building a Whole Foods a few blocks south of that King Soopers but that's not as far along and will be at the base a 13 story building instead of a 5 story building like the King Soopers, so the Whole Foods is more 2017ish.

As far as crime just avoid parking your car on the street if possible. It's the easiest target and the plurality of crime in all central Denver neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: