Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 05:53 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
"Smoke" and mirrors.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/15/us...e-of-debt.html

More of what you call smoke and mirrors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 08:31 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,612,593 times
The OP dropped a bomb and never came back. Enough said. Might be time to lock the thread.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:13 AM

473 posts, read 848,817 times
Regardless of the initial posts - it's a solid discussion and everything SkyDog77 says and cites is valid.

Grinding a poor/low income (or for that matter any) person into extreme fines that result/default into disproportionate late fees, and turn into arrest warrants, misdemeanors, and felonies; is not the way a society should function.

While I grumble and see it as an overly punitive penalty, I can sustain a $300-$500 traffic fine. I can afford to go in late to work in order to visit the court and plead it down, and take a point or two on my record for a couple years. Fortunately it's been a while, I'm on a good streak, but I make a traffic mistake so be it. It won't ruin my life.

Same can't be said for those who are REPEATEDLY TARGETED for traffic infractions, racking up fines and fees that are impossible to pay, and not only have the financial ability but also lack the TIME resources to deal with courts and paperwork because they're working three jobs. But hey - bootstraps and all.

Fortunately this issue is finally getting attention across the country - and I was going to also post the John Oliver report as well.

Traffic Court and the Poverty Trap

Old 04-15-2015, 12:09 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdenver View Post
Regardless of the initial posts - it's a solid discussion and everything SkyDog77 says and cites is valid.

Grinding a poor/low income (or for that matter any) person into extreme fines that result/default into disproportionate late fees, and turn into arrest warrants, misdemeanors, and felonies; is not the way a society should function.

While I grumble and see it as an overly punitive penalty, I can sustain a $300-$500 traffic fine. I can afford to go in late to work in order to visit the court and plead it down, and take a point or two on my record for a couple years. Fortunately it's been a while, I'm on a good streak, but I make a traffic mistake so be it. It won't ruin my life.

Same can't be said for those who are REPEATEDLY TARGETED for traffic infractions, racking up fines and fees that are impossible to pay, and not only have the financial ability but also lack the TIME resources to deal with courts and paperwork because they're working three jobs. But hey - bootstraps and all.

Fortunately this issue is finally getting attention across the country - and I was going to also post the John Oliver report as well.

Traffic Court and the Poverty Trap
i agree .. I was very glad to see the NYT pick it up today.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:57 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post
...snipped....

Public consumption and smell of weed is overblown.

16th st - duh
Ballpark, especially late - duh
Concerts and other outside events - double duh.

You might run in to it, but it's not like every day is like 4/20 day in civic center park.

Very, and I mean very rarely have I seen people lighting up in public, even in those mentioned areas. Every once in a blue moon I'll walk past someone in our area who just toked up. I don't get what the big deal is about smelling it - like you have a bag stuck over your head and you just can't escape the smell or something?

So not an issue.
Sort of dismissive of other peoples experiences and feelings.......just sayin'...lol

Old 04-15-2015, 02:09 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I love the fact this guy never came back to the only thread he created. Epic troll thread.
Watch out. I received a disciplinary point for saying the very same thing.....TOS thing or personal attack, can't remember which....

Very uneven......

Old 04-17-2015, 11:03 AM

11 posts, read 15,185 times
I had no problem with it. But I hate when I'm in traffic and I see people flicking the blunt out of their car window. Meanwhile they've got all the conservationist bumper stickers. smh

Old 04-17-2015, 11:08 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,612,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnyAppleseed View Post
I had no problem with it. But I hate when I'm in traffic and I see people flicking the blunt out of their car window. Meanwhile they've got all the conservationist bumper stickers. smh
Those and cigarette butts.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:26 AM

557 posts, read 810,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Sort of dismissive of other peoples experiences and feelings.......just sayin'...lol
You're right. Those experiences and feelings are overblown and dramaticized though, so ....

Last edited by JD401; 04-17-2015 at 12:39 PM..

Old 04-19-2015, 08:00 AM

463 posts, read 320,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
The OP dropped a bomb and never came back. Enough said. Might be time to lock the thread.
I think the OP was shocked because these replies are not at all what he expected, so he never followed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver