Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2016, 06:17 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,083,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I don't mean to sound angry, but MOST people don't want to use mass transit. They want to drive cars.
*Citation Needed*

Mass transit is great, it allows greater mobility the HUGE segment of the population who cannot afford cars... This mobility allows them to find jobs and get off the dole. Public transit is a fiscally conservative policy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 06:52 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Wait, you want highway tolls that reflect the true cost of highway maint? How about light rail fares that reflect the incredible expense these light rail trains cost? No one ever talks about that.

BTW, vehicles already pay taxes on road maint/construction when they fill their tanks. It's called a gas tax. Fortunately we don't have toll roads in and around Phoenix.

I don't mean to sound angry, but MOST people don't want to use mass transit. They want to drive cars.
So the gas tax covers all road maintenance and construction? You seem to think that because drivers pay a gasoline tax they should get to drive on the roads for free. We have to kick in additional tax/fee money to build and maintain roads.

We also have an RTD sales tax for mass transit. Because it doesn't cover all the costs for mass transit, the riders have to make up the difference at the fare box.

Why does one form get its additional costs covered while the other does not?

Old 05-09-2016, 09:02 AM

760 posts, read 883,277 times
I honestly wish they would Toll the hell out of I70. $12-15 each way on all of the lanes to the resorts on Sat and Sun mornings? Sure!

It would force people to car pool and maybe encourage some new shuttle bus options.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:24 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
I honestly wish they would Toll the hell out of I70. $12-15 each way on all of the lanes to the resorts on Sat and Sun mornings? Sure!

It would force people to car pool and maybe encourage some new shuttle bus options.
I would have no problem with that with the exception of people that live up there that have to come down here for work or vice versa.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:07 AM

760 posts, read 883,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I would have no problem with that with the exception of people that live up there that have to come down here for work or vice versa.
Well the idea would be that the toll would only impact ski traffic. Like it would only be for all lanes during 7am-10am, and 3pm-6pm Sat and Sun. During all of the other days/hour, it would remain as just the express lane. It could be even further broken down to Westbound in the mornings, and Eastbound in the evenings.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:13 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,083,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Assuming it uses the same Express Toll system as E-470 you could just have special transponders for residents with a free or reduced rate paid for by the state or municipality.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:43 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
Well the idea would be that the toll would only impact ski traffic. Like it would only be for all lanes during 7am-10am, and 3pm-6pm Sat and Sun. During all of the other days/hour, it would remain as just the express lane. It could be even further broken down to Westbound in the mornings, and Eastbound in the evenings.
If the objective is to toll ski traffic, then the most efficient method would probably be to add a transportation fee on to the cost of lift tickets.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:55 AM

459 posts, read 807,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
If the objective is to toll ski traffic, then the most efficient method would probably be to add a transportation fee on to the cost of lift tickets.
The problem is the traffic is actually worse on weekends in the summer, and in the winter people also use I70 for other recreational purposes (IE snowshoeing, snowmobiling, nordic skiing, etc). So you are still hiding costs from a lot of people. You also end up charging tourists or locals who choose to stay up there for a long weekend the same transportation fee whether they used I70 that day or not.

IMO the best solution is variable priced tolling going up and down with congestion (or projected congestion for predictability), and the tolling revenue going to maintenance on the road as well as adding person capacity through some sort of shuttle system that leases out RTD's excess bus capacity that is sitting on the sidelines on the weekends.

Unfortunately, toll roads on existing interstate lanes that were not tollways prior to the interstate system is next to impossible without an act of congress -even though new HOT lanes are not-. CDOT may be able to toll the eisenhower/johnson tunnels more easily though.

Last edited by robertgoodman; 05-09-2016 at 11:21 AM..

Old 05-09-2016, 11:22 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoodman View Post
toll roads on existing interstate lanes that were not tollways prior to the interstate system are next to impossible without an act of congress -even though new HOT lanes are not-. CDOT may be able to toll the eisenhower/johnson tunnels more easily though.
This is a good point, and in my view it should take an act of congress. These are the roads are grandparents built with a social contract that provided for the funds to build and maintain them, and now it seems many want to punish the very people that use them.

And a standby cue for "History Essay of Americas' Subsidized Suburban Freeway System" by random CD poster .......and......go cue!

Old 05-09-2016, 11:36 AM

459 posts, read 807,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
This is a good point, and in my view it should take an act of congress. These are the roads are grandparents built with a social contract that provided for the funds to build and maintain them, and now it seems many want to punish the very people that use them.

And a standby cue for "History Essay of Americas' Subsidized Suburban Freeway System" by random CD poster .......and......go cue!
Our grandparents didn't provide the funds or adequate funding mechanism to expand the interstate to meet the demand we keep inducing, and to adequately maintain the interstate system.

So that funding part of the contract is broken, the question is what's the best thing to do about it going forward. CDOT so far has opted for HOT lanes. The republicans in the legislature are currently trying to raid the general fund after unsuccessfully trying to force CDOT to pay for expansion by borrowing from future money needed for maintenance. I am not sure about you but raiding money that would otherwise go to schools, public safety, etc to further subsidize roads seems like a bigger breach of a social contract to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver