Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 01:35 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Largely true, but, tax policies tend to skew the market place and impact the dynamics of supply and demand.

The itemized deduction for mortgage interest is intent to increase home ownership with the aim of stabilizing families and communities. But IMO it prods people to buy and finance homes which creates nice profits for mortgage bankers. One of the larger lobbies in Washington is the banking lobby.

Other tax deductions for buying SFHs and putting them in the rental market ratchets up demand for tax shelters and income with parallel increases in home prices which inflates the cost of housing beyond the levels that many can afford. This is where supply and demand really play hell with us as excess dollars looking for investments chase a finite supply of housing, thus demand-based inflation in home prices. Our tax policies are messing with what should be a free market devoid of tax gimmicks.

If we took all tax considerations out of SFHs then "investors" would sell off millions of homes and prices would plummet back to more affordable levels. I might extend this to THs as well and only leave tax considerations available to true rental communities like large complexes of garden apartments. Not gonna happen, the housing rackets will continue to make home ownership ever more impossible for millions of Americans.
Yeah you can split it down to that, however CO has a higher demand than Detroit no matter what policy is in place. Its not like materials are more $$$ in CO vs GA. Whenever they talk of tax reform the interest rate write off is the 1st to go. Nobody wants to mess with that so tax policy most likely will never change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 02:25 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
Being a transplant myself I do have to ask what is up with the split rail fencing?! I also agree it's very annoying and it's all over North CoS and Monument as well.

Its cheap, its easy to put up, it creates a somewhat finished look, and the homeowner has to pay out of pocket for anything taller, denser, or more secure. Four wins for the developer, zero for the owner.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:33 PM

136 posts, read 129,733 times
As opposed to what? Chain-link fencing? No fencing? I thought it was standard...

Old 04-04-2017, 02:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZMpac View Post
As opposed to what? Chain-link fencing? No fencing? I thought it was standard...
Generally, as opposed to no fencing. It seems to be from here west that people want these "privacy" fences. You go to Omaha, and you don't see that. Nor do you see it in the suburbs of eastern cities. My dad from Pittsburgh used to say it looked like a cattle feed lot out here with those privacy fences.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:00 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,631,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZMpac View Post
Arizona does the stone fencing. Lasts much longer than split fence wood and chain link fence. When I lived in Northglenn/Thornton, had to change out the wood fencing every so often due to warping, or wood rot. Some areas with HOAs wouldn't allow any type of wood preserver, which is annoying.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:07 PM

320 posts, read 234,162 times
The growth in the Denver Metro area has negatively impacted the quality of life and is quickly becoming California, without the benefit of the ocean. Traffic congestion, rising crime, rising rents, expensive real estate & taxes, rising unemployment, homelessness epidemic, increasing car accidents and traffic deaths, rising drug epidemic. Yeah, it's all just swell. Check the statistics and it's clear the state is headed in the wrong direction in what was once a beautiful place to live. The Rocky Mountain News used to have on its front page a tagline that read "Tis a privilege to live in Colorado" and, sadly, those days are over. All the people who have moved here for marijuana have changed all that and many of the natives wish they would leave. Pronto!

Old 04-04-2017, 03:08 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Generally, as opposed to no fencing. It seems to be from here west that people want these "privacy" fences. You go to Omaha, and you don't see that. Nor do you see it in the suburbs of eastern cities. My dad from Pittsburgh used to say it looked like a cattle feed lot out here with those privacy fences.
The wooden stockade style of privacy fence reminds me of the office cubicles we had at work, aka cubicle farms.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:11 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,631,909 times
I'll be making a road trip back up to Denver late June for Comic Con and visit some friends, don't remind me of the traffic on I-25 and I-70. Don't miss any of it.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:51 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crillon View Post
The growth in the Denver Metro area has negatively impacted the quality of life and is quickly becoming California, without the benefit of the ocean. Traffic congestion, rising crime, rising rents, expensive real estate & taxes, rising unemployment, homelessness epidemic, increasing car accidents and traffic deaths, rising drug epidemic. Yeah, it's all just swell. Check the statistics and it's clear the state is headed in the wrong direction in what was once a beautiful place to live. The Rocky Mountain News used to have on its front page a tagline that read "Tis a privilege to live in Colorado" and, sadly, those days are over. All the people who have moved here for marijuana have changed all that and many of the natives wish they would leave. Pronto!
California is not the only place that has all those problems you just listed.

Also, not nearly as many people moved here for pot as you may think. That is a myth.

Thanks for contributing.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:26 PM

320 posts, read 234,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
California is not the only place that has all those problems you just listed.

Also, not nearly as many people moved here for pot as you may think. That is a myth.

Thanks for contributing.
I agree--there are plenty of places in the country that have the same problems, which is why Colorado was so very special. Seeing it deteriorate, especially in the Denver Metro area, is very sad. Those of us who love this state are heartbroken. The influx of new people has changed the state in ways that are irreversible.

It is not a myth that the population has exploded in Colorado--over 100,000 people in one year.

Here you go:
Colorado’s population jumped by 101,000 in 12 months – The Denver Post

That the legalization of recreational marijuana--the first state to do so--has no impact on the influx of new residents is naive. That's no myth. 4 out of 5 people move to Colorado for marijuana.
Here you go:

According to a new survey, 4 out of every 5 people move to Colorado for Marijuana | The Denver City Page

And, I'm very happy to contribute facts into the discussion here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver