Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:16 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Then there's always light rail as an option-- is your office convenient to one of the southeast line light rail stations?
Oh yes, lightrail! I would choose Wash Park or Platt Park and take light rail to work. You could afford something cute in a nice neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:31 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
We live near Caley and Havana (Cherry Creek Farm) and our neighborhood prices run around $300,000 to $350,000 for 3 bedroom, 2 bath home. It is in the Cherry Creek School District, which is about the best around. And your husband could be to work in less than 10 minutes.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:25 PM

4 posts, read 11,780 times
Steve, I guess I assumed people not working in downtown Denver might prefer the suburbs b/c it seems like people we've talked to, especially families, want a huge house, the "good" schools, etc. I'm aware that those homes don't appreciate as quickly, and they don't really appeal to us for several reasons. We'd like to be closer to the city for one, and the suburbs just feel too homogenous for us (we are caucasian but have two children from Ethiopia).

His office would be out near Arapahoe and Peoria, and unfortunately there's no light rail that goes out that far. (They still call it part of DTC however.)

Old 03-06-2008, 10:45 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving2denver View Post
We'd like to be closer to the city for one, and the suburbs just feel too homogenous for us (we are caucasian but have two children from Ethiopia).
Some suburbs are very homogenous, all-white, some are not. You expressed interest in Platt Park, Washington Park. I can tell you from a purely anecdotal perspective that those two areas of Denver (especially Washington Park) are VERY white and not culturally diverse at all. Sometimes the ideology of "city vs. suburb" can actually cloud people's understanding of the demographic reality. OTOH, Aurora, a suburb, is very diverse with international representation of immigrant groups from around the world-- at least in all the zipcodes of Aurora up to 80015. As a side note, a lot of what Denverites call "the city" is not even very city-like. Washington Park and Platt Park areas are beautiful neighborhoods, but they are essentially old early 20th century suburbs, not a true "urban" experience. To get the real "urban," "city" experience, you'd have to live in Capitol Hill.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:50 AM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving2denver View Post

His office would be out near Arapahoe and Peoria, and unfortunately there's no light rail that goes out that far. (They still call it part of DTC however.)
There is a light rail stop at Arap & I-25 and a short bus/shuttle ride to Peoria (check out the Call-n-ride)

Old 03-07-2008, 08:32 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Honestly, to get what you are looking for you're going to have to commute or take light rail. The areas around DTC are suburban. Some are very cookie cutter (the farm at cherry creek) and some are a little older with lots of trees and not so cookie cutter (Southmoor) but none have the historic charm that you are asking about. They are nice areas but they are not what you have asked for.
Old Littleton, Old Englewood, Rosedale, Wash Park, Harvard Gulch, Platt Park, Observatory Park sound most like what you'd like and would be your closest options.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:56 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Arapahoe Rd & Peoria? I know that area very well. There's a brand new subdivision right AT Arapahoe & Peoria (the Village at Centennial, by Berkeley Homes, I believe-- and it's a very nice one), and several other ones right nearby, where you could practically walk to work! If you lived in that area, you'd be on the south end of Cherry Creek State Park, where you could walk or bicycle from your front doorstep, with tons of trails to explore. Just something to keep in mind...

Old 03-07-2008, 09:33 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
There's also an old established neighborhood of large lots on the north side of Arapahoe just west of Parker Road. Can't remember the name, but it feels like you are out in the country. There's a private golf course there, too, which adds to the ambiance.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:43 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
In my opinion, the best you could do considering your requirements is within zip 80113. Look in Englewood, east of Broadway and north of Hampden (US 285). The commute isn't terrible (I get to do it twice in the morning) I go back and forth from Centennial Airport to Santa Fe/Hampden and it takes about 20-25 minutes including traffic, but excluding unplowed snow (pretty uncommon). You could also look a little further north into Denver (near DU), but unfortunately those are the closest neighborhoods you'll find with "old world charm". The area near Arapahoe/Peoria is very cookie cutter and congested most of the day.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:00 PM

739 posts, read 2,949,169 times
I think you can get into parts of Southmoor for in the 400s but just make sure it is Southmoor elementary- there is a dividing line in there somewhere.

PLENTY of people live in Denver proper- and like you said, you likely can't afford Wash Park and now Platte park at 400K. Southmoor or even Bible Park area may be a better bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver