Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 01:35 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,820,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
If you could expand on what your personality type is, that would be helpful.
Very sarcastic, blunt, witty - generally too much for the laid back bro culture out here.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:39 PM

760 posts, read 888,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Very sarcastic, blunt, witty - generally too much for the laid back bro culture out here.
This is me as well. While I did get some looks in places like Minneapolis, I actually have gotten praise in Denver. People have told me I was a "breath of fresh air" and reality

Old 07-26-2017, 01:52 PM

587 posts, read 568,085 times
Quote:
That personality is definitely not too much.....sarcastic, blunt, and witty is how Kyle Clark has gotten his own news program on 9News.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:05 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,828,345 times
I hear the OP, here. I will be relocating to Denver in a matter of weeks, now and am also coming from a combination of (1) divorce and (2) no particular place to go. Denver feels like it has all the parts I need for a new start in, as Bob Seger put it, "the back half of my life."

But I've had a lot of discussions about isolation, both in general and among those getting older. There's something slightly broken or mis-tuned in US society these days that leaves a lot of people unnecessarily disconnected and alone.

Hoping to be able to overcome that barrier, and wishing the best to the OP in that respect as well.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:28 PM

34,366 posts, read 18,748,613 times
Quote:
Well, being an original east coaster, I am used to that, but yeah, some may be put off. However, there are so many transplants from the coasts on the Front Range, you may want to associate with them as they are more used to sarcastic wit.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:19 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,786,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyupgrl View Post
What have you tried doing to make friends? What do you do for fun?

I've found people in CO much friendlier than where we moved from (granted, I live in a more suburban type of area).
There ya go! Better way to scope out potential friends than saying what you did NOT come to CO for.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Well, being an original east coaster, I am used to that, but yeah, some may be put off. However, there are so many transplants from the coasts on the Front Range, you may want to associate with them as they are more used to sarcastic wit.
Guy to guy perspective it's rarely a problem. Dating wise it can ruffle some feathers. They should offer me channel 9 news slot! Haha

Old 07-26-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I hear the OP, here. I will be relocating to Denver in a matter of weeks, now and am also coming from a combination of (1) divorce and (2) no particular place to go. Denver feels like it has all the parts I need for a new start in, as Bob Seger put it, "the back half of my life."

But I've had a lot of discussions about isolation, both in general and among those getting older. There's something slightly broken or mis-tuned in US society these days that leaves a lot of people unnecessarily disconnected and alone.

Hoping to be able to overcome that barrier, and wishing the best to the OP in that respect as well.
When my parents got divorced, they made the mistake of never leaving NJ which I think could have been good for at least my Dad. If push came to shove he would have definitely moved here though - not a Florida type at all

Old 07-26-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
This is me as well. While I did get some looks in places like Minneapolis, I actually have gotten praise in Denver. People have told me I was a "breath of fresh air" and reality
Probably a breath of fresh air to Minnesota as well

Old 07-26-2017, 07:52 PM

31 posts, read 65,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
There ya go! Better way to scope out potential friends than saying what you did NOT come to CO for.
I didn't mean to come off like CO was the last place I would have chosen. It's just that when I talk to people about my feelings on this subject they often suggest that I must have had some sort of fantasy version of what CO would be like, and I was just trying to convey that I really had no expectations either way (other than I knew it would be very different). I've read many posts on C-D where the OP seemed to have idealized life in the mountains prior to moving, and while I can totally understand the pull for those who love the various outdoor activities popular here, unfortunately, I'm just not an adventurer like that. My interests have mainly been music related. There seems to be a very homogenous, hive mind around outdoor play here, and if you don't enjoy spending your time mountain biking, hiking, skiing, etc. it's considered a great affront to CO culture. Whereas, back home, we are allowed to like and dislike activities based on our personality, not our specific geography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver