Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 12:55 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
So just say it's named after the feckless former State Treasurer and failed gubernatorial candidate and not his KKK-courting great-grandpa.

Better yet, rename it for Jean Stapleton. Oh wait, she played Archie Bunker's wife. How about Maureen Stapleton? Get her "Cocoon" husband Wilford Brimley to do a ribbon-cutting for the re-branding.
Actually, the feckless failed candidate supports the name change.

https://twitter.com/WalkerStapleton/...86882983002112

As do the vast majority of my neighbors here in Stapleton. The vote they had before was poorly organized and exclusionary as only homeowners were allowed to vote, not all residents. And turn out was quite low, so it's difficult to argue that vote truly reflected the will of the community.

I'm personally thrilled with this. My son and his schoolmates took the lead by changing the name of their school last year, now the rest of the community can keep up with the next generation who are our future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 12:57 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Uh-oh. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_W._Denver

Better start thinking of new names now for our City.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:58 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,706,635 times
I thought it was named after an airport.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:59 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,202,036 times
So the residents keep voting to keep it the same, but everyone else doesn't want to be reminded of a largely forgotten figure who was racist.

I didn't realize Colorado had an HOA.

Old 06-15-2020, 01:11 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,379,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
There was a neighborhood in Denver called swastika acres in Denver. Cherry Creek approved its name change to Old Cherry Creek last year.

I think DC would change its name to Columbia if it ever got the chance to be a state.
I think it is a pretty sure bet that whoever came up with the name Swastika Acres wasn't a post Hitler real estate agent lol
There are three roads near Circleville, Ohio...Hitler Road Number 1, Hitler Road Number 2, and Huber-Hitler Road..named for Hitlers who immigrated to America in the 1700s and eventually made their way to the Circleville area where they became a very prominent local family, with much of that prominance rooted in agriculture. At least one member of the family became an executive with Akron, Ohio-based Firestone Tire & Rubber. The company president asked him to change his name but he refused.
There is also a Martha Hitler Park and there once was a Hitler school in the area (it closed in 1920)
Imagine what living on one of those roads and giving your address must have been like during WW2. Especially if you were trying to sell your house!

Last edited by robertbrianbush; 06-15-2020 at 01:34 PM..

Old 06-15-2020, 01:13 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,897,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Actually, the feckless failed candidate supports the name change.

https://twitter.com/WalkerStapleton/...86882983002112

As do the vast majority of my neighbors here in Stapleton. The vote they had before was poorly organized and exclusionary as only homeowners were allowed to vote, not all residents. And turn out was quite low, so it's difficult to argue that vote truly reflected the will of the community.

I'm personally thrilled with this. My son and his schoolmates took the lead by changing the name of their school last year, now the rest of the community can keep up with the next generation who are our future.
I think his tweet was kind of wishy-washy toward it. It was more like "if you must..." His wife was less diplomatic.

Honestly, changing the name doesn't affect me one iota so I really couldn't care less. I just wonder where this push stops.

I have no problem tearing down monuments and renaming buildings designed to glorify a bunch of traitorous Confederate losers who fought on the wrong side of history against this country. Let references to those racist troglodytes be limited to museums and textbooks.

How far are we gonna go, though? Are we going to rename everything that could possibly be named after someone who did something ignominious in their life? Where do we draw the line?

Old 06-15-2020, 01:22 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,579,521 times
So many slippery slope fallacies happen when discussing these sorts of things. Just rename things on an ad hoc basis, and both sides can stop grandstanding on overgeneralized principles. If the residents of Stapleton would rather rename their neighborhood, I'll call it by its new name. If someone needs a neighborhood name to remember a mayor who only gained power by appealing to one of the most destructive organizations in our nation's history, then that sounds more like their problem than anyone else's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Uh-oh. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_W._Denver

Better start thinking of new names now for our City.
I'm not seeing where he was on the losing side of the war, but go ahead and start the campaign if you feel that strongly about it. See if it gains steam like this current proposal for Stapleton.

Old 06-15-2020, 01:24 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I think his tweet was kind of wishy-washy toward it. It was more like "if you must..." His wife was less diplomatic.

Honestly, changing the name doesn't affect me one iota so I really couldn't care less. I just wonder where this push stops.

I have no problem tearing down monuments and renaming buildings designed to glorify a bunch of traitorous Confederate losers who fought on the wrong side of history against this country. Let references to those racist troglodytes be limited to museums and textbooks.

How far are we gonna go, though? Are we going to rename everything that could possibly be named after someone who did something ignominious in their life? Where do we draw the line?
Walker Stapleton tweeted again today, and I actually agree with him on this.

https://twitter.com/WalkerStapleton/...10963506438144

People are complicated, and even the best among us aren't perfect. So perhaps the convention of naming places after people has run its course and it would be best to not do that at all, at least not going forward.

And at least in this particular instance, there were people asking for a different name to be used back when the redevelopment was first being planned. It should have been done then.

I will be advocating for one of the names under discussion that reflects this area's aeronautical history without being tied to any specific individual.

Old 06-15-2020, 01:37 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,202,036 times
Quote:
So perhaps the convention of naming places after people has run its course and it would be best to not do that at all, at least not going forward.
Glad you qualified that. I'd hate to gaze out at Big Pointy Mountains I - XXXIV.

Old 06-15-2020, 03:44 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,301,353 times
Quote:
I will be advocating for one of the names under discussion that reflects this area's aeronautical history without being tied to any specific individual.
How about taking the lead from the greedy professional sports industry and selling rights for a name. For example - Sports Authority Neighbourhood at The Olde Airporte?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver