Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 04:16 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,301,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
No one is "rewriting history." We're moving forward and letting go of negativity. I 100% support this.
Since Washington and "C" were bad people (abusing slaves and natives), would you support our capital being renamed? Maybe Lincoln, District of Vespucci?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 04:18 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,281,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Since Washington and "C" were bad people (abusing slaves and natives), would you support our capital being renamed? Maybe Lincoln, District of Vespucci?
Typical response from people who only see in two shades. "If we rename X, we have to rename EVERYTHING ELSE or it make no sense to me!"

Old 06-18-2020, 04:47 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,579,521 times
Quote:
I'd say the naming of places should be up to the locale itself. Maybe you could move there and start the campaign to prove your slippery slope fallacy.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:40 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
No one is "rewriting history." We're moving forward and letting go of negativity. I 100% support this.
Yep, history exists. What we choose to commemorate from history changes with regularity
Attached Thumbnails
Stapleton name change - here we go again-statue.jpg  

Old 06-18-2020, 10:53 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,707,996 times
Quote:
I’d definitely support a name change. But since that’s not on the table at the moment, I’m more concerned with what is being changed. And I think it’s a great thing that the people of Stapleton don’t want their neighborhood named after a garbage person. Why some people want to hold on to horrible figures in history (That of which isn’t even fully taught accurately in our schools anyway) so much is beyond me.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:17 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,525,326 times
Changing the name of something does not rewrite history or set a dangerous precedent, imho. It actually acknowledges history, and says, 'hey, maybe some things in history weren't so great and there are other things that are more deserving of the honor than this.' We don't go around naming places "Hitler" for a reason. And yet, we still know about Hitler - he wasn't 'erased' by not having things named after him. If people want to rename something to some name they find more appropriate or honorable, I have no problem with that.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:32 AM

124 posts, read 103,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Changing the name of something does not rewrite history or set a dangerous precedent, imho. It actually acknowledges history, and says, 'hey, maybe some things in history weren't so great and there are other things that are more deserving of the honor than this.' We don't go around naming places "Hitler" for a reason. And yet, we still know about Hitler - he wasn't 'erased' by not having things named after him. If people want to rename something to some name they find more appropriate or honorable, I have no problem with that.
This is common sense perfectly summarized, and illustrated by emm74's visual.

We should never refrain from holistically teaching about history, especially the darkest areas. That's how we learn from past injustices and evolve. But why celebrate the culprits?

Old 06-19-2020, 11:57 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,202,036 times
We could name it Stalingrad, and then someday...

Old 06-26-2020, 07:42 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
So many slippery slope fallacies happen when discussing these sorts of things. Just rename things on an ad hoc basis, and both sides can stop grandstanding on overgeneralized principles. If the residents of Stapleton would rather rename their neighborhood, I'll call it by its new name. If someone needs a neighborhood name to remember a mayor who only gained power by appealing to one of the most destructive organizations in our nation's history, then that sounds more like their problem than anyone else's.

I'm not seeing where he was on the losing side of the war, but go ahead and start the campaign if you feel that strongly about it. See if it gains steam like this current proposal for Stapleton.

Looks like there is a petition to change the name of Mount Evans. Slippery slope indeed. https://kdvr.com/news/local/petition...reek-massacre/

Old 06-26-2020, 07:55 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,579,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Looks like there is a petition to change the name of Mount Evans. Slippery slope indeed. https://kdvr.com/news/local/petition...reek-massacre/
We'll see if it gains traction. This came up a couple years ago. Until they come up with a replacement name, I doubt it goes anywhere. This is the “ad hoc basis” I was talking about.

Last edited by Westerner92; 06-26-2020 at 08:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver