Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 07:46 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I shopped at Monkey Wards all the time, and I watched them implode it. That was a sad day. South Broadway, never looked the same after. It was a great store to shop at. They had everything there.
My mother worked there in the '50s.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 08:03 AM

862 posts, read 1,196,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan.eastburn View Post
Great pics !!

Do have a question though. I did notice both a billboard for KLZ as well as the KHOW building. At the time of these pics what kind of format did those stations have and for that matter KOA ?? I would imagine KLZ, KOA and KHOW weren't top 40 since from what I understand KIMN pretty much had that audience.

OK another question, yeah kinda silly but still curious ....Did any of the Denver local television stations ever used the "Eyewitness News" brand ?? Back in the 80's when my family had taken a cross country road trip every city we had visited had one local TV channel doing Eyewitness News..every city except Denver.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 6,551 times
I believe HSalt Fish & Chips was on Logan or Pearl & Colfax. Again, best fish & chips I've ever had in Denver.

A close second is the current GB Fish & Chips on South Broadway. I forgot how much Denver has changed over the years. They really rolled up the streets in downtown after 7:00 PM back then. And Geez, Louise, even though a lot of the pictures are winter time - - how stark and old the city looks!

Evan - again, much thanks for a fantastic stroll down memory lane. If you really want to enjoy these slides - - view them "full screen" via You Tube. Incredible.

The picture of Charlie Brown's brings back very fond memories. If you look to the left - - that is the Hampshire House Hotel. Behind it is the Denver House Apartments on Logan where I lived with family when I first came to Denver.

I was a bellman at the Hampshire House Hotel while I was going to college. They had Barry Fey connections. Many of the popular bands that toured through Denver stayed there. I carried up the guitars for Lynard Skynard (met Ronnie Van Zant) as well as the Allman Brothers Band (backstage passes to their concert at Mile High Stadium and a couple of cases of beer from there manager at the time, Scooter Herring. (Really nice person.) Thx again.

Last edited by Crusin16th; 08-29-2015 at 09:00 AM..

Old 08-30-2015, 09:23 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,026,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
Great pics !!

Do have a question though. I did notice both a billboard for KLZ as well as the KHOW building. At the time of these pics what kind of format did those stations have and for that matter KOA ?? I would imagine KLZ, KOA and KHOW weren't top 40 since from what I understand KIMN pretty much had that audience.
They were generally all top 40 with some news and talk, but formats and programing were always changing. In the late 70s KLZ became country. KOA was mostly news and talk. I don't really remember what type of music they played.

DENVER RADIO: 80 Years of Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
OK another question, yeah kinda silly but still curious ....Did any of the Denver local television stations ever used the "Eyewitness News" brand ?? Back in the 80's when my family had taken a cross country road trip every city we had visited had one local TV channel doing Eyewitness News..every city except Denver.
I don't recall an Eyewitness News in Denver in the 1970s. It was Region 2 News, News Watch 4, The News (7), and 9 News. I think that Channel 9 might have also used Action News at some point, or at least they used the word action a lot with their news casts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_rpgRWinE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_n3bgpveos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnLXN3YDbaw

Old 08-30-2015, 01:52 PM

3 posts, read 15,315 times
I'm 73 now but remember Denver back in the early 60's. Met and married my wife there in 1963. I was young and in the Air Force.

I remember many lounges on E Colfax. Hangar Bar, Blue Onion Lounge, Friday's & Saturday's, Zanzabar, Zephyr, Four Seasons. One other I cannot remember the name (between the Z-Bar and Yosemite St). Also, on Yosemite St, the Happy Cat Lounge. The Harmony Bar on Dayton St. How about the Plainsman on E 6th Ave? Or the Baby Doll on Havana? Being a redneck from Kentucky I remember my first mexican food experience on E Colfax at about Tamarac, a place called La Bonita. Later got know the owner there, Phil Marin. He had a combo that played music there. Wonder what ever happened to the restaurant or Phil.

I also play a little golf and remember JFK, Overland Park, Willis Case, Fitzsimmons, City Park on York St. and Welshire. They one on Lowry had not been built when I left there.

I plan bucket list tour in the summer of 2016. Anyone have any idea about any of the places I've mentioned?

Oh Happy Days ! ! ! !

Old 09-01-2015, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,155 times
Great posts! A few Denver memories;
Mom shopping at Eakers for clothes
Choco-Stix at Owl Drugs
Schwinn Stingray bikes and getting licences plates at the Denver Fire Dept.
Mexican restaurant at Villia Italia - Chico's
Moms Hill on Green Mountain
Kids size Denver Broncos football uniforms (mine was #44)
Old veteran without legs outside Montgomery Wards on Broadway selling pencils
Blind Fuller Brush door to door salesman with seeing eye dog.

Just a few memories to share..love the posts!

Old 09-01-2015, 04:30 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,626 times
Default ......"The Denver Dry"............

......IIRC it was in October of 1966 that my wife and I were shopping in Denver (we had moved from Illinois to CO the previous year), and she wanted to stop at "The Denver Dry" (department store) while we were down-town.

She was "doing-her-thing" on the first floor and I went upstairs to see what was up there.
>>>>>BINGO...Praise Be The Lord.........A GUN DEPARTMENT!!

I fell in love with:....A Remington Model 660 in 6mm Remington, 20" barrel and NITB for $179. IIRC.

Some days,..."every thing just seems to go-right!!

Old 09-02-2015, 08:04 AM

18,212 posts, read 25,848,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
My mother worked there in the '50s.

Until Cinderella City Mall was built and opened for business in the Spring of 1968, the Montgomery Wards Broadway store was THE place to shop for south Denver residents, as well as Englewood and Littleton residents as well. I only went in there maybe once a month or so, but bought a lot of things for reasonable prices. The third floor of that building was "the Bargain room", heh, got a lot of bargains THERE! They would sell cut out albums for four for a dollar and every time they would get a new shipment in I would be down there in a flash, probably bought 300 albums there, all told.

Wards also had an auto service center across the street from the big building, got tires there a few times.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:13 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,026,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Until Cinderella City Mall was built and opened for business in the Spring of 1968, the Montgomery Wards Broadway store was THE place to shop for south Denver residents, as well as Englewood and Littleton residents as well. I only went in there maybe once a month or so, but bought a lot of things for reasonable prices. The third floor of that building was "the Bargain room", heh, got a lot of bargains THERE! They would sell cut out albums for four for a dollar and every time they would get a new shipment in I would be down there in a flash, probably bought 300 albums there, all told.
When I shopped there in the late 70s the bargain room prices were $1 an album. That wouldn't have been so bad, they advertised all kinds of great titles, but when I got there they had nothing but disco records. Stacks and stacks of thousands of disco records. Why they thought they could get a dollar an album for those, I have no idea. They couldn't have paid people to take that stuff.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:50 PM

18,212 posts, read 25,848,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
When I shopped there in the late 70s the bargain room prices were $1 an album. That wouldn't have been so bad, they advertised all kinds of great titles, but when I got there they had nothing but disco records. Stacks and stacks of thousands of disco records. Why they thought they could get a dollar an album for those, I have no idea. They couldn't have paid people to take that stuff.
I do remember THAT as well Kaaboom! I probably should have mentioned that when I bought those lp's we're talking 1969 to 1972 or so. Back then no Record Revival, Wax Trax, Jerry's, Recycle Records, or the other used record stores during that time. Remember, the Budget Tapes and Records franchise started around 1970. Then Peaches came along in the Spring of '75, along with the Big Apple stores. But seriously, Monkey Wards went down to 4 for a buck at one time and you could also do well at the new discount stores that opened up in the early 70's--Woolco, Arlan's, Woolworths. Ah, great days for a 20 year old guy to start hardcore collecting!

I hear ya on the disco!

The very BEST place to find those type lp's (and cutout 45's as well?) Without a doubt--the Woolworth's major store downtown by the Denver Theater!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver