Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 04:47 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,717 times

Advertisements

So....if they have say, 3000 dollars..they match it? Is there a limit or minimum?? It IS hard because they all need to do it at the same time or someone won't get their bucks out of a remodeled property next to, well, slum property.

I agree with you...there must be an answer!! There has to be one where it is win win ( not just for the wealthy) but, the residents.
I am afraid it will be like my Northwest neighborhood where I grew up ( now called Berkeley,..I just found out) I lived on 45th and Utica. Imagine my surprise to find out how much that area is going for?!SHEESH!!
I did that google block thing (looks like you are standing right there and, my house is the only one on the whole block that was torn down and replaced with a new 2 story!!! Looks totally out of place!! I googled all around the area, looked at old homes I owned...pretty weird!!
I cannot believe NW Denver is worth that much...seriously!!!!

I live in Canon City on 2 acres, my own tennis court, 3 fireplaces ,....big huge home and, I couldn't pay for the driveway in Denver!!
It's soooo not right!!
It seems to me that when some are priced out of their neighborhood (for whatever reason) they move to another place , then that place ( all of the sudden) is worthless too!
I moved to Southeast Aurora back in the late 80's, early 90's. I raised my oldest there, right by Smoky Hill High School. Worked for Cherry Creek Schools and now, I find out, it's not so desirable!! WHAT???
My taxes were HIGH and, families were lying about their adresses to get their children into the district.
What happened? How did it happen??

Seems the only places that keep going up up up are the ski resorts ( Vail, Aspen, Breckinridge, etc.) Unfortunately, gas prices will keep it for the rich once again!! Although I do like these areas!
Sorry this is soo long winded!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 07:35 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,415,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
So....if they have say, 3000 dollars..they match it? Is there a limit or minimum?? It IS hard because they all need to do it at the same time or someone won't get their bucks out of a remodeled property next to, well, slum property.

I agree with you...there must be an answer!! There has to be one where it is win win ( not just for the wealthy) but, the residents.
I am afraid it will be like my Northwest neighborhood where I grew up ( now called Berkeley,..I just found out) I lived on 45th and Utica. Imagine my surprise to find out how much that area is going for?!SHEESH!!
I did that google block thing (looks like you are standing right there and, my house is the only one on the whole block that was torn down and replaced with a new 2 story!!! Looks totally out of place!! I googled all around the area, looked at old homes I owned...pretty weird!!
I cannot believe NW Denver is worth that much...seriously!!!!

I live in Canon City on 2 acres, my own tennis court, 3 fireplaces ,....big huge home and, I couldn't pay for the driveway in Denver!!
It's soooo not right!!
It seems to me that when some are priced out of their neighborhood (for whatever reason) they move to another place , then that place ( all of the sudden) is worthless too!
I moved to Southeast Aurora back in the late 80's, early 90's. I raised my oldest there, right by Smoky Hill High School. Worked for Cherry Creek Schools and now, I find out, it's not so desirable!! WHAT???
My taxes were HIGH and, families were lying about their adresses to get their children into the district.
What happened? How did it happen??

Seems the only places that keep going up up up are the ski resorts ( Vail, Aspen, Breckinridge, etc.) Unfortunately, gas prices will keep it for the rich once again!! Although I do like these areas!
Sorry this is soo long winded!!
demand drives up the price. I hate it when a home is scraped to put in a more modern structure (remember, this is a statement coming from an Architectural Designer that makes his money on new construction and remodels) We have had a few projects that were built in an older area of Boulder, Thank God the client decided on making sure the house matched in terms of style in the sub-division.

Get ready for these types of prices to rise above what they are now with some predicting that more are going to move out of hate suburbs and back into Denver. It will cause prices to reach astronomical heights.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:48 PM

So ridicoulos I say. But then,..this is how so many make their fortune, isn't it? It's very hard to begrudge anyone making a dollar, regardless HOW they do it. If I had Millions,.....I often think how I would keep myself rolling in the dough, so to speak. I mean,.....what would be my priority? I would love to think I would take all of the things we talk about into consideration but, how Long would I be rich?
Would I want to keep going on to make sure my family would be continuing on with the $$$'s or,.... would I make sure that history would ultimitely be my final goal?? I'm not sure. I DO love my children and, want a bright future for them too. After all, you CAN'T take it with you, right??

Do I wish my Mom and Dad would have held on to the property in NW Denver so as to keep the neighborhood in it's glory? NO,....it's gone ( the home I grew up in). WHY?? I don't have that answer but, I'm glad they didn't make Tons of $$$$$ just for MY sake. I'm glad they were happy letting go and moving on ( regardless of how much I or my children would gain).

Still, all and all..... things and neighborhoods change ( regardless of their history or signifigance). Sad but true. I am probably one of the few that think Elitches should have stayed where it was. After all....that's where I grew up, MY memories, My legacy. It was beautiful to ME. Not so much to the future residents!

I have the very first home in Canon City ( Eastridge Lane). It has been added onto. I had the great grandson visit a few years ago. I did not buy it for it's historical value ( how embarrassing to admit to) but....I understand how very important it's history is.
I live in the first part of Canon called.." snob hill". I assure you I AM NOT A SNOB!! I bought it because ..well...I could. I loved and..love it.

I don't care how much it increases in value ( I want to live my life out here). Do others care? Probably. IF, it increases sooo much to where I would stand to make a few million then,...yeah...I'd sell. Then I would be soo envious of the new owners because, it's MY home.
So, I understand how some feel when their " neighborhood is redone and they can no longer afford to be there. Why?? Because someone thought it is worth more than They can afford and, they can make $$$$.

It's a tangled web, it is. I see yours and Jazz's and everyone elses viewpoints,.....really I do. Our hearts can be split.
It's probably the only " viewpoint" that I think We are ALL correct....instead of ONLY mine being right. TRUE!!

Old 07-01-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
So ridicoulos I say. But then,..this is how so many make their fortune, isn't it? It's very hard to begrudge anyone making a dollar, regardless HOW they do it. If I had Millions,.....I often think how I would keep myself rolling in the dough, so to speak. I mean,.....what would be my priority? I would love to think I would take all of the things we talk about into consideration but, how Long would I be rich?
Would I want to keep going on to make sure my family would be continuing on with the $$$'s or,.... would I make sure that history would ultimitely be my final goal?? I'm not sure. I DO love my children and, want a bright future for them too. After all, you CAN'T take it with you, right??

Do I wish my Mom and Dad would have held on to the property in NW Denver so as to keep the neighborhood in it's glory? NO,....it's gone ( the home I grew up in). WHY?? I don't have that answer but, I'm glad they didn't make Tons of $$$$$ just for MY sake. I'm glad they were happy letting go and moving on ( regardless of how much I or my children would gain).

Still, all and all..... things and neighborhoods change ( regardless of their history or signifigance). Sad but true. I am probably one of the few that think Elitches should have stayed where it was. After all....that's where I grew up, MY memories, My legacy. It was beautiful to ME. Not so much to the future residents!

I have the very first home in Canon City ( Eastridge Lane). It has been added onto. I had the great grandson visit a few years ago. I did not buy it for it's historical value ( how embarrassing to admit to) but....I understand how very important it's history is.
I live in the first part of Canon called.." snob hill". I assure you I AM NOT A SNOB!! I bought it because ..well...I could. I loved and..love it.

I don't care how much it increases in value ( I want to live my life out here). Do others care? Probably. IF, it increases sooo much to where I would stand to make a few million then,...yeah...I'd sell. Then I would be soo envious of the new owners because, it's MY home.
So, I understand how some feel when their " neighborhood is redone and they can no longer afford to be there. Why?? Because someone thought it is worth more than They can afford and, they can make $$$$.

It's a tangled web, it is. I see yours and Jazz's and everyone elses viewpoints,.....really I do. Our hearts can be split.
It's probably the only " viewpoint" that I think We are ALL correct....instead of ONLY mine being right. TRUE!!
My viewpoint does differ from Jazz pretty drastically lol. It is defiantly a damned if you do and a damned if you dont situation. I would LOVE to save all of the houses that would be the best situation, unfortunately it cannot be reality. Future generations do however need to see and learn from our history, and if we do mow it all down in the name of progression, then there is no way to look back and see where we have come from. I am of the opinion to leave what is historical stand, there is plenty of open land that is around to develop instead of ripping out history (this is where Jazz and me differ, he wants growth to stop, I want it to continue) The re gentrification of 5-points will defiantly help some lower income members that still live there, if they are able to hold out for property values to increase, they stand a chance to make some good money out of it, and help the future generations of the family. I do know that the entirety of Curtice park is protected by the national historic society as a historic District. I believe that a good majority of 5-points is protected as well, I need to do some more research on that one.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:15 PM

We are of the same viepoint Noahma. I wish we could figure it ALL out!!

Old 07-01-2008, 11:27 PM

here is some information regarding the rules and regulations as well as the perks for putting your house on the historic registry.

Obtain official recognition that your building has special historical, architectural, or geographical significance and is an important part of Denver's history.

Obtain architectural advice and ideas through the design review process of the Denver Landmark Preservation Commission.

Possibly increase the value of your home and neighborhood.
Contribute to protecting your building's character in the future.

Qualify for a Colorado Historic Preservation Income Tax Credit of 20%, which can be carried forward five years, of qualified costs up to a maximum credit of $50,000 per qualified property if the preservation or rehabilitation costs $5,000 or more.
Be eligible to compete for funding from the State Historical Fund.
Obtain relief from building codes.

Be eligible for the Downtown Revolving Loan Fund if y you have a Landmark in the downtown B-5 zone district.

Be eligible for transfer development rights (TDRs) allowing transfer of the unused portion of the allowable floor area ratio to another site within the same zone district if the property is located in the downtown B-5 zone, Lower Downtown B-7, and B-8G zone districts.

Be eligible for expanded uses, such as for an office, art gallery and bed and breakfast, if the property is located in an R-3 residential zone district.
Be eligible to donate a facade easement.

Historic Preservation in Denver, Colorado (broken link)

. Architecture: Does it have design quality and integrity, and

Does it embody distinguishing characteristics for an architectural style or type? or
Is it a significant example of the work of a recognized architect or master builder? or
Does it contain elements of architectural design, engineering, materials, craftsmanship, or artistic merit which represents a significant or influential innovation? or
Does it portray the environment of a group of people or physical development of an area in an era of history characterized by a distinctive architectural style?
3. Geography

Does it have a prominent location or is it an established, familiar, and orienting visual feature of the contemporary city? or
Does it promote understanding and appreciation of the urban environment by means of distinctive physical characteristic or rarity? or
Does it make a special contribution to Denver's distinctive character?

5-points seems to fit exactly into the criteria for getting historical protected status.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:03 AM

17 posts, read 68,583 times
Denver aztec...all i got to say is wow...i moved to phoenix three years ago. Do you know where i live? South phoenix...its not as bad as your describing it. Denver is worse. I grew up in the westwood projects, and now live in lindo park. Iv been in town all summer and am going back in 2 weeks. Ive drove into every neighborhood in denver while ive been here and you're going to tell me that the eastside aka five points is not that bad? You need to get your facts straight, drive down downing and watch the tre tre crips drug deawl all day...alllll day....ive seen four fights in a couple of hours while i was there. Phoenix has no ugly ugly areas like westwood, eastside, all south federal, even east colfax is gritty..not bad..but gritty.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:45 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Born View Post
Denver aztec...all i got to say is wow...i moved to phoenix three years ago. Do you know where i live? South phoenix...its not as bad as your describing it. Denver is worse. I grew up in the westwood projects, and now live in lindo park. Iv been in town all summer and am going back in 2 weeks. Ive drove into every neighborhood in denver while ive been here and you're going to tell me that the eastside aka five points is not that bad? You need to get your facts straight, drive down downing and watch the tre tre crips drug deawl all day...alllll day....ive seen four fights in a couple of hours while i was there. Phoenix has no ugly ugly areas like westwood, eastside, all south federal, even east colfax is gritty..not bad..but gritty.
South Phoenix is a huge area and much of it is being revitalized, however, the threads from Phoenicians and statistical information agree with me. I will be more specific in the future and say "South Mountain" or "off the I-10" instead of just south Phoenix. You do live in a better part of it, though. Westwood is Denver's worst area, and I never said it was not. I have always said Five Points/Curtis Park is an area in transition and never said it was safe. Phoenix does have ugly areas, just look off the I-10 and you will see shantis built, folks live in tough sheds or worse. I would take photos of them but I would probably get shot at. Same goes for areas of Westwood with the picture taking, but not much shanti living going on here, folks would freeze.

We had to move our Phoenix office out of the Metro Center area because 3/4 of our employees (over 300 in that office alone) had their cars broken into or stolen, and I don't consider the resident of that area scandalous. It was the traffic that the mall attracted. Part of Van Buren are 10 times worse then South Federal. South Mountain is similar to Broad Street in Philly. Maricopa County has the highest auto theft in the country. Denver has it's issues, but go to the Phoenix thread and type in south Phoenix and see what your fellow bloggers say:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...cific-map.html

Phoenix Crime Statistics *Specific and by map*
I ran across this website with very up to date information about crime in the city of Phoenix, which reaches all the way to Scottsdale...although I doubt you'll hear many people living that far east admitting that they live in Phoenix, and not Scottsdale .
You can search by a variety of options...whole city areas using the "Police Beat" option or you can get very specific (down to a 1/2 sq mile area) using the "Grid" option, which by the way shows the safest area of downtown is the NE section north of Van Buren, south of Roosevelt, and east of Central to 7th St. There were a total of 169 crimes there in 2007 vs 319 in the area south of Van Buren to the R.R. tracks and west of Central to 7th Ave.

CRIME STATISTICS

What I found very interesting about the maps is that areas that are generally thought of as "rough" and as "nice", seem to be equal in crime at time, and at other times the "nicer" areas having more crimes, but maybe of different nature. The areas are not all similar in size, but I assume that density wise (number of people living per sq. mile) is close therefore making the results accurate vs each other.

Without looking at the numbers, what would you expect the worst crime area of Phoenix to be? Personally, I guessed Maryvale would take the top honors, probably followed by South Mountain.

Was I right? Yes, about first place at least. Second place came as a surprise and the honors went to Cactus Park.
Cactus Park is generally the northwest part of Phoenix, west of I-17 and north of Bethany Home. The biggest concentration of crime seems to be around the Metrocenter area...Peoria and 35th Ave.
However, South Mountain takes top honors with the most homicides in Phoenix.

Here are the total number of crimes by area for 2007.

Maryvale (west Phoenix, I-17 to 100th Ave, Bethany Home south to Broadway): - 62 homicides, 2,368 violent crimes, 18,864 property crimes

South Mountain (south Phoenix): 20,952 - 74 homicides, 2,016 violent crimes, 16,567 property crimes

Central City (central Phoenix, including downtown): 13,876 - lowest by far - 24 homicides, 1,657 violent crimes, 10,565 property crimes

Squaw Peak (north central Phoenix, includes area of Arcadia): 17,915 - 18 homicides, 1,746 violent crimes, 14,745 property crimes

Desert Horizon (north east Phoenix, including parts generally thought of as Scottsdale): 20,647 - 22 homicides, 1,453 violent crimes, 17,781 property crimes

Cactus Park (north west Phoenix) 21,730 - 44 homicides, 1,887 violent crimes, 18,831 property crimes

Old 07-15-2008, 05:44 PM

17 posts, read 68,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denveraztec View Post
south phoenix is a huge area and much of it is being revitalized, however, the threads from phoenicians and statistical information agree with me. I will be more specific in the future and say "south mountain" or "off the i-10" instead of just south phoenix. You do live in a better part of it, though. Westwood is denver's worst area, and i never said it was not. I have always said five points/curtis park is an area in transition and never said it was safe. Phoenix does have ugly areas, just look off the i-10 and you will see shantis built, folks live in tough sheds or worse. I would take photos of them but i would probably get shot at. Same goes for areas of westwood with the picture taking, but not much shanti living going on here, folks would freeze.

we had to move our phoenix office out of the metro center area because 3/4 of our employees (over 300 in that office alone) had their cars broken into or stolen, and i don't consider the resident of that area scandalous. It was the traffic that the mall attracted. Part of van buren are 10 times worse then south federal. South mountain is similar to broad street in philly. Maricopa county has the highest auto theft in the country. Denver has it's issues, but go to the phoenix thread and type in south phoenix and see what your fellow bloggers say:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...cific-map.html

phoenix crime statistics *specific and by map*
i ran across this website with very up to date information about crime in the city of phoenix, which reaches all the way to scottsdale...although i doubt you'll hear many people living that far east admitting that they live in phoenix, and not scottsdale .
You can search by a variety of options...whole city areas using the "police beat" option or you can get very specific (down to a 1/2 sq mile area) using the "grid" option, which by the way shows the safest area of downtown is the ne section north of van buren, south of roosevelt, and east of central to 7th st. There were a total of 169 crimes there in 2007 vs 319 in the area south of van buren to the r.r. Tracks and west of central to 7th ave.

crime statistics (broken link)

what i found very interesting about the maps is that areas that are generally thought of as "rough" and as "nice", seem to be equal in crime at time, and at other times the "nicer" areas having more crimes, but maybe of different nature. The areas are not all similar in size, but i assume that density wise (number of people living per sq. Mile) is close therefore making the results accurate vs each other.

Without looking at the numbers, what would you expect the worst crime area of phoenix to be? Personally, i guessed maryvale would take the top honors, probably followed by south mountain.

Was i right? Yes, about first place at least. Second place came as a surprise and the honors went to cactus park.
Cactus park is generally the northwest part of phoenix, west of i-17 and north of bethany home. The biggest concentration of crime seems to be around the metrocenter area...peoria and 35th ave.
However, south mountain takes top honors with the most homicides in phoenix.

Here are the total number of crimes by area for 2007.

Maryvale (west phoenix, i-17 to 100th ave, bethany home south to broadway): - 62 homicides, 2,368 violent crimes, 18,864 property crimes

south mountain (south phoenix): 20,952 - 74 homicides, 2,016 violent crimes, 16,567 property crimes

central city (central phoenix, including downtown): 13,876 - lowest by far - 24 homicides, 1,657 violent crimes, 10,565 property crimes

squaw peak (north central phoenix, includes area of arcadia): 17,915 - 18 homicides, 1,746 violent crimes, 14,745 property crimes

desert horizon (north east phoenix, including parts generally thought of as scottsdale): 20,647 - 22 homicides, 1,453 violent crimes, 17,781 property crimes

cactus park (north west phoenix) 21,730 - 44 homicides, 1,887 violent crimes, 18,831 property crimes
aztec i didnt try to insult you by anyway it kind of looked like i was. Yea those stats are pretty high, but you got to look at the number of people in these areas too. South phoenix is almost 3 or 4 westwoods if not more. Yes maryvale is by far the worst neighborhood in phoenix. But i still would not hesitate to wear any color there or in southside. In westwood you can probably get away with wearing any color too but it still might be risky. But in the eastside i would not by any chance wear red. Or in north park hill wear blue. Ive heard many times of teenagers wearing blue in park hill and they end up getting shot. I dont meen to sound racist or anything, but i think if phoenix had more aa like 5 points mixed with the mexicans it would be worse. And im mexican so i dont want to get bashed at for being racist and all that bs

Old 07-15-2008, 06:26 PM

Well now, isn't that just about the biggest reason NOT to move to Phoenix?? I even like their airport,.....good darn thing I don't go walkin' around!!!
IF you say,.."that's just a small part of Phoenix" then,...that would be worse!!! In just blocks, you're time is pretty much up!!!!!!!!!!!!
In that case, I can tell you with certainty...I would not give a care about the Architecture?sp?!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver