Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 09:13 AM

456 posts, read 1,576,663 times

Advertisements

Chances are you've had terrible "chicago style" here. It doesnt not even compare to the real stuff back home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 09:59 AM

152 posts, read 617,784 times
Most people assume chicago style is only deep dish, when infact chicago style is made up of thick crust, deep dish, thin crust and stuffed. I'm not a fan of the deep dish, but I love the thick crust.

A good thick crust isn't super dense, it's just well... thick looking. Cut in squares, not triangles like the deep dish.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:55 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,221,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmoney View Post
Chances are you've had terrible "chicago style" here. It doesnt not even compare to the real stuff back home!
I had it in Chicago. I just don't like thick crust period - makes me feel like I just ate a loaf of bread! I noticed another post mentions that not all Chicago style is thick crust, so maybe they have something else I'd love.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:47 PM

456 posts, read 1,576,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I had it in Chicago. I just don't like thick crust period - makes me feel like I just ate a loaf of bread! I noticed another post mentions that not all Chicago style is thick crust, so maybe they have something else I'd love.
It's definitely not for everyone, that's for sure. My roommate who's from SoCal said it was "way too doughey"!

Old 08-08-2008, 02:23 PM

226 posts, read 1,219,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katysalsa View Post
Is there anywhere where I can find a good chicago style (thick crust or thin) pizza here in the Denver area?
unfortunately, no.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:28 PM

OK, if this is true, and I pray to the god of pizza that it is, we just found an aurelio's pizza in Denver. This is just like the aurelios in IL, we called, and they said it was the same owners. My husband just found it on the web and we are on our way. Updates to follow.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:53 PM

137 posts, read 429,042 times
Katysalsa,

Look forward to your review. We just moved here from Grand Rapids but spent a lot of time in Chicago. Our favorite is Pizzano's at State and Chesnut.

I asked about Chicago Pizza here and heard all about how great Old Chicago is. You ever had it? What a joke. We gave our pizza to the next table over.

If you find something close to back home I'd love to try it.

Last edited by eagle06; 08-10-2008 at 02:17 PM..

Old 08-10-2008, 10:43 PM

215 posts, read 771,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eminko View Post
omg there is no Chicago style pizza in Denver? kinda pissed!

As not only an Italian New Yorker, but someone who was raised on Pizza in the Bronx I have to say that looks disgusting. It looks like someone was trying to make a big thick cheese cake and used the wrong ingredients. What would be funny is if I bit into it and thought it was a disgusting looking, but delicious tasting mess.

Quote:
Most people assume chicago style is only deep dish, when infact chicago style is made up of thick crust, deep dish, thin crust and stuffed. I'm not a fan of the deep dish, but I love the thick crust.

A good thick crust isn't super dense, it's just well... thick looking. Cut in squares, not triangles like the deep dish.
Is it a round pie cut in squares or a big square pie cut in squares like a Sicilian slice?

Last edited by ANAPA; 08-10-2008 at 10:51 PM..

Old 08-11-2008, 09:05 AM

Review:
Aurelio's Pizza

6, maybe 7 out of 10. Definately NOT the like the Aurelios back in IL. The sauce was good, toppings were... sparce. They didn't have basil, which to me, is odd. The crust was a little too dense. Normally I like the end pieces where you get a little of the crust, but we didn't even eat the ends. It was almost like the dough hadn't risen enough. I had very high expectations for this place because 1) I've had the real Aurelios in IL and 2) Joe Aurelio's brother in Law opened Spinatos pizza in Phx where we lived before CO and that is the BEST pizza ever, he supposedly derived the recipe for spinatos from aurelios, so I was more or less expecting a very similar pizza. OH OH OH, and the kicker was for a large pizza with 3 toppings, it was $30! I about fell over.

So, would I recommend it, sure. Was it amazing, No. Is it overpriced, yes. Is it a good substitute for the real thing, yes.

For the last poster: to my knowledge thick crust is generally a round pizza cut in squares. That's the only way I've seen it. Also, that picture you have of the stuffed pizza with the sauce on top tastes better than it looks. That being said, don't base your judgement of chicago style off of a stuffed crust pizza.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:13 PM

215 posts, read 771,582 times
Quote:
For the last poster: to my knowledge thick crust is generally a round pizza cut in squares. That's the only way I've seen it. Also, that picture you have of the stuffed pizza with the sauce on top tastes better than it looks. That being said, don't base your judgement of chicago style off of a stuffed crust pizza.
Understood, and to be fair a lot of people base their idea of New York pizza on what they get in Manhattan, because they don't live here and therfore don't realize that the worst Pizza in NYC is in Manhattan.

The best Pizza I've ever had was in the Bronx and the second best was in Brooklyn, but again... It depends on the neighborhood. Even New Yorkers will argue who has the best pizza, but we almost all agree that the chain Pizza places in Manhattan are lousy and "Famous Ray's," is so over rated they might as well be a tourist trap.

And I'm sure that Pizza above tastes much better than it looks. I was just being a Bronx ball buster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver