Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 06:23 PM

795 posts, read 2,411,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
You're right of course...a college degree doesn't equal automatic employment, but even during this deepening recession, according to the latest numbers from the Department of Labor: The unemployment rate for high school students, at 15.2 percent is more than twice that for college students (5.9 percent).

My husband does not have a college degree, yet he is gainfully (and thankfully securely) employed. My best friend has a master's degree and is working very hard just to keep a roof over her head. There are no guarantees in this economy...the only point of my post is not to discourage someone who is pursuing a higher education. Your chances of employment are higher, though not guaranteed.
I am curious about your numbers. 5.9% for college students? That isnt for recent college graduates right? Just students in school who work at starbucks etc? Can you please post a link? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2021, 02:13 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,204,402 times
Sheridan1962 - yes, I agree....Texas and Colorado are as different as night and day in the real estate market. When we moved to Denver from Dallas in 1976, Denver housing prices were quite a surprise. In Texas, there were plentiful new custom homes. In Denver, I wouldn't have touched one of the new tract-like homes. We bought a house built in 1916 in Congress Park and loved it. Today, there is still a big difference between Dallas and Denver. For one thing, Colorado has state income tax. Texas does not. It does take more to live in Colorado. Now that I'm used to the differences and know how to navigate to get what I want, I would not move back to Texas for anything. The attitudes in Texas have changed so much. I no longer feel at home there, where I grew up. It is not a welcoming state. It's Colorado 100% for me today - it's my Home.

My direct answer to the question posed in this thread is: I don't know. I get the feeling that that there will be more serious setbacks on our horizon...we just haven't seen it all just yet. There hasn't been time for the full economic effect to settle in. It is coming, it just needs to trickle down a while longer. In my field of work, I have not seen any real changes...yet. Job-wise, I am set, for now. It may take a while longer for the economics to affect all of us. I am making a premium rate as I'm self-employed and also 'somewhat' retired. As for my living conditions, I've moved to a well managed senior apartment near Cherry Creek that essentially has rent-control. It's a very nice area, and I've scaled down which I don't mind at all. It makes for a simpler lifestyle, which I welcome. I do agree --- there is definitely a widening gap between the "rich and poor". Inflation is nipping at our heels every day. We're in denial. Eating out is becoming much more expensive and I cook at home more in order to have high quality meals. I've been eating out, and it's not easy to eat a decent healthy lunch for less than $20-25 now. It used to be about 1/2 of that, prior to COVID. IMO, the quality of our food, with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables - is the easiest way to insure our good health and keep our weight within healthy boundaries. Better than any prescription RX. I hope we can all continue to eat healthily in spite of any hardships that may appear overall for Denver and our country. These are times when we need to focus on the solutions outside the box to live a good life.

Here is my daily quote for the day from Daily Om: "Most humans are not born consciously knowing what their purpose is. It must be found through exploration."

Willing exploration will be a good mindset for the coming years.

Last edited by 'M'; 11-08-2021 at 02:53 PM..

Old 12-03-2021, 12:50 AM

242 posts, read 251,532 times
Bumped a thread from 2008-2009.

Nice…

I agree though, prices are soaring and the gap between the rich and poor is concerning. The middle class is essentially gone in desirable cities.

Definitely feel like crime has spike these past couple years, I don’t even bother going downtown anymore, it’s a ****show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver