Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:05 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,090,627 times

Advertisements

I did a walk/photo shoot of East Colfax today but had to hit my dry cleaners in Aurora first. Drove down Peoria to Colfax from Mississippi. Wow, Colfax looks and feels like a strip in a boarder town from Peoria until about Monaco, more so then South Federal. I haven't been in this area for years and didn't recognize it.

Stopped at Steve's Hot Dogs and it was good to see it crowded. Parked the car and walk west all the way to Franklin and then back, a good 2-3 miles. Retail and service business were vacant but hair salons were packed and the Tattered Cover in the old Lowenstien's theater was jammed with reader on the chairs, but the registers were vacant. Several of the Tattoo studios seemed to have customers and the Salvation Army was jammed. But didn't see a large number of homeless, hungry or thugs hanging about, so surprisingly Colfax showed little signs of recession. Plesant surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver_hacker View Post
Gotcha - thanks for the clarification!

Very sad that folks are in that situation
What is even worse is to see seniors having to do reverse mortgages just to pay for every day living expenses. A HECM or reverse mortgage is when someone over 62 is able to sell back their property to a lender but they can stay in the house. They can receive monthly payments, a partial lump sum or complete lump sum. The bank takes the property shoudl the home owner pass or vacate the property for more then one year. What most seniors don't know is that the cost of setting up such plans can typically run $11,000 to $17,000 just to set up the loan.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:10 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,723,615 times
You know what, though? Flatirons has been going downhill increasingly over the last year. I read an article not too long ago about how the mgmt. wasn't supporting the stores' contracts when a major building defect was found in some of the stores. A bunch of the stores ended up fleeing because the mgmt. wouldn't fix what was wrong -- a big contract dispute. Anyway, supposedly they have big plans to renew the mall. We shall see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfBoy914 View Post
Hey Guys.

I am in town for the weekend and also noticed that Flatirons Crossing was empty. On a Saturday. Wow.

Flip side? Boulder was BUSTLING and everyone there was friendly... Contrary to some opinions...

ETA: Am I remembering that someone on here is a Realtor? If so, drop me a pm, I have a question about a specific neighborhood.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:12 AM

omg you just discovered big lots?? My niece lives off of them. I hardly ever go too, but then when I do go I'm totally amazed at what they have. If you go out to the burbs, far out, you'll find these huge stores with even more stuff. One year I bought all of my xmas presents there, a very good deal. And I found stuff that you'd see in pier one or that world cost place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
The other place that I am seeing crowds is T.J. Maxx, Ross and Big Lots. I never use to go to Big Lots until someone told me what they had. It is not expried stuff, just over stocked items. Seems like stuff flies off the shelves there.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
... If you go out to the burbs, far out, you'll find these huge stores with even more stuff. ...

What is considered far out in the burbs, Lakewood, Westminster, Aurora?

Old 03-01-2009, 10:31 AM

Noooo. I'm talking the Orchard Mall. You get out here often? North Denver is now up to 144th/160th. That's a far out burb IMHO. Remember when "far out" used to be Thornton (92nd)? It's so far that to me, Lakewood, Westminster and Aurora are close to downtown!

Old 03-01-2009, 10:32 AM

I have never even heard of Orchard Mall. I assume it is on Orchard someplace?

Old 03-01-2009, 10:36 AM

hahahah, gotcha!! It's a new mall, I don't know why they call it Orchard. It's been open for at least a year now. It's also sort of in the middle of nowhere. It has a Belmar look to it.

Welcome to The Orchard Town Center, Westminster, CO

Old 03-01-2009, 10:58 AM

Cool for the folks that live up there but I may as well buy my groceries at Nieman Marcus (Needless Markup) if I am going drive that far to get some specials!

Old 03-01-2009, 12:21 PM

Actually, the Orchard is just as cool as Belmar and Stapleton. But I see your point about groceries. And I wouldn't recommend driving up there for Big Lots, just sayin'. The Orchard just put in a Imax theater in the regular AMC theater, pretty cool. From downtown, it'd suck to drive up there. For us, it's about 10 min. away via I-25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver