Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 01:33 PM

6 posts, read 15,865 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have really enjoyed reading all the good advice and encouragement everyone has to offer!

I visited a friend in Denver in August and decided that I have to live there. I currently live in a college town in MO- I'm 27 and feel old here.

I am so excited to move to Denver-however, every once in a while I have some fears...please offer any comfort if you can!

1. I am a teacher. I've heard over and over that jobs are tight- though I'm trying to keep hope and applying at every school possible!
2. I realize there are sooooooo many fun things for people in my age group to do- however...what's the best way to meet people? I have a few college friends out there, but that's it.
3. I've never lived more than 90 miles away from my family...homesickness-yikes!

Thanks for any tips or similar experiences!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 10:48 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,346,484 times
1. Tights are tight but opportunities do come up. In the middle of the school year, however, it is very difficult. You are are, apply to all of the school, hope fully score some interviews and then move from there.
2. No one specific way; friends of friends, similar interests, internet, meetup.com, maybe even people here on the forum.
3. All this means is that you will have more excuses to travel. It can be difficult but that is a choice that you may need to consider and make before you proceed with the move.

Good luck.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:02 PM

57 posts, read 138,737 times
Do you live in Columbia? I went to Mizzou and loved it there.

IMO, if you have adequate savings, just get up and go. You only live once.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:24 PM

3 posts, read 6,094 times
Have you heard about Aurora district? Is it far from Denver downtown?

Old 09-27-2009, 03:50 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misss72 View Post
I visited a friend in Denver in August and decided that I have to live there. I currently live in a college town in MO- I'm 27 and feel old here.
I'm 29 and feel like a grandpa, right now Anyone knows if Lowe's sells walking sticks??

Quote:
I am so excited to move to Denver-however, every once in a while I have some fears...please offer any comfort if you can!
We can throw you a welcome party, and carry you from the airport in a palanquin (http://images.exoticindiaart.com/panels/the_palanquin_wc53.jpg - broken link). Mike, the forum mod is a strong man and will lead from the front. Considering how weak I am I'll probably volunteer to oversee the proceedings

Quote:
1. I am a teacher. I've heard over and over that jobs are tight- though I'm trying to keep hope and applying at every school possible!
I know a few teachers in places as far away from Denver as CO Springs. So you can perhaps widen the net away from Denver when you apply.

Quote:
2. I realize there are sooooooo many fun things for people in my age group to do- however...what's the best way to meet people? I have a few college friends out there, but that's it.
C/D folks here meet often for happy hour and coffee klatching. That can be a nice start.

Quote:
3. I've never lived more than 90 miles away from my family...homesickness-yikes!
Uh... I never wanted to leave mom until I was 24 Even then, I would run in every weekend. The hyper-affection used to irritate my Dad to the extent that he would tell her to breastfeed her boy. And that will lead to an "How dare you?" quarrel. When I was 25 I crossed two oceans and three continents to reach my new home. I used to call my mom every 24 hours and whine that I have to do my own laundry, and buy vegetables all by myself and worse....... COOK all by myself. No more house stewards who bring coffee in trays/platters Welcome to the United States, the land of opportunity and self-work.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:34 PM

345 posts, read 974,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Uh... I never wanted to leave mom until I was 24 Even then, I would run in every weekend. The hyper-affection used to irritate my Dad to the extent that he would tell her to breastfeed her boy. And that will lead to an "How dare you?" quarrel. When I was 25 I crossed two oceans and three continents to reach my new home. I used to call my mom every 24 hours and whine that I have to do my own laundry, and buy vegetables all by myself and worse....... COOK all by myself. No more house stewards who bring coffee in trays/platters Welcome to the United States, the land of opportunity and self-work.
Where did you grow up?

Old 09-28-2009, 11:08 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,784,860 times
1. Jobs are tight. Just keep trying.
2. Join the athletic club and local sports league and find partners to play sports with.
3. a. Set up your webcam on your PC and on your family's PC, get high speed internet and you can talk and see them regularly.
3. b. Research flights between Denver and the closest airport to your hometown and budget to fly back every once in a while.
3. c. Make some good friends.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusmgm View Post
Where did you grow up?
India (land of free poppy and cows )

Old 10-07-2009, 04:02 PM

56 posts, read 197,515 times
I moved to Denver from Missouri over 3 years ago... it's the best decision I ever made, you won't regret it!

Old 10-07-2009, 06:00 PM

It's the best decision I made too. When I was about to lose my NY job and I was already jumping into this new job call I got from out of nowhere, some Denver, Colorado, which I'd never dreamed of all my life, except that I marked the rocky mountains in the North America map in black crayons in geography class, like 20 years ago, my peers were calling me NUTS for making such a long move into an allegedly "underdeveloped" state with respect to corporate firms and Financial bigwigs.

But I think I won the Kentucky derby or something. First, they okayed my job till the end of 2010. Today, I'm hearing they're budgeting me for the end of 2011.

It just gets better and better. I'm thinking I can marry some generous* babe and buy a house near the mountains

*generous because putting up with my antics requires patience on a 365-day basis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: