Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 02:16 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
What's the whole story?
One example
The fact that while the murder rate is high (not doubting that) well over half of the murders in the city come directly from the drug trade. The media makes it seems as if anyone walking down the street in broad daylight in Detroit will get killed. The media always trying to tell you otherwise. I hate that. More than likely if you're not involved in the drug game, no one is going to bother you. While there are exceptions (innocent people getting murdered) that is far from case the majority time. Also the majority of murders involve people who know each other over personal disputes (wether drug related or not).

Old 11-17-2010, 02:21 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
One example
The fact that while the murder rate is high (not doubting that) well over half of the murders in the city come directly from the drug trade. The media makes it seems as if anyone walking down the street in broad daylight in Detroit will get killed. The media always trying to tell you otherwise. I hate that. More than likely if you're not involved in the drug game, no one is going to bother you. While there are exceptions (innocent people getting murdered) that is far from case the majority time. Also the majority of murders involve people who know each other over personal disputes (wether drug related or not).
Are Chicagoans justified to use this same defense for their high crime rate?

Old 11-17-2010, 02:27 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,850 times
Quote:

No. Chicago ranks near the top in the country in gang related activity whereas Detroit ranks near the bottom in gang activity amongst the top 25 largest cities. It's so bad in Chicago the chief of police sat down and had a meeting with the gang leaders. Mayor Daly even called in the national guard to help with crime. More innocent people are effected by crime in Chicago then Detroit. They released the top 25 most dangerous neighborhoods and Chicago had about 4 and Detroit had none. The crime is concentrated in the south side. The south side of Chicago is more dangerous than any one spot in Detroit. Chicago has had much better success with gentrification than Detroit has.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
no. Chicago ranks near the top in the country in gang related activity whereas detroit ranks near the bottom in gang activity amongst the top 25 largest cities. It's so bad in chicago the chief of police sat down and had a meeting with the gang leaders. Mayor daly even called in the national guard to help with crime. More innocent people are effected by crime in chicago then detroit. They released the top 25 most dangerous neighborhoods and chicago had about 4 and detroit had none. The crime is concentrated in the south side. The south side of chicago is more dangerous than any one spot in detroit. Chicago has had much better success with gentrification than detroit has.
c/s

Old 11-17-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
no, scolls pretty much spelled it out for you

Old 11-17-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
More innocent people are effected by crime in Chicago then Detroit.
Please post evidence to support this claim.

Quote:
most dangerous neighborhoods and Chicago had about 4 and Detroit had none.
Doesn't that mean that you can walk all but four neighborhoods of Chicago and be safer than any neighborhood in Detroit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
no, scolls pretty much spelled it out for you
For you, not me.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:56 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
No. Chicago ranks near the top in the country in gang related activity whereas Detroit ranks near the bottom in gang activity amongst the top 25 largest cities. It's so bad in Chicago the chief of police sat down and had a meeting with the gang leaders. Mayor Daly even called in the national guard to help with crime. More innocent people are effected by crime in Chicago then Detroit. They released the top 25 most dangerous neighborhoods and Chicago had about 4 and Detroit had none. The crime is concentrated in the south side. The south side of Chicago is more dangerous than any one spot in Detroit. Chicago has had much better success with gentrification than Detroit has.
I am in no ways defending Chicago here, although I do live in the Chicago area. Quite the contrary, I believe Chicagoans should have some humility and stick up for Detroit given some similar historic trends and issues.

But I'm not sure I follow things here. You say that Chicago ranks near the top for gang activity, while Detroit is near the bottom. But, what about the drug trade in Detroit that the previous poster mentioned? Aren't those involved in the drug trade: gangs more or less? And what are the gangs in Chicago doing? I would think selling drugs.

Plus, why would more innocent people be affected by crime if it is officially gang-related? Isn't gang violence pre-medidated between those of other gangs? Isn't random non-gang related activity more likely to affect innocent people?

Like I said, I'm not sticking up for Chicago. I think its splitting hairs. I think for those most part the west and south sides are similar to much of Detroit, with the west and south side having a little less physical urban decay. (although its there, its just hidden).

Old 11-17-2010, 03:10 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,850 times
Detroit has a large drug trade because it has an international border. Cities on international borders are always at a disadvantage. The drug trade in Detroit is done out of poverty and Detroit does not have organized crime that controls sections of the cities like places like Chicago and Los Angeles. It's basically every man for themselves. Innocent people get shot by gangs for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. People in Detroit get murdered for the most part for a drug deal gone wrong. In fact, some gang initiations require members to kill innocent people in order to belong to the gang.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:24 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
I did something similar a couple weeks ago. I followed street view down the entire length of Gratiot from downtown to the city limits. It passes right through the middle of the entire east side. There wasn't more than half a block of intact buildings on each block. Except for a few new strip malls, all of the buildings looked pretty shabby at best.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Detroit has a large drug trade because it has an international border. Cities on international borders are always at a disadvantage. The drug trade in Detroit is done out of poverty and Detroit does not have organized crime that controls sections of the cities like places like Chicago and Los Angeles. It's basically every man for themselves. Innocent people get shot by gangs for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. People in Detroit get murdered for the most part for a drug deal gone wrong. In fact, some gang initiations require members to kill innocent people in order to belong to the gang.
I notice that you didn't answer either of my questions here. It sounds like you've flipped scripts and rather than going for the isolated crime argument are now going for the "it's the poverty" argument.

Would you like to support any of your arguments with evidence? Because, it seems that I have FBI stats on my side but you have rapidly oscillating excuses on your's.

The FBI says that crime occurs, on average, 40% higher in Detroit than Chicago. Do you have any thing-- N. E. Thing?-- to counter that?

DLove, you might want to get in on this because it is your argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit