Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 10:51 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,818 times

Advertisements

At the end of the day, it's about the jobs/career. And let's face it, Detroit is not a great career destination for most. There are jobs here, but not on par with many other areas. I'm not that young anymore (in my 30's). I've been in a lengthy search for my next career move. Unfortunately, Detroit is a black hole for me when looking at open positions and I end up having to apply out of state. I am born and raised here and do not dislike the area, but I can find 10-20 appealing job openings in (for example) Seattle for every 1 I find here. Different fields will have different results, but if you are in some type of tech field not directly related to automotive, your results will probably be similar to mine.

As for all the other factors (amenities, safety, and the city just being run poorly in general), those don't help. May just give people the extra push they need to leave. Every place is going to have some flaws and strengths. Weather, Cost of Living, amenities, etc, but how much does that matter if you are underemployed or unemployed? Get a stronger, more diverse economy here, and other things may very well ultimately fall into place. Until then, it's too easy to understand people fleeing the area for better career opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 01:16 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,301,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Yes. Of course. I don't think you'll find ANYONE that lives here (maybe a few Quicken employees) that would argue that Detroit outclasses San Francisco. That's why they're called world class cities. But other factors matter, and you can't compare locations in a vacuum.
But the point is, it's no longer a B-list city either, with awful roads, struggling economy (unless you just happened to be in a couple of particular fields), many suburbs now looking economically depressed, (just look at Warren south of 12 mile), and honestly zero sex appeal it starts losing not only to SF and NYC but also to Portland, Atlanta, Nashville, perhaps even Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. Let alone the warm South, West or SW. Why would anyone want to be constantly dodging potholes and looking at littered roads and fear going south of 8 mile when they can move to any equally faceless suburb in another city and at least get better living conditions ?

In the last 20-30 years we've lost whatever economic advantage we may have had, lost high standards of living (even if you're a rich yuppie you still will think twice before taking your Porshe on these roads), retained our winters and Detroit crime. Michigan is a gorgeous state, but it doesn't help with everyday life. All around I see retirement homes going up and schools closing down, not a good sign.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:22 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Detroit seems to be last on every list that is about college graduates and millennials and people actually read these articles and are scared to step foot in Detroit. The cold weather doesn't help Detroit as well. I like Detroit thou unlike all my other friends who trash the city I think it has lot of potential.

Last edited by UKWildcat1981; 04-21-2015 at 01:42 PM..

Old 04-21-2015, 01:33 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
But the point is, it's no longer a B-list city either, with awful roads, struggling economy (unless you just happened to be in a couple of particular fields), many suburbs now looking economically depressed, (just look at Warren south of 12 mile), and honestly zero sex appeal it starts losing not only to SF and NYC but also to Portland, Atlanta, Nashville, perhaps even Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. Let alone the warm South, West or SW. Why would anyone want to be constantly dodging potholes and looking at littered roads and fear going south of 8 mile when they can move to any equally faceless suburb in another city and at least get better living conditions ?

In the last 20-30 years we've lost whatever economic advantage we may have had, lost high standards of living (even if you're a rich yuppie you still will think twice before taking your Porshe on these roads), retained our winters and Detroit crime. Michigan is a gorgeous state, but it doesn't help with everyday life. All around I see retirement homes going up and schools closing down, not a good sign.
Given the current retirement rate of Boomers, and its trend, this is actually a good sign. It is a retiree destination. Florida is so 20 century. I can't imagine younger Boomers and subsequent generations having the fervor for places like FLA and AZ that older boomers, and older generations have had.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:10 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
Quote:

I agree with you. Generally it's not going to help retain younger folks.

That being said, I know there are older suburbanites that simply don't care. As long as their immediate suburban area is alright and they are employed, they are probably satisfied remaining put. It's still the 2nd largest metro area in the Midwest population-wise after the Chicago area even though the actual city shrank considerably.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:33 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,301,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Given the current retirement rate of Boomers, and its trend, this is actually a good sign. It is a retiree destination. Florida is so 20 century. I can't imagine younger Boomers and subsequent generations having the fervor for places like FLA and AZ that older boomers, and older generations have had.
Is this supposed to be a joke ?

It's most definitely not a retirement destination. The young people grow up and leave, they start families elsewhere, their kids are born in other states, so no need for so many schools. Some of their parents leave too, many stay behind, the overall population shrinks and grows older, so they close schools and build retirement homes.

I do agree that many Boomers will be unable to afford a decent place in Florida.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:57 PM

173 posts, read 404,309 times
Quote:
This is true. It is a really bad sign.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:39 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,277,998 times
Another problem is there is still no great destination for young people. The city is improving but even now a pretty unique offering. If you are 25 and not married, other cities begin to look very attractive. It will likely be quite a while before that changes.

Royal Oak, Ferndale and Birmingham are OK, but unless you have never really been anywhere, can't compare to many other large cities.

It's just a real shame that they let Detroit get as bad as it got from the 60s-90s. A lot of other cities had major problems during the second half of the 20th century but Detroit went all-in, to the point where it was close to not even having a viable downtown area. That is pretty much unique. But, onward.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:22 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Is this supposed to be a joke ?

It's most definitely not a retirement destination. The young people grow up and leave, they start families elsewhere, their kids are born in other states, so no need for so many schools. Some of their parents leave too, many stay behind, the overall population shrinks and grows older, so they close schools and build retirement homes.

I do agree that many Boomers will be unable to afford a decent place in Florida.
Actually the stats are that a number of inner ring communities around Detroit have a growing elder population. The shrinking schools are due to the "newly wed / new grad" and retiree groups dominating. Nationwide the trend is toward childlessness and much smaller households. A goodly fraction of the "newly wed / new grad" crowd will have zero to few kids. That is not all bad.

Last edited by BayAreaHillbilly; 04-22-2015 at 12:35 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 12:33 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
Quote:

OK what is your definition of A list and B list cities? The unemployment rate isn't much higher than some of the other "B-list" cities you've mentioned but it IS improving. And yes the potholes are bad but come on, that hasn't stopped anyone I know from driving their nice cars in the summer. I see them ALLLL the time. I highly doubt that is a problem that keeps Detroit from making it to B- list when other cities in comparison have earthquakes, hurricanes, wildfires, mudslides, and many tornado's. Btw, Detroit is hardly the only major city I have seen that has alot of potholes. And with litter on the streets again, Detroit is hardly... in fact I have never seen a major city that didn't have litter on many streets.

Many suburbs looking depressed? yea they keep building more and more sh*t everywhere and further out. Detroit's suburbs overall are very good. I can count on one hand how many are high crime ghettos. Have you seen the south burbs of Chicago? or the south burbs of Atlanta (south Atl burbs are just as bad as the city), THAT is what you call depressed suburbs. Also, many burbs of south LA I have seen are also pretty damn bad. All 3 cities are just examples that I have seen that have much worse suburbs than Detroit does. So these can't be the reasons why it isn't a B-list city by your standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit