Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 05:41 PM

93,419 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
You're implying its mainly caused by racism. Not true. You imply that I, and others like me (whites?) think that NONE of it is racism. Sure, some may be, but its not as big as you think it is. If you want to coinhabit, thats fine, just leave the Detroit mentality at the 8 mile border.
Just wondering, what does that mean exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 10:52 PM

937 posts, read 2,835,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just wondering, what does that mean exactly?
You'd have to live in the Metro Detroit area to understand. General lawlessness behavior in Detroit, and the residents tend to act the same once they cross over.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:48 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times
Quote:
You'd have to live in the Metro Detroit area to understand. General lawlessness behavior in Detroit, and the residents tend to act the same once they cross over.
I guess the Detroit mentality is the same thing as the Benton Harbor mentality, which is why St Joseph, across the river, is nearly all white while Benton Harbor is nearly all black. I guess Muskegon Heights has the same Mentality as well as the North Side of Flint as well as SE side of Grand Rapids. Hmmmmm.....Its strange how the peeople in these places have the same opinion about certaion geographic areas that people have about the city of Detroit and its "Mentality". I guess its just conicidence, and not racism, that all these geographic areas happen to be black and the people critisizing it and its people are white. Wheeeeehhh....thank gd for geographic areas. That way people can use geographic name instead of having to note the color of its residents. White problems are not with race.....its with geographic locations that contain a certain race. The race they are ok with......its the location that makes the race behave like they do. The race of the people is just incidental to geography....yeah...yeah...thats it.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I guess the Detroit mentality is the same thing as the Benton Harbor mentality, which is why St Joseph, across the river, is nearly all white while Benton Harbor is nearly all black. I guess Muskegon Heights has the same Mentality as well as the North Side of Flint as well as SE side of Grand Rapids. Hmmmmm.....Its strange how the peeople in these places have the same opinion about certaion geographic areas that people have about the city of Detroit and its "Mentality". I guess its just conicidence, and not racism, that all these geographic areas happen to be black and the people critisizing it and its people are white. Wheeeeehhh....thank gd for geographic areas. That way people can use geographic name instead of having to note the color of its residents. White problems are not with race.....its with geographic locations that contain a certain race. The race they are ok with......its the location that makes the race behave like they do. The race of the people is just incidental to geography....yeah...yeah...thats it.
It's your world man, whatever you say

Old 04-17-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I've been there many times and have been in the city. Actually, had great grandparents that lived on Burnette. So, again, what exactly does that mean and does this go for everyone that has this "mentality"?

Old 04-17-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
That's what I was thinking....Hmm. Can't forget the Eastern half of Saginaw too.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I've been there many times and have been in the city. Actually, had great grandparents that lived on Burnette. So, again, what exactly does that mean and does this go for everyone that has this "mentality"?
Failure to think outside of the box. See the moon? Looks small doesnt it? Abstract vs concrete.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:03 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times
Quote:
Failure to think outside of the box. See the moon? Looks small doesnt it? Abstract vs concrete.
Why think outside the box when the box contains the answer? Thinking outside the box is being "creative". This issue requires no creativity....just reality.

Now for you and those like you.....I would try pulling my head up out the sand.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:33 PM

8 posts, read 17,651 times
I don't know where you have been or what planet you come from but the reason Detroit is mostly black is because all the industry has left town, and quite some time ago, I might add. Unfortunately those that are left are the uneducated, poor, who most often grew up there, and lived on welfare. That being said because they were uneducated they didn't really know what was going on economically in Detroit, Michigan or the country for that matter, because they never listened to or watched the news.

The assembly lines for the car manufacturers long ago employed most likely the parents and grandparents of those who are left. The others worked for restaurants, hotels, cleaning companies. But hey, they don't need these workers any longer, which should be nothing new to you, if you live in the USA, because most of the unemployed 50 Million people many who are White, and educated, and have seen their jobs out-sourced to China can tell you.

So, Detroit is left with mostly black, poor, and uneducated people the "remains of the day", so to speak. But there is hope for Detroit. They have a new Black Mayor, Dave Bing, a retired Pistons Basketball Player from the 60's, who wants to bring Detroit out of the dust and rebuild the city. They have a new Educational program they are trying to implement if only those who have just tried to halt it, would move out of the way, so that their children will benefit from a program to help improve the educational system in Detroit, by a man named Robert Bobb. Yes, Detroit is mostly black, but things will change when peoples thinking changes. There's nothing wrong with being Black. But there is something wrong with not trying to get a good education.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:44 PM

380 posts, read 692,087 times
That may be changing...I've seen more white people in Detroit within the past few months driving down "unlikely" residential streets (not including downtown Detroit where it appears that majority of the employees are white) than I have in ten (10) years! Someone schooled me that maybe a lot of suburbanites are losing their homes, and are therefore, forced to move back to the city where the cost of living is a lot cheaper. I don't know...Should we say, "Welcome Home"?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit