Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 05:06 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Knowing what you need to do and doing it are two different things.

I don't have a weight issue, but I do suffer from SAD (I live in Oregon, but I'm not from here...). I have always been a healthy eater (worked at Whole Foods for 10+ years and totally drank the company KoolAid - and loved it!)... but one year I decided to follow my heart and gut and do all vegan raw/living food.

I went a whole year... lost 35 pounds (and I didn't need to lose the weight...) and felt absolutely wonderful. Didn't suffer from SAD that long winter, my body temperature regulated itself better (I was never cold... and in the summer I hardly ever felt the heat... it was the coolest thing!), my skin was glowing, sex even got better. I had tons of energy, I just simply felt amazing.

However... I'm a mother who does 99% of the shopping/preparing/cooking for a family of four and I was the only one doing this raw food thing...

...and we only have the one refrigerator! lol

Needless to say, it became too expensive and too time consuming keeping up with my raw food lifestyle in addition to meeting my husband and kids needs as well. The fridge was a constant mess and it was hard fitting everything in it with the two different types of foods we were all eating.

I gave it up... mostly. I still do mostly raw/vegan but not 100% like before.

I gained the 35 lbs back, I'm cold all the time, and this winter I am fighting SAD big-time.

I am aching for the day when the kids are grown and I can go back to my preferred dietary lifestyle.

If I was rich... I'd buy a second fridge and hire a raw food chef to keep me stocked.
Haggard, just go to the nearest Sears outlet, buy a second fridge, and put it in the carport, garage, or basement. You can get one for $200- $300, depending on how big the scratch/dent is and where it is.

That's what we did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 01:43 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,216 times
I think I have the answer. Eat around 1200-1500 calories a day 6 days a week, on Day 7, I eat anything I want. I think this will prevent you from plateauing. I actully weigh less after the pig out day. I think Im tricking my body into kick starting my metabolism. At first it was hard to do, as I felt like I was ruining my whole week, but its simple math. With added walking every day, and what my body normally burns by just breathing, I burn about 15K to 20 K a week, I eat, including my pig out day around 10,500 worth of calories. I REALLY REALLY PIG OUT too. When the pig out day is over...its over for 6 more days. I ended up losing around 2 pounds a week. 2 weeks ago, only one, but last week, I lost 3. Lots of water all day long. A pedometer is a huge help. I have a goal of hitting 1 million steps in 6 months. I have a job where walking is available..actually required. Please tell me if any of you try the pig out day. Please no comments on how bad it is to indulge...I already know this, but after losing 22 pounds since Jan 1st, I think the bennies of weight loss out weigh the bad eating four to 5 days a month.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:08 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
1 pound = 3000 calories.

So if you really did eat 10500 calories on day 7...

You ate enough calories to accommodate 3.5 pounds.

If you subtract from that 1500 calories that you -could- have eaten that day instead...you're left with 9000 calories that you ate, that you didn't need to eat.

And that would have resulted in another 3 pounds lost, that week.

The reason you didn't lose 5 pounds, instead of only 2 pounds, is because you pigged out on the 7th day.

But you go ahead and enjoy binging and pretending to yourself that your body can be "tricked"... and pretend that the 2 pound loss is a result of eating 3.5 pounds worth of calories MORE on one day. Pretend that you're not smart enough to know how to subtract 2 pounds from 3.5 pounds and realize that you've been GAINING weight that day, and losing the rest of the week, and coming out with a 2 pound loss.

If it makes you feel better and helps you justify the creme brule, the pulled pork sub with mac and cheese, the 6-pack of beer and the fried chicken sandwich with french fries and gravy, you go ahead and do that.

Hopefully the rest of the people reading this thread will remain firmly grounded in reality, and understand that eating 3.5 pounds MORE of calories, isn't going to make you lose 2 pounds.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:18 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
It' difficult because the basic notion of just eat less and move more is very simplistic and flawed. Why is it that someone like me who gets average exercise and eats over 3000kcal per day can maintain a healthy weight easily no matter what yet some people I know have to force exercise and watch their eating, say even less than 2000kcal per day, and still can't lose weight?

It's often been said by some that excess fat storage is a problem relating to hormone imbalance where people who gain weight are not burning calories efficiently; i.e storing some of their calories (even when eating small amounts) as fat meaning they become tired because less than they need is being actually turned into energy, and that re-enforces lethargy and excessive hunger creating a catch 22. That is one theory among many of course, but seems to sound realistic to me.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:47 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Eat less calories than you burn. Eat healthy foods and do not starve yourself. If you over do it occasionally no big deal, as long as you compensate for it as in exercising more. There is no 'tricking' the body.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:52 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
1 pound = 3000 calories.

So if you really did eat 10500 calories on day 7...

You ate enough calories to accommodate 3.5 pounds.

If you subtract from that 1500 calories that you -could- have eaten that day instead...you're left with 9000 calories that you ate, that you didn't need to eat.

And that would have resulted in another 3 pounds lost, that week.

The reason you didn't lose 5 pounds, instead of only 2 pounds, is because you pigged out on the 7th day.

But you go ahead and enjoy binging and pretending to yourself that your body can be "tricked"... and pretend that the 2 pound loss is a result of eating 3.5 pounds worth of calories MORE on one day. Pretend that you're not smart enough to know how to subtract 2 pounds from 3.5 pounds and realize that you've been GAINING weight that day, and losing the rest of the week, and coming out with a 2 pound loss.

If it makes you feel better and helps you justify the creme brule, the pulled pork sub with mac and cheese, the 6-pack of beer and the fried chicken sandwich with french fries and gravy, you go ahead and do that.

Hopefully the rest of the people reading this thread will remain firmly grounded in reality, and understand that eating 3.5 pounds MORE of calories, isn't going to make you lose 2 pounds.
maybe you need a reality check, 2 pounds a week is very safe..not sure why you are attacking me. Before the 7th day pig out as I called it, I would frequently plateau...now I do not. My body burns about 1800 a day by doing nothing. I eat 1200-1500, that leaves 300 a day if I was in a coma. I walk for exercise and burn off an additional 700 to 1000 calories a day, even on the 7th day...I am firmly grounded.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:54 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
i think i understand what u r saying.
bek people get very unhappy and cant continue the grind so they eat food that makes them happy.
they dont excercise bek they barely got the strength and guts to do daily what they do. they are overworked and over burdened with family and job obligations. 46% of americans work FTE. that is not a fun job, that is carrying the rest of us.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:26 PM

41,956 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
There is no 'tricking' the body.
You're not familiar with the concept of "plateau", are you?

Old 02-16-2012, 12:34 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You're not familiar with the concept of "plateau", are you?
There is no "tricking" going on though, when dealing with a plateau.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:46 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
When you're heavier, your body has to work harder to do pretty much everything it does. Work = calories. So your body will burn more calories doing "x" activity when you're heavier, than it will doing the -same thing- when you're lighter. That means, if you don't add more work when you're lighter, you will hit a plateau at which point you are no longer working hard enough to lose weight. Even though you're working -exactly- as hard as you were a month ago when you were losing it.

By work, I mean anything and everything that expends energy. From sitting and breathing, to exercise, to picking up a forkful of veggies and putting it to your mouth, to the act of digestion.

It's a matter of resistance. The more you work, the less you weigh, but the less you weigh, the easier it is to do the same amount of work, which means you need to work harder to create more resistance, so you can weigh less, so you can work easier, so you can make more work for yourself, so you can weigh less.

That's how to get past a plateau, and that is the layman's explanation of the science behind it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss