Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 12:33 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times

Advertisements

You can cut out processed foods and still eat and call it a cleanse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 01:58 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
ALL, I appreciate ALL responses! It sounds like there are a few of us willing to do some form or fashion of a fast. Someone asked if I had ever done a fast, and the answer is yes, but I wasn't particularly serious and only lasted a couple days. However, not only do I want to lose the pounds, but also because it is my understanding from study that a fast WILL clear out lots of toxins in the body, and apparently I have them, because I wound up with breast cancer a year and a half ago, treatments were tough, and like anybody who has ever looked at death in the face, you don't want to go nowhere near it again. So, I thought in addition to my weight problem that is creating too many health issues, like shortness of breath and achy joints, I might also benefit from toxins leaving me, because in my opinion, cancers come from toxins, bacteria, and stuff that doesn't belong inside us.

My understanding also is one should approach a fast with easing down on what food you take in, right on down to liquids, and then stop. Same thing in reverse. But one thing I heard mentioned was getting dehydrated. I am talking about a water fast. I would not do a "dry" fast because that's crazy. Drinking water is a good idea. I also happen to think that most of the agreeances here have to do with a juice fast, which I am willing to consider. I DID read, however, that to get the toxins out, for ketosis to take place and all the benefits physically from that level of response, that not even teas are to be done. Now, that's NOT to strike out the idea of a juice fast; in fact, I'm thinking about doing it THAT way instead of just water. But water is a must, at the very least!!!

I am an older person, I may not have long to live, and I COULD die from not only cancer recurrence, but also from a heart attack on account of my weight. I HAVE to get this weight off. My weight, it hasn't always been like this. I used to be so active, kept my weight straight, with a few exceptions, and so now that I'm stuck with this extra weight, I simply cannot just diet and diet and diet for the months (years, decades...haha) it would take to get it off, thus the idea of the fast. So, let us continue to chit-chat about the situation, and pretty soon we'll have some die-hards ready to set a date.

As to the date, I MUST wait until about the last full week in July, about three weeks from now, and while I don't want to be the one to say, "Ready, set, go," I do think we who decide to do this need to come together somehow so we can at least support each other while this is going on. My reason for waiting a few weeks to fast is because, yes, folks, I'm a real human being, and I just worked SO HARD to get this month off, and even throwing in the towel on the last week of July is pushing it for me, but I'm willing to do it. Oh, and yes, I can just do, say, one week, or ten days, up to two weeks, but I don't think it matters, becuz each of us will know when we want to climb back out of it and will do so. Just thinking we would all need each other's daily support (whining) whilst trying a good fast. GG
OK Gigi, I get that you're determined to do this and I'm sympathetic to your reasons why so just throwing out things to think about. 1. You might want to do that journaling thing on C-D and blog about this so others can see what you're going thru and offer suggestions. 2. Please don't be a die-hard and push thru to 2 weeks even though you feel like crap and want to faint--consider going off if you need to and then resolve to do shorter fasts from then on--experienced fasters generally work up to this amount of time that you're striving for--could even take a year but you can lose a considerable amount with intermittent fasting until then. You didn't say how overweight you are but it sounds like a lot if you think weigh tloss will take over a year. Remember though that really fast weight loss is hard on your skin. 3. Have some bloodwork done before and after so you can compare your numbers. 4. If you decide not to juice fast, how about herbal teas? Many will have a medicinal effect on some part of your body and here is a link to a cancer center's database about helpful herbs and the research that has been done on them: Integrative Medicine: Search About Herbs | Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center

Old 07-03-2012, 11:47 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times
I also started taking vitamins during my fasting. I tried liquid vitamins (given that I wasn't eating) -- but they were soooo nasty I gave it up. I couldn't even manage a CAP-ful in a half-gallon of juice or water. THAT is how overpowering that nastiness was. So I went back to capsules.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:39 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I am starting with a very restricted diet of raw foods about 1200 calories a day and then slowly going into a fast for 3-5 days, and then alternating with raw foods. I have tried to just start a fast but its too hard on my body without transition.

I disagree that the body just "cleanses" itself. It tries, but some of us (me included) overload it with toxins, processed sugars, starches, alcohol, and junk. I don't think its a bad idea to give it a rest period.
Why do you think that just 'fasting' from this type of food alone wouldn't
allow your body to achieve a "cleanse" from all these supposed toxins?
Once they've had time to move through your system and out, they're gone.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:55 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,715,382 times
1- not all bodies are built for fasting. You must do a checkup before starting fasting. Its more extreme than diet changes which also require a check up to be on the safe side.

2- you do not take any vitamin pills etc. If you are life sustaining medications, you should not fast.

3- you should not exercise during a fast beyond yoga stretches in NORMAL temps. Ignoring this rule will put you at risk for electrolyte imbalances AND a toxic build up that will make you feel ill. (exercise is another way to "detox" as it speeds up the metabolism and cleanses the system from the pores and increased metabolism)

4- You need to clean up your diet before fasting or you will: end up ill and/or chemically set up for a "toxic food" binge post fast.

5- You should not fast for over 3 days without medical supervisions due to issues that can arise with the body that can be beyond home care control

6- You should not fast if your have nutritional deficiencies. This does not have anything to do with weight. A larger person can have an empty calorie diet or genetic inclination that would result in nutritional deficiencies.

7- You do NOT take in extra protein while fasting. It is a short term action and taking in protein during this time can add strain on the kidneys and liver which are already under strain from the detox. Protein also acts as a diuretic which can increase your chances of dehydration. If you have natural plant proteins in your food (raw food fast) or juices that is fine. Animal sourced proteins are an absolute no-no.

Nutritional Programs: Nutritional Program for Fasting
^^^ read that link as well. It goes into detail about benefits and hazards.
It also talks of different types of fasts, breaking a fast and timing.

You really should not fast for weight loss. Its a detox thing.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:00 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
1- not all bodies are built for fasting. You must do a checkup before starting fasting. Its more extreme than diet changes which also require a check up to be on the safe side.

2- you do not take any vitamin pills etc. If you are life sustaining medications, you should not fast.

3- you should not exercise during a fast beyond yoga stretches in NORMAL temps. Ignoring this rule will put you at risk for electrolyte imbalances AND a toxic build up that will make you feel ill. (exercise is another way to "detox" as it speeds up the metabolism and cleanses the system from the pores and increased metabolism)

4- You need to clean up your diet before fasting or you will: end up ill and/or chemically set up for a "toxic food" binge post fast.

5- You should not fast for over 3 days without medical supervisions due to issues that can arise with the body that can be beyond home care control

6- You should not fast if your have nutritional deficiencies. This does not have anything to do with weight. A larger person can have an empty calorie diet or genetic inclination that would result in nutritional deficiencies.

7- You do NOT take in extra protein while fasting. It is a short term action and taking in protein during this time can add strain on the kidneys and liver which are already under strain from the detox. Protein also acts as a diuretic which can increase your chances of dehydration. If you have natural plant proteins in your food (raw food fast) or juices that is fine. Animal sourced proteins are an absolute no-no.

Nutritional Programs: Nutritional Program for Fasting
^^^ read that link as well. It goes into detail about benefits and hazards.
It also talks of different types of fasts, breaking a fast and timing.

You really should not fast for weight loss. Its a detox thing.
Excellent post. I agree with all of it.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:48 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post

Fasting is entirely natural and it is practiced by many cultures and other species. Most animals have the good sense not to over eat and to fast at certain times, giving their bodies a rest.

People eat themselves sick. Literally.
What animal voluntarily fasts? The only thing close I can think of is hibernation, and that's because there is no food available.... I wouldn't count that as voluntary.

I can't think of an animal who you put food in front of and they wouldn't eat it.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:37 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,715,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What animal voluntarily fasts? The only thing close I can think of is hibernation, and that's because there is no food available.... I wouldn't count that as voluntary.

I can't think of an animal who you put food in front of and they wouldn't eat it.
Shelton: Fasting, Chapter II

A lot of different animals fast for various reasons.

Fasting in the proper conditions boosts the immune system and increases the anti-inflammation hormones in the body. This can help fight infections, and heal the body.

Benefits Of Fasting For The Immune System | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 08-05-2012, 10:51 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,549 times
I'm so sorry, I didn't realize the time had passed that I said I wanted to try fasting. So, I'm here to update. At some point in July, I decided not to fast just yet, mainly because I couldn't decide if I should do a total fast or fast with juices or some other version of a part-time fast. I have, however, been getting out and walking more, and I noticed I lost a couple inches around my waist.

I don't have a new date or plans of what kind of fast yet. But if I do begin to approach one again, I'll come back. It takes a lot of will and a schedule, neither of which I have much of right now. I'm still attracted to a straight fast on account of the larger weight loss in a shorter time... I mean, why suffer for a couple months when in a couple fasts I'll be done. Still, the idea of no food or anything to drink except water is VERY hard to imagine.

Also, to a few others who have shared advice about how to ease into a fast and all the other tips, I have studied on those things in the past, I do know how to deal with it, but since I was a month away, I just didn't want to get all into it yet with a post. But again, I would of course share everything if I go into some sort of extreme limited eating diet. Later!

Old 08-05-2012, 04:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
I'm so sorry, I didn't realize the time had passed that I said I wanted to try fasting. So, I'm here to update. At some point in July, I decided not to fast just yet, mainly because I couldn't decide if I should do a total fast or fast with juices or some other version of a part-time fast. I have, however, been getting out and walking more, and I noticed I lost a couple inches around my waist.

I don't have a new date or plans of what kind of fast yet. But if I do begin to approach one again, I'll come back. It takes a lot of will and a schedule, neither of which I have much of right now. I'm still attracted to a straight fast on account of the larger weight loss in a shorter time... I mean, why suffer for a couple months when in a couple fasts I'll be done. Still, the idea of no food or anything to drink except water is VERY hard to imagine.

Also, to a few others who have shared advice about how to ease into a fast and all the other tips, I have studied on those things in the past, I do know how to deal with it, but since I was a month away, I just didn't want to get all into it yet with a post. But again, I would of course share everything if I go into some sort of extreme limited eating diet. Later!
And during all this time, the only change you've actually made is walking more - and you've already lost a couple of inches around your waist.

Imagine how much progress you -could've- made, if instead of wondering what kind of fast to do, you had simply changed your portion sizes (to somewhat smaller) and increased your exercise by another half hour a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss