Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 08:50 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's called "being a grown-up and realizing that actions have consequences, and sometimes you just have to say no to that fifth piece of cheesecake."
Well they can have that 5th piece of cheesecake as long as they don't eat the next day!

Old 04-01-2013, 09:06 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

It's not too much to ask if they want it bad enough.

I watch what I eat and I excerise 7 days a week. I dont have herculean will power and I am certainly not deprived of anything. I know what works..diet and excerise and I stick to it...if you want it bad enough, you'll do it
Everyone knows that with enough will power, anybody can lose weight and keep it off forever. But that isn't a solution. A life of struggle and misery isn't worth it. That's what it takes for some people to be thin.

Just because you don't require herculean will power and don't feel deprived doesn't mean others don't.

Your post reads as if you are projecting your situation onto others. People are different. Their genes are different.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:59 PM

123 posts, read 245,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
Blueberry...would you mind posting the links again? Im not afraid to read and learn.
I posted them here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/28784693-post36.html

Old 04-01-2013, 01:03 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,852,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry Pancake View Post
Yes, it is a great diet and it works. I have tried to explain it before to the people on this board, but people here don't like to read or learn. They just like to disagree for the sake of disagreeing.

I like the "Fast Five" diet, although it is actually a lifestyle change and not just a diet or a way to maintain weight.

Basically you eat your meals during a 5-hour period every day, so you are fasting for 19 hours.

Welcome to the Fast-5 website | Fast-5 Life

Old 04-01-2013, 02:31 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Everyone knows that with enough will power, anybody can lose weight and keep it off forever. But that isn't a solution. A life of struggle and misery isn't worth it. That's what it takes for some people to be thin.

Just because you don't require herculean will power and don't feel deprived doesn't mean others don't.

Your post reads as if you are projecting your situation onto others. People are different. Their genes are different.
I agree with you that we don't all have the same genes or the same motivation. However, eating healthy and keeping the portions to a normal size doesn't mean that you are going to have a "life of struggle and misery"...wow, that is so negative.....why not an attitude adjustment that will equate a sensible eating plan with maintaining normal body weight and looking good, feeling good and being healthier?

Old 04-01-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
why not an attitude adjustment that will equate a sensible eating plan with maintaining normal body weight and looking good, feeling good and being healthier?
Because it is more than an unadjusted attitude that results in a lot of people being overweight. These people who are overweight know darn well what a sensible eating plan is. It isn't a lack of education or knowledge that is the problem. It is the failure to execute the the sensible eating plan.

Try telling an alcoholic that he needs an attitude adjustment so he can only drink one or two beers instead of one or two 12 packs. Similarly, an alcoholic knows he should be drinking one or two beers but he "can't" stop like a "normal" person can.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:58 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,150 times
I'm with you, Blueberry. If a regimen doesn't match up with the rigid views of some of the more self-righteous "experts" here, they trash it to smithereens like The Grand Inquisitor.
I really don't care, though. I have been doing IF for about 8 months now and the benefits (and ease of practice) still amazes me. Now I am slightly under my 'set weight' and that is fine. I do a 500 calorie-restriction 'fast ' 2 or 3 days a week now. There are many benefits other than weight loss too. See past threads on the 5:2 diet or Intermittent Fasting.
And OP - everyone is different so it may or not be the regimen for you.
But remember..Make up your own mind!

Old 04-01-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Because it is more than an unadjusted attitude that results in a lot of people being overweight. These people who are overweight know darn well what a sensible eating plan is. It isn't a lack of education or knowledge that is the problem. It is the failure to execute the the sensible eating plan.

Try telling an alcoholic that he needs an attitude adjustment so he can only drink one or two beers instead of one or two 12 packs. Similarly, an alcoholic knows he should be drinking one or two beers but he "can't" stop like a "normal" person can.
And yet I and many others have been able to completely change the way we eat on our own without outside assistance. It can be done and attitudes can change and people can overcome their weaknesses. It happens, probably more than you think. Some of us just get tired of the way we look and the way we feel. Some of us can indeed "just stop" our old habits and initiate and maintain real change. For me the change had everything to do with attitude and determination.....all overweight people are not destined to fail as you seem to intimate.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
And yet I and many others have been able to completely change the way we eat on our own without outside assistance. It can be done and attitudes can change and people can overcome their weaknesses. It happens, probably more than you think. Some of us just get tired of the way we look and the way we feel.

I don't doubt you. Some people can do it. And I am sincerely happy you have.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:38 PM

Sometimes some losing weight has a lot to do with finding the eating plan that works for you, one that you can live with every day, an eating plan that doesn't leave you hungry and that you see results from.....this can take a while. I could always lose 25 to 30 pounds with WeightWatchers....but I could never keep it off for more than a few months...it just did not work for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss