Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 11:54 PM

66 posts, read 323,723 times

Advertisements

Some breeds of dogs should never be trusted off lead.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Dogs can learn their boundary and not go out of the yard.
This is true. It's especially easy with herding dogs. My father would take our shelties out and walk the property line every time we moved to a new house. They would stay in the yard. The main problem is that herding dogs like to chase cars though. Ours would run down the property line and turn in circles waiting to chase the car. They never left the yard. There was no fence, invisible fences didn't exist back then. It was all in the training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I don't like seeing a dog left alone for extended time, tied up by it's collar, put up a fence build a run get an invisible fence or train it.
The OP isn't interested in leaving her dog alone.

She is simply interested in a way for her dog to spend time with them outside while they are too busy doing yard work to keep an eye on him 100% of the time.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:50 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,190,746 times
Nope. There's too many deer around here, and I don't trust my dogs not to decide to chase them one day for the fun of it. Dogs are lost every year around here to ticked off hunters. Plus, they look a lot like wolves, tends to freak people out.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:09 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
We have an abundance of deer, a few hunters ans a wolf now and then.

To stop them from chasing deer get your self a good shock collar.
Don't fool around with the weak settings.
Set it on high. then take your dog for a walk off lead. When your dog sees the deer and gets ready to run. Give it to them.

This may sound harsh but loosing your dog or having it run out into traffic could end up much much worse.
The good thing is if your dog has 1/2 a brain you wont have to do it more than a couple of times.

I did this to a couple of dogs years ago and to this day when they see a deer they just stop and turn to look at me for instructions.
Sometimes I'll send them to chase the deer. (out of the garden)
With some training you can also call them off of the chase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post
Nope. There's too many deer around here, and I don't trust my dogs not to decide to chase them one day for the fun of it. Dogs are lost every year around here to ticked off hunters. Plus, they look a lot like wolves, tends to freak people out.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:13 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
Most leash laws will have a part that address a dog being off lead, this is allowed if the dog will not break from your side and listens to voice commands a physical restraint may not be necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Metro ATL--suburb intown.

We walk through a nearby park--he goes off lead--against an ordinance--so we face prosecution, i suppose. He is trained enough in my poor way of training to stay near me and come when i call. He knows he should stay nearby--he has that much sense and he wants to protect me.

What anyone thinks of this--well, that is what i do.

Our dogs are all hold Schutzhund titles, rarely on a lead, run of the yard. Only a small area is fenced for the young untrained dogs
(unless there to young)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
Maybe I should clarify does anyone let their dog off leash in an unfenced part of their property. I asked because I wonder if most dog owners do it, and if so, what kind of training if any was involved. But it's looking like most of you don't.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:02 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolseen View Post
Some breeds of dogs should never be trusted off lead.
Yes....my hound...

Old 05-13-2011, 10:28 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Depends on the dog/breed/personality of the individual dog.

Most of my life, I've had outdoor dogs that stayed close to the house/outbuildings and did not roam or run off, and this was living on an unfenced acreage surrounded by hundreds of acres of grazing pasture and cultivated farm fields. Never had to leash, tie out, or confine a dog. These were labs, lab mixes, and malamutes, primarily. They stayed close to where they got fed, and had good recall.

Now I have a beagle-catahoula mix. The quintessential hound, ruled by the nose. He's primarily indoors, as I no longer live on a farm, but in a suburb. The first three months we had him, we felt fine about letting him roam off-leash in our large, fenced back yard (4 ft chain link). Then, one day, a rabbit darted through the yard and through the small gap between the gate and fence, and he launched himself up and scrambled over, using the chain links as a toehold. Now that he knows he can jump/climb out, we can't ever have him free in the back yard, even supervised. Even after obedience training, his recall is really not something that I feel will ever be reliable enough or trustworthy. All bets are off if there's a rabbit or squirrel within smelling distance. Ears turn off, nose turns on, and the deeply ingrained game-flushing instincts kick in. Although I know from experience that he WILL come back to the house when he's done with the chase, I have no confidence that he won't run out into traffic on the chase. So it's not worth it to me to let him roam freely, except at the dog park.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:31 PM

299 posts, read 1,008,830 times
I had a beagle mix who I could trust off-leash on my suburban property, and in certain areas of a county park we would visit regularly. I honestly don't remember specifically training her to behave off-leash. But after years (i.e., 8+) of ownership, it just became a natural step for us, as she was under voice control and had nearly a non-existent prey drive.

I just adopted a new beagle a couple of weeks ago, and I can't imagine ever having that kind of off-leash "understanding" with him. He is a true beagle through and through. My plan is to never, ever let him off-leash in an uninclosed area! But I know live in an urban area without a yard of my own, so "hanging out in the yard" isn't really an option. Luckily we have a city park directly across the street, which makes our schedule of 5 walks a day a little more managable.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The quintessential hound, ruled by the nose...one day, a rabbit darted through the yard and through the small gap between the gate and fence, and he launched himself up and scrambled over, using the chain links as a toehold.
The beagle rescue told me to not install a chain link fence because a hound will climb it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Now that he knows he can jump/climb out, we can't ever have him free in the back yard, even supervised.
How fast did he go over it? I would think there would be time to grab him by the neck if he started going up the fence while supervised.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:32 PM

99 posts, read 531,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The beagle rescue told me to not install a chain link fence because a hound will climb it.
We had a GSH Pointer that if kenneled and saw you loading up the truck, would cling to the chain link about 3 feet off of the ground and scream until you came to get her. It had a roof on it due to her climbing out, just like a human going up a rock wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs